Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Confused by Claybar Information

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:08 AM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused by Claybar Information

I want to claybar my car but I am not sure if I should. I have read so many positives on the claybar but recently have been told some horror stories about claybar usage! Please help me out with whatever advice and stories you can share. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:56 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Get a mild clay. Some of the more abrasive clays can leave marring, but it can come out with a quick buffing with the PC and a paint cleaner or an AIO product in my experiences.

Just don't rub with a lot of pressure and don't rub in the same spot too much, this can all lead to marring.

Josh
Old 08-30-2007, 01:11 AM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JoshVette
Get a mild clay. Some of the more abrasive clays can leave marring, but it can come out with a quick buffing with the PC and a paint cleaner or an AIO product in my experiences.

Just don't rub with a lot of pressure and don't rub in the same spot too much, this can all lead to marring.

Josh

If you end up with "marring" how is that repaired? New paint or can buffing take that out?
Old 08-30-2007, 01:17 AM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoore
If you end up with "marring" how is that repaired? New paint or can buffing take that out?
Buffing can take it out, you could probably even get it out by hand.

If you clay it correctly you shouldn't get too much marring if any at all.

What color is your car??

Josh
Old 08-30-2007, 01:26 AM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

Car is a 2000 the dark blue, not sure of what the exact name of the dark blue is. The paint is in very good condition, the previous owner took excellent care of the car and always kept it waxed. There are a few nicks in the paint from stones etc hitting the paint.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:13 AM
gasboy
Racer

i have used zaino clay a few times.always had good results.really makes the paint smooth.no marring or scratching.
Old 08-30-2007, 05:35 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

A pc7424 is a very user friendly tool and something you should have. I would get one first and plan on polishing after claying.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:50 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Whichever clay you choose to use I believe the key to not causing any marring is to KEEP IT WELL LUBRICATED and use light pressure. Let it glide over the surface. The Mother's kit which is available in most local auto stores comes with a spray detailer/lubricant. I have used almost 2/3 of a bottle of this on one car just to make sure it stays lubricated. Small price to pay for not causing any damage.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:55 PM
daddoe
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like this write up on Autopia that discusses the use of clay. Maybe it will help you make an informed decision.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html
Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
dmoore
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by capevettes
Whichever clay you choose to use I believe the key to not causing any marring is to KEEP IT WELL LUBRICATED and use light pressure. Let it glide over the surface. The Mother's kit which is available in most local auto stores comes with a spray detailer/lubricant. I have used almost 2/3 of a bottle of this on one car just to make sure it stays lubricated. Small price to pay for not causing any damage.
That is the kit I just bought at Autozone! I hope it works.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:22 PM
BaBa Booey
Burning Brakes

Be Careful Clay bars can do damage. Use a strong halogen light when using the clay bar to see if you're leaving scratches. I did get scratches but only noticed them after I was finished and checked with a light.
People on here will tell you you can't do damage with a clay bar if used correctly...BS. A clay bars is an abrasive, clear coats don't like abrasives.
I'm not saying clay bars shouldn't be used. I'm saying be extremely careful.

Check out bugman's site http://www.bugmanweb.com. He has lots of good info...including how to repair clay bar marring.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:28 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dmoore
That is the kit I just bought at Autozone! I hope it works.
I used it on my '85 which already has some paint problems and it really did clean up a lot of issues with it, made it look a lot better.

My girlfriend liked the results a lot and tried it on her black 06 mazda 3 and is amazed, she commented on how she had forgotten how nice her car looked.

If you have a brand new car, and baby the heck out of it, claybarring might not do a lot for you, but if you have one that is driven a lot and has seen some abuse, maybe not washed or waxed as often as it should be, it's worth a shot. That mothers kit is easy to use, and you'll probably go through most of the detailer in it using it as lubricant, but it's worth it imo.

David
Old 08-31-2007, 11:36 PM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steve8
A pc7424 is a very user friendly tool and something you should have. I would get one first and plan on polishing after claying.

excellent advice.
I really think it should be against the law to sell anyone clay unless he can prove he has buffer experience.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:29 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not known as a man of few words so this will be the exception-

Detailer's clay is an abrasive, any abrasive product applied to a paint surface will cause micro marring or scratches (even the softest micro fibre towel will)
Old 09-02-2007, 02:10 AM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by daddoe
I like this write up on Autopia that discusses the use of clay. Maybe it will help you make an informed decision.
http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html
that is a great write up, honest and informative

if the fear of God has been put into people about using claybar on their new car, great! not so they won't use it, but so they will educate themselves before using it rather than jumping in with both feet
Old 09-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Justardnck
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by capevettes
I purchased the Meguiars kit a few months ago and it was slick as hell, it came with 2 clay bars in a cool storage case (like a travel soap kit), spray detailer for lubrication, a cleaner wax and a very nice micro fiber towel for like $16 at PepBoys

http://www.meguiars.com/?auto-detail...rface-Clay-Kit

Get notified of new replies

To Confused by Claybar Information

Quick Reply: Confused by Claybar Information