Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

No rinse car wash question

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 09:11 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No rinse car wash question

Hi,

I know that Optimum and DP and a couple others make "No rinse" car wash products. I also read a review on Autogeek I believe that said that you can stop in the middle of washing and come back and it leaves no water spots. Is this true about no spotting as I have a mr. clean autodry but would rather not bother with it if I don't have to and we do have a water ban on washing cars at the current moment.

But if it doesn't water spot, that would be the ultimate.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:09 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by robl45
...But if it doesn't water spot, that would be the ultimate.
That statement could only be factual if your using de - Ionized water (DI) that will provide spot-free vehicle washing by removing hard water minerals
Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

have you used the product?

Originally Posted by TOGWT
That statement could only be factual if your using de - Ionized water (DI) that will provide spot-free vehicle washing by removing hard water minerals
Old 07-19-2007, 08:32 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

The unit I use - The CR Spotless DI100WM provides approximately 100 gallons of mineral-free, de-ionized water that will provide spot-free vehicle washing and remove hard water minerals, based on your water input quality. It consists of two 10-inch de-ionization housings that feature replaceable cartridges that simply slide into the watertight tubes. This unit can be mounted next to your hose bib and comes with pre-drilled mounting holes.

Using a cation/anion mixture; you get twice the filter life than the mixed bed which comes with the unit. The cationic resin goes in one chamber and the anion resin goes in the other. You won't get the 0 PPM reading that you would get with the mixed bed, but it'll be around 5 PPM (spotless if less than, 25-30PPM)

Input TDS Level Expected Yield
50 PPM 1600 gallons
100 PPM 800 gallons
200 PPM 400 gallons
400 PPM 200 gallons

The unit has a water purity indicator light that, when plugged into any normal (I would advice the use of a TFI) AC outlet, illuminates when the de-ionization resin is still active, when the light no longer activates, it's time to replace the resin. (Includes two 10-inch cartridges, unit weight 30 Lbs.
CR Spotless http://www.crspotless.com/index

Only problem is that the unit is installed at my home in FL and for the time being I'm living in London, UK
Old 07-19-2007, 09:40 AM
robl45
Melting Slicks

All of this is great, but has nothing to do with my question. Not trying to be a jerk, but I specifically asked about the no rinse products and the claim of no water spots.

The unit I use - The CR Spotless DI100WM provides approximately 100 gallons of mineral-free, de-ionized water that will provide spot-free vehicle washing and remove hard water minerals, based on your water input quality. It consists of two 10-inch de-ionization housings that feature replaceable cartridges that simply slide into the watertight tubes. This unit can be mounted next to your hose bib and comes with pre-drilled mounting holes.

Using a cation/anion mixture; you get twice the filter life than the mixed bed which comes with the unit. The cationic resin goes in one chamber and the anion resin goes in the other. You won't get the 0 PPM reading that you would get with the mixed bed, but it'll be around 5 PPM (spotless if less than, 25-30PPM)

Input TDS Level Expected Yield
50 PPM 1600 gallons
100 PPM 800 gallons
200 PPM 400 gallons
400 PPM 200 gallons

The unit has a water purity indicator light that, when plugged into any normal (I would advice the use of a TFI) AC outlet, illuminates when the de-ionization resin is still active, when the light no longer activates, it's time to replace the resin. (Includes two 10-inch cartridges, unit weight 30 Lbs.

Only problem is that the unit is installed at my home in FL and for the time being I'm living in London, UK
Old 07-19-2007, 03:14 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

I appreciate your'e not trying to be a jerk, but great job for not trying...

I've used Rinseless wash products (ONR specifically) but as I stated if you leave water on a paint surface to dry via heat/sun it will water-spot.

My best suggestion is you direct your question at the person/company making the claims

Last edited by TOGWT; 07-19-2007 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:58 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

what about using the product and trying the panel afterward? I know the company will say the product works great so I'd rather get opinions from people that have used it.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Jon

Just as an FYI.

I had the same indictator (conductivity meter) light on my system. I just upgraded to the digital unit. It was around 40 dollars but gives you a read out of TDS input and output. I called CR and ordered it from them. Takes all the guess work out of changing the cartridges now. The light was ok, but the digital readout is much more accurate.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Rob

If you use the DP waterless auto wash from AG, you don't have to mix it with water as with some of the other products. It drys as you wipe the panel so it won't leave water spots.

From the AG website

DP Waterless Auto Wash dries as you wipe so there’s no risk of water spots or streaks. It preserves the existing paint protection so your vehicle looks freshly detailed any time.

http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-auto-wash.html

So the answer to your question would be, yes you can stop in the middle and come back to it without leaving any streaks provided you wipe the area that you sprayed the product on. Now if you don't wipe the product off, my guess is that it will streak.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

I didn't know they make a completely waterless one. Thats good to know for sure.

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Rob

If you use the DP waterless auto wash from AG, you don't have to mix it with water as with some of the other products. It drys as you wipe the panel so it won't leave water spots.

From the AG website

DP Waterless Auto Wash dries as you wipe so there’s no risk of water spots or streaks. It preserves the existing paint protection so your vehicle looks freshly detailed any time.

http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-auto-wash.html

So the answer to your question would be, yes you can stop in the middle and come back to it without leaving any streaks provided you wipe the area that you sprayed the product on. Now if you don't wipe the product off, my guess is that it will streak.
Old 07-21-2007, 08:06 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mrosa65
Jon

Just as an FYI.

I had the same indictator (conductivity meter) light on my system. I just upgraded to the digital unit. It was around 40 dollars but gives you a read out of TDS input and output. I called CR and ordered it from them. Takes all the guess work out of changing the cartridges now. The light was ok, but the digital readout is much more accurate.

Thanks - MROSA65 once I return to FL I'll definetly up-grade the unit to digital

Thanks for the info
Old 07-21-2007, 12:48 PM
black bart
Drifting

Hi,

I know that Optimum and DP and a couple others make "No rinse" car wash products. I also read a review on Autogeek I believe that said that you can stop in the middle of washing and come back and it leaves no water spots. Is this true about no spotting as I have a mr. clean autodry but would rather not bother with it if I don't have to and we do have a water ban on washing cars at the current moment.

I have not tried the DP but I use Poor boy's S&W and it works great.
The reason it is called NO RINSE is because you wipe it off with a dry towel so their will be no water to leave a spot.
When I travel to shows several miles from home my car gets pretty dusty and I use the S&W to clean it.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:47 PM
robl45
Melting Slicks

The poor boys is waterless though right, no bucket? I'm looking at the completely waterless ones as well but don't know how well they will work for normal cleaning.

Originally Posted by black bart
I have not tried the DP but I use Poor boy's S&W and it works great.
The reason it is called NO RINSE is because you wipe it off with a dry towel so their will be no water to leave a spot.
When I travel to shows several miles from home my car gets pretty dusty and I use the S&W to clean it.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:08 PM
black bart
Drifting

The poor boys is waterless though right, no bucket? I'm looking at the completely waterless ones as well but don't know how well they will work for normal cleaning.
Since you aren't getting good info on it here try Detail City their are several that use it all the time and they have discussed all three and how they compare.
Unless you car is really dirty it will work. I have seen photos before and after of cars washed with them and I would not consider using it on a car that dirty but it came out great with no scratches.
Like I said earlier I use S&W on my Black show car but it is not very dirty.
If I was going to use it on a car that was filthy from winter driving I would wash it first at a Quarter car wash but use the high pressure water only to get the heavy stuff rinsed off then go home and use the rinseless wash.
If you have a garage this would keep you from making a water mess and you would not be washing at the car wash just rinsing off the heavy dirt.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Cole
Pro

Hi,

I use ONR. Its very "wet" with some terrific surfactants to make it "sheet". Its my car wash of choice for the Denali which is just too d--- big to wash, rinse, blow, wipe, detail spray. I use ONR, hit the glass with ZAIO monthly now that I discovered how good it is on glass - better than Rain-X. Touch up the wheel wells, tires, wheels and the car looks superb. It really seems to work fine in Arizona sun with no problems which makes it convenient because the shade patch and my available hours never coincide.

On the vette, I wash traditionally and try to stick with Zaino products because they have been so good for that car.

Get notified of new replies

To No rinse car wash question

Quick Reply: No rinse car wash question