Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Microfiber & CD Scratch Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 04:40 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Microfiber & CD Scratch Test

This is just a simple test, it's not rocket science. I wanted to see first hand what the difference is between over the counter microfiber products and the more expensive brands found online. I'm not trying to plug anyone or their brands and I'm not getting anything in return. This is just my own experience. I've spent close to $500 trying new products the last few weeks and the stuff below is some of what I got. Standard disclaimers apply, use at your own risk, YMMV.

I did the CD scratch test several times with blank Imation recordable CDs (not store bought, pressed music CDs). All towels used were brand new, never used or washed, with the exception of the Microtex. I tried both sides of each microfiber towel, wrapped around my finger and rubbed back and forth for 10-15 seconds with a lot of pressure - enough pressure to bend the CD. Any of the scratches I was able to put in the CDs were light and kind of hard to quantify. Nothing that would catch your fingernail, more like a very light compounding haze. But, some did "scratch". I think if you rub anything long and hard enough, you will see some form of blemish using the CD-R test method.

Products: Cobra Super Plush Deluxe Microfiber, Cobra Deluxe Jr. Microfiber, Cobra Ultimate Guzzler Towel, Miracle Towel Microfiber Towels, Zaino #314 Applicator Pad, Cobra Microfiber 4x6 Applicator Pads, DF Concours Towel - Alpine Fiber³:

These all did great. After several attempts, It was difficult to blemish the CD with anything worth commenting on. The DF Concours towel was only slightly easier to scratch the CD surface with repeated attempts, and even that was minimal. The exception: If I folded any of the towels and used just the material that binds the edge to rub against the CD, it would scratch.

Vroom brand Microfiber Chenille Wash Mit (Target), Cobra Microfiber Chenille Wash Mitt: Same for both. The fiber strands on the mitts passed as well as above, but...If I moved the fibers out of the way and rubbed a CD with just the backing material, the backing would scratch the CD.

White Microfiber Gloves: Left some very light scratches.
Martha Stewart bath towel hanging in my bathroom: Results on par with the Concours towel
Vroom brand Microfiber Towels (Target): Pretty good results. While I personally wouldn't have a problem using them, I'd put them slightly below the others.
Microtex Microfiber Towel by Calderon Textiles: These had been used and washed a few times. Don't know if that has anything to do with it, but they were able to leave some light scratches on the CD. I'll use these for cleaning.

I didn't come across anything scary, but I only tested 2 inexpensive brands as compared to the stuff I bought online. If i was going to buy something over the counter like bath towels or microfiber, I think I'd take a blank disc along for the hell of it. That's it!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:56 PM
PSU 98
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the post! I only have a couple Cobra MF towels but they are noticeably better quality than some of the others that I own.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:57 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A couple of ‘non-scientific tests’ you could use to assimilate wither or not a towel will cause scratches, they are not at all scientific nor 100% accurate, they are only indicative of what the towel may do to your paint surface, but then which is preferable to scratch a CD or your paint surface? Ensure the towels have been washed before carrying out these ‘tests’. If the towel does scratch the CD’s surface that doesn’t necessarily mean that it will scratch the vehicles paint, a CD has a much softer surface than automobile paint so use caution, initially trying an inconspicuous area

1) CD Scratch Test- with a micro fibre cloth, using medium to heavy pressure rub the data surface of a CD. If no scratching is evident then it probably won’t scratch the vehicles paint surface, be aware that the bindings can also cause scratching. On first use of a towel use it on an inconspicuous area first.

2) Burn Test-
to test a material for polyester content, light a thread, if it emits a black wisp of smoke and then shrivels up into a black hard ball, its polyester and will probably scratch your paint.

Information resource-DF Alpine™ (http://www.dftowel.com ) Autogeek (http://www.autogeek.net/leabmi.html)
Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

glad to see we stack up well , as noted it is the backing and ribbing on some towels that can do the most damage. Unfortunately it is not easy while cleaning to master missing these areas.

the reason most warn against the store bought mass quantity towels is that there is no quality control. You could have a dozen nice, and two that stink. Can you pick them out of a crowd without some testing ?? Thats the main reason to purchase from quality retailers. You might pay a little more but getting the best of the best, and usually a warranty if towel gives out quickly.
Old 06-19-2007, 02:08 PM
HYPRACTV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent thread! Thanks for posting this information!

Old 06-19-2007, 05:14 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Good job! You've provided a service to Corvette-kind.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:50 PM
awahl63
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

When testing wash mitts you should test them the same way they would be used.

They should be wet with car wash soap and then rub the CD.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:58 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
...the reason most warn against the store bought mass quantity towels ...You could have a dozen nice, and two that stink. ...Thats the main reason to purchase from quality retailers.
Agree 100%.
Thanks for the fantastic post, and all your expense and effort - it is a great contribution to this forum

My experience concurs with yours - Cobra MF, Pakshack MF (equal quality IMHO), and Ralph Lauren bath towels (100% USA cotton) are what I rely on.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 AM
tiggerrick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best way/proper products to use to wash the MF towels so that they continue to work as well as when brand new? Tide detergent? Woolite? Dawn? Should you use fabric softener?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:12 AM
HYPRACTV
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tiggerrick
What is the best way/proper products to use to wash the MF towels so that they continue to work as well as when brand new? Tide detergent? Woolite? Dawn? Should you use fabric softener?
X2

I have the exact same question... Thanks!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:46 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by tiggerrick
MF Towels should be washed and kept seperately from all other laundry including normal bath towels. They should never see any type of fabric softner, and some suggest a cool dryer only. I personally find that our Microrestore and Pinnacle Rejuvinator are best products to use versus soap as designed and concentrated for these towels. I use those "as seen on tv" dryer ***** to keep my towels looking new and fluffy.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:53 AM
0Tony @ Zaino
Former Vendor

There are many variables that contribute to the performance decline of microfiber towels over their usage lifespan. Significant factors would be their product usage, care, and the quality of your wash water.

• Wash with a liquid detergent without softeners that is intended for sensitive skins/those with allergies, or infants. For example, "Tide Free" or the Kirkland hypoallergenic.
• Do not use any bleach or fabric softeners.
• Do not mix microfiber product washing/drying with other non-microfiber products.
• Dry on low or air dry.
• Does it need to be stated? Do not iron microfiber towels.
• Designate various categories and a system of demotion. Your requirements will vary with your level of obsession.

There are also additives and special detergents that can assist to maintain or restore performance in some cases.

This list is on the not so extreme side of microfiber care.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

I just tried the cd scratch test on my microtex towels that I bought awhile back. I could not get them to scratch the cd even when using the edging around them.

Get notified of new replies

To Microfiber & CD Scratch Test

Quick Reply: Microfiber & CD Scratch Test