Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Fingernail Test On Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Bob Ward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fingernail Test On Scratches

Noticed a little hairline scratch below my license plate. Tried the fingernail test to see if I could feel it. Now I have fingernail scratches going perpendicular across the original scratch.

I have always heard the Corvette clearcoat was superhard. How could a soft fingernail being lightly moved across the paint cause scratches in the clearcoat? Maybe the fact that the car is black makes such scratches show up more than other colors.

I put some Z5Pro on the area and hid about 80% of the damage, but you can still see some very fine remnants of the scratches when looking at the right angle.

Guess my next step will be to try the PC with some Menserna FP.

Anyone had problems with the fingernail test before?

Bob
Old 11-09-2007, 07:33 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Just because it is hard paint does not mean it is hard to scratch. Actually it is the opposite. Hard paint is easier to scratch, soft paint is more rubbery and absorbd the scratch and resist chipping and scratching better.

Give ZPC and a ROB a try to remove your scratch. If you use FPII just make sure you remove the oils with a 50/50 wipe or Z7 wash before re-applying your Z5p.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This is an interesting thread that addresses your question. http://www.detailuniversity.com/foru...so-easily.html

I have had the fingernail problem from using my fingernail to clean the wax line along the clear bra edge on my hood. Just removed the clear bra and there was a scratch along the hood line. Nothing that MIP could not take care of
Old 11-09-2007, 09:58 PM
C4boy
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I did the same thing on my dad's Honda (soft, black paint). Just some hard skin on my fingers put some light scratches back in the surface.

Get notified of new replies

To Fingernail Test On Scratches

Quick Reply: Fingernail Test On Scratches