Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Claybar question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 AM
Finster07
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Claybar question

I did the Zaino thing for the first time the other morning with the same results everyone talks about. The Monterey Red in the sunlight is gorgeous. Is this a great country or what. Anyway, I am curious about how I could claybar the entire car, and not see ANY dirt whatsoever on the claybar. I did the dawn wash, then did the claybar with the Zaino wash as a lubricant. No dirt. I received the car in March, use it as a daily driver. I did wash it all the time and always was waxing it with Meguiars NTX. So, either I did the claybar incorrectly or the car was extremely clean. Suggestions? Yea, Zaino rocks.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
grifster
Pro

Probably just a clean car (you cleaned it with dawn first, it is a degreaser). I do not think you can mess up the claybar method.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 AM
The Panther
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Your car was probably clean. I usually do not see much buildup on a claybar since I wash the car thoroughly before I use one. If I did see a lot of dirt on it I would stop claying and wash it again.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 AM
pit-pony
Burning Brakes

I find that a clay bar doesn't do much for a well maintained and regularly cleaned car. It's good for paint over spray and for a car that sits in very polluted and dirty conditions for a long time with little or no maintenance to the appearance. Save you time and money as on most cared for Corvettes it's a waste of effort.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:00 AM
tiggerrick
Racer

The only time my claybar was dirty was when I was using it on my 10 year old truck. I learned about the bar and used it for the first time. A lot of work, but worth it. On a new car you should not see very much, if anything at all.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:02 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I used a clay bar a while back and didn't notice much, if any, contaminants on the clay. I have also been using Meguiars NTX but recently bought the Zaino 'kit' which I hope to get-to soon. Looks like I'll be clay-barring the car once again.
Old 07-08-2007, 10:09 AM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

YOU FOLKS DO KNOW A CLAY BAR IS ACTUALLY AN ABRASIVE AND WILL CUT THROUGH THE PAINT IF USED TO MUCH. IF YOU CAR IS REALLY BAD THE TRASH HELD IN THE BAR MAKES SCRATCHES IN THE PAINT THEN YOU MUST USE FINISHES FINISHING COMPOUND BY 3 M TO REMOVE SCRATCHES.
z51vett
Old 07-08-2007, 10:12 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car is reletively new and you've maintained it well...no mystery here.

Zaino's recommendation to clay bar is de rigour because they don't know how degraded and abused the vehicle. Clay bar gives them the best starting place they can have without specifying a lot of work that will depend on the condition of the finish. Actually, you have to be careful with claybar...you can end up in worse shape than when you started if you're careless.

I just Zaino'ed the family hooptie...it's more than ten years old with little or no wax, and a history of automatic washes. The clear coat was showing signs of beginning distress on the top surfaces. I did the Dawn wash and clay bay...pulled a moderate amount of yellowish brownish material off the top surfaces, but not an excessive amount. Since it had a lot of micro-scratches in the clear, I then decided to buff it gently. I managed the buffing without catastrophe, and got it to a point where I said "Zaino is going to have to take it the rest of the way".

It turned out very nice; not new car paint, but I can have a little more confidence the clear will hold out now until we make the trade.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
BaBa Booey
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by z51vett
YOU FOLKS DO KNOW A CLAY BAR IS ACTUALLY AN ABRASIVE AND WILL CUT THROUGH THE PAINT IF USED TO MUCH. IF YOU CAR IS REALLY BAD THE TRASH HELD IN THE BAR MAKES SCRATCHES IN THE PAINT THEN YOU MUST USE FINISHES FINISHING COMPOUND BY 3 M TO REMOVE SCRATCHES.
z51vett

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1747238

Get notified of new replies

To Claybar question

Quick Reply: Claybar question