Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

When to Apply Bra / Zaino

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 07:43 PM
CaptainKaboom
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When to Apply Bra / Zaino

I haven't ordered my vette yet, but I have been doing some due diligence on what to do once it comes in.

I am seriously considering getting a Bra (maybe even the 3M Clear Bra), and then getting Zaino (which seems to be the thing to do). I tripped over this site, which goes into a LOT of detail around getting a car prepped / cleaned for a show, I plan on using some of the suggestions going forward

http://www.red-corvettes.com/detail.shtml

Anyway, if a new vette comes home from the dealer, and you immediately wash it with Dawn, does that take all of the wax off of the car ? Does dawn work that quickly removing wax ?

As the car would be new, I don't *think* you would need to Claybar it ?

I would then think you would do a wash with the Zaino product before doing the Z2.

Thoughts ?
Old 07-22-2007, 08:20 PM
Sven
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

The 3M Clear Bra is money well-spent; just don't buy it through the dealer ... it will cost you an extra $500-700!

Zaino after purchase is highly recommended, plus you're spending quality time with somone you love!

Dawn will take off any wax. Look here, also, for additional insights on car care: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10
Old 07-22-2007, 08:39 PM
CaptainKaboom
Advanced

DO you think the Claybar is needed, especially if the car is brand new?

I haven't tried it, but I am going to get some and try it on my son's car, just to get an idea of how it works.

I also found out, that for some reason, Zaino doesn't ship to NJ - Not sure why, must be some distribution deal they cut ..
Old 07-22-2007, 08:53 PM
jcurley290
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Welcome, you should clay bar it will remove all impurities on the paint and give you a good starting point. I did mine about a week ago came out great. You have to go slow and use a lot of water with car-wash to lubricate the clay. Read the Zaine FAQ they answer a lot of questions.

Almost forgot Zaino is based in NJ.

Last edited by jcurley290; 07-22-2007 at 08:56 PM.
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM
keyplyr
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainKaboom
I haven't tried it [Claybar], but I am going to get some and try it on my son's car...
Old 07-22-2007, 08:56 PM
dwilcox
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

I did not clay bar mine or even do the test to see if the clay bar procedure was needed. There is a test you can perform with saran wrap I think - it is discussed on the Zaino site. My 07 was built on 01-10-07 and I took delivery on 03-01 so I just put 3 coats on and that was it. Too anxious to drive - I figured I would do the test and rewash with the clay bar and re-Zaino if needed - but just like before - too anxious to drive- enjoy........
Old 07-22-2007, 09:06 PM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,436 Likes on 780 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I did not claybar mine from new either. I did install a GM bra for the ride home from the museum and then washed it and Zainoed it after I got home. I used Z7 wash, Z1 and Z2 afterwards. I keep Z8 handy and spritz it before I cruise. Z6 will work as well but I prefer the ease and shine of the Z8.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:29 PM
Doughan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts
Elite Member
Cruise-In III Veteran

I have the clear bra on mine and I'm glad I did. No worries about rock chips/sand blasting/bugs. The installer will strip all the wax off before installing a clear bra.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:57 PM
Frankie2blue
Melting Slicks

Received 272 Likes on 144 Posts

What exactly is Zaino made up of anyway? Is is a wax or is it some sort of poly type coating that applies to the paint? Also, how hard is it to rmove if you wanted to? Where is the best place to get it? Also, I heard it is best to let new paint cure some before waxing or sealing. Is that true?
Old 07-23-2007, 07:00 AM
Tally Ho
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Out Where the Buses Don't Run, Eglin AFB/ Niceville FL
Received 1,436 Likes on 780 Posts
2022 Corvette of the Year Finalist -- Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
What exactly is Zaino made up of anyway? Is is a wax or is it some sort of poly type coating that applies to the paint? Also, how hard is it to rmove if you wanted to? Where is the best place to get it? Also, I heard it is best to let new paint cure some before waxing or sealing. Is that true?
Your paint is cured when you pick up the car.

www.zainobros.com
Old 07-23-2007, 12:14 PM
mrosa65
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Frankie2blue
Frankie

Zaino is a polymer sealant (Think of wax on steroids). It's easy to apply and will eventually wear off like any other product (just takes longer which is a good thing) . It has outstanding durability and looks.

It's very easy to apply and if you should want to remove it, just get a cheap spray bottle and fill it half way with water and the other half with isopropyl alcohol. Spray it on and wipe it off, the Zaino is now gone (that's called a 50/50 wipe).

You can buy it online at www.zainostore.com

As far as paint on a brand new car. It's ready to wax or seal the second it leaves the factory.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:37 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Just ordered the ultimate car show kit.

Get notified of new replies

To When to Apply Bra / Zaino

Quick Reply: When to Apply Bra / Zaino