Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Product Review: Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Polist and Mothers Clay Bar

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 03:36 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Product Review: Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Polist and Mothers Clay Bar

This is a cross post from C4 but I thought it might go well here.

Since Im unemployed I figured what better thing to do than try out a new car polish. So the ol fake GS got a wash. (For those who saw the pics when I bought it..notice I de-stickered her too )

So I went to Walmart and purchased the Turtle Wax Ice polish and Mothers Clay Bar. I saw a commercial on TV that said you can apply it in direct sunlight with no ill effects. No to mention is safe to use on plastics and such ie the belt line on early C4s.

My review.

Mothers Clay Bar- this thing sucked.

A. Either my paint is REALLY clean
B. I was using it wrong.
C. It sucks.

I wasn't getting any debris coming off the car. I clay barred the entire front bumper. I did it exactly like the directions said. Im not sure but I will be returning it for my $15 back.

Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Polish-

Im not sure of the longevity of course but from an ease of application stand point, probably the easiest stuff Ive ever used. I did the whole car in ~ 30 minutes. It goes on easy, comes off easy. Absolutely no residue. If it stays on the car anytime at all I'll be very happy.

Obligatory pics.

Not a bad reflection...the car could use a wetsand but its a daily driver so...it ain't gonna happen
Old 06-14-2007, 04:50 PM
awahl63
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Noticed the Pulte tshirt...did you used to work with them. My dad worked with them up until about a month ago.

ICE is alright it just doesn't last long.
Old 06-14-2007, 04:55 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Yea i got laid off on friday I voluteered as I was moving to Atlanta and they had no room for a transfer.

Yea i was worried about the longevity of the product. It went on waay to easy. I might try their paste as a base. Id rather stay synthetic here in the south. Natural wax seemed to melt right off the car in Florida.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:14 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used the mother's clay on several cars with no problems. No scratching and it's pulled out plenty. With the exception of that last pic, your car looks pretty damn clean!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

yea that pic came out a lot worse than it looks in real life but i wanted to post it anyway. Some of it is reflection like the leaves on the bushes, but its a 77k mile car. I wouldn't want to drive it everyday if it was perfect.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:36 PM
Mouse2112
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at that smile in the last pic... Your one happy camper huh? Car looks great!
Old 06-14-2007, 07:45 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sweet looking car!
Old 06-15-2007, 01:32 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hmmm...
your car does look very well cared for -- is there a chance that you really did not have bonded contaminants on your bumper?

I'd just be delighted to find any claybar that doesn't scratch !
I'll file this away for the future. want to give Sonus Green a try, maybe I'll try Mother's as well , since two members here say it doesn't scratch.

nice pics !
Old 06-15-2007, 02:13 AM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

No denying the reflextion in that last pic, it might just be a little over exposed. Out of curiosity, what did you use for lube with the clay bar?
Old 06-15-2007, 03:28 PM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by C4boy
No denying the reflextion in that last pic, it might just be a little over exposed. Out of curiosity, what did you use for lube with the clay bar?
I think over exposure is probably correct. I didnt' speed up the shutter speed for the pics, just left it on auto.

The Mothers kit comes with some spray wax...i believe its their quick detailer. My other thread from C4 got moved here as well.

Perhaps I was too quick to judge the clay bar as many others have had success with it. It definitely did not scratch the paint.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:12 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Surfn, I have that same kit. Their QD is the stuff that smells like Dentine or Big Red gum . My guess is your car was pretty clean.

Get notified of new replies

To Product Review: Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Polist and Mothers Clay Bar

Quick Reply: Product Review: Turtle Wax ICE Liquid Polist and Mothers Clay Bar