Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wax recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 07:42 AM
14 Red Z51 Vette
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Wax recommendation

It looks like I am going to have to wax my car again after 1 wash on the recent NXT wax job. I know that Zaino is the best way to go, but frankly I do not want to spend that much time with all the layers, etc. I am looking for the shine of the NXT, but want it to last for a while. Any suggestions?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:01 AM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I like either the Meguiar's Gold Class Liquid Wax or Wolfgang Deep Gloss Paint Sealant. Both shine great and are farily fast to apply. I have not tried Zaino yet but I don't know if anything beats the durability of Meguiar's Gold Class Clear Coat Wax though it is a paste and takes a little longer to use.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 AM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Zymol is almost as good as Zaino but depending on where you buy it can be expensive.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:04 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

You don't need all the layers with Zaino. One coat of Z2 and you're good to go. Don't even need to add ZFX. I've done many cars this way - lasted as long as two years. The rest is hype to get you to buy more products. Kind of like "shampoo, rinse, repeat". I've never repeated my shampoo.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 AM
skierjp
Advanced

REJEX- I've used probably all the popular products but Zanio. Rejex is great, you can really see the difference. The ultimate test is when you wash your car, the bugs hose right off. I drove my car in and out of thunderstorms from Orlando to Lakeland, the next day the car looked like I had washed it from 10 feet away. This wax is also the easiest wax to apply and remove. Try it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

I use Meguaires Cleaner Wax #6. I put the Zaino in the garbage, wasn't impressed.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM
als2052
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by skierjp
REJEX- I've used probably all the popular products but Zanio. Rejex is great, you can really see the difference. The ultimate test is when you wash your car, the bugs hose right off. I drove my car in and out of thunderstorms from Orlando to Lakeland, the next day the car looked like I had washed it from 10 feet away. This wax is also the easiest wax to apply and remove. Try it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:19 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 228 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by skierjp
Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 AM
epshaw
Advanced

Rejex is very nice...easy also.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 AM
pwoolford
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Where can you find Rejex? Sounds like its worth a try. I can order it online but I'd rather get it locally so I can try it over the holiday.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 AM
08Roadster
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Give C-Magic a try...easy on/off and does a GREAT job.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:42 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Rejex on the paint and metal surfaces( wheels, exhaust)
long lasting paint sealant, deeper colors, wet look, bugs and brake dust don't stick.
NOT quite as long lasting as Zaino, NOT quite as reflective as Zaino BUT it does not have a plastic look.

I use it on my '88 C4, my wife's '01 C5 and my '08 Z06....
Any wax/sealant will make a new car lok great...
Here's Rejex on the 20 year old paint on my '88 C4

Last edited by rws.1; 11-21-2007 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:43 AM
joec
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts

while I've never used NXT having to wax it again after one car wash doesn't sound right.. What'd you wash it with??
Old 11-21-2007, 08:46 AM
bugn
Racer

Originally Posted by pwoolford
Where can you find Rejex? Sounds like its worth a try. I can order it online but I'd rather get it locally so I can try it over the holiday.

Try your local True Value hardware store, sometimes they stock it.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:47 AM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by pwoolford
I believe I have seen people directed to ACE hardware stores for rejex, if you check their website they probably have a list of local vendors
Old 11-21-2007, 08:50 AM
RED2008Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by als2052
Old 11-21-2007, 08:54 AM
photoguy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are literally THOUSANDS of posts on this in car care section!!

Get notified of new replies

To Wax recommendation

Old 11-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I think your 'fear' of Zaino is unwarranted. I used to use NXT paste wax and I wasn't dissatisfied with the results. After reading about Zaino for years and realizing its' almost cult following, I decided to give it a try.

I did it by the book. IMO the only hassle or labor intensive part was the initial prep process...stripping the old wax, clay-barring the car, re-washing, using white 100% cotton made in the USA towels. I skipped the Z5 as I didn't have a lot of swirl marks and went right to the Z2 polish. Adding-in a few drops of accelerator isn't a big deal. The polish applies as easy or easier than paste wax...comes off cleanly. The main difference I found was it's difficult to see as you apply it. I tended to use a little too much but no real problems.

It took me a week or so before I decided Zaino was superior to NXT. I believe Zaino is optically clearer than NXT, the finish appears a bit darker or wetter, water beading is great and it seems more durable...lasting longer between applications than with NXT paste wax.

I suggest you give Zaino a try. After the initial prep using Zaino is no more difficult than using NXT.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Ozone
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Wayne O
I think your 'fear' of Zaino is unwarranted. I used to use NXT paste wax and I wasn't dissatisfied with the results. After reading about Zaino for years and realizing its' almost cult following, I decided to give it a try.

I did it by the book. IMO the only hassle or labor intensive part was the initial prep process...stripping the old wax, clay-barring the car, re-washing, using white 100% cotton made in the USA towels. I skipped the Z5 as I didn't have a lot of swirl marks and went right to the Z2 polish. Adding-in a few drops of accelerator isn't a big deal. The polish applies as easy or easier than paste wax...comes off cleanly. The main difference I found was it's difficult to see as you apply it. I tended to use a little too much but no real problems.

It took me a week or so before I decided Zaino was superior to NXT. I believe Zaino is optically clearer than NXT, the finish appears a bit darker or wetter, water beading is great and it seems more durable...lasting longer between applications than with NXT paste wax.

I suggest you give Zaino a try. After the initial prep using Zaino is no more difficult than using NXT.

It's not nearly as difficult as it sounds. I'll admit, I too was a little intimidated by all the stuff I read, and even after I bought my Zaino kit, it sat on the counter for a couple of weeks before I gathered up the courage to "Just Do It". Once I started, it was a very smooth process...and the upkeep takes 45 minutes...TOPS. Good Luck.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:05 AM
OnionCrk
Instructor

Zymol or Griot's Best of Show.....

Quick Reply: Wax recommendation