Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Sun & time & clear bra

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 12:25 AM
vetteship
Safety Car

Received 71 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Sun & time & clear bra

I've searched this forum and read the various posts, and now my head hurts , Anyway, I could not find anywhere wether or not the paint under the clear bra will be different than the rest of the car once the bra is removed after a while (2-3 years down the line).
Will there be a difference between the clear bra covered paint, and the non covered paint ?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 12:56 AM
marc4427
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteship
I've searched this forum and read the various posts, and now my head hurts , Anyway, I could not find anywhere wether or not the paint under the clear bra will be different than the rest of the car once the bra is removed after a while (2-3 years down the line).
Will there be a difference between the clear bra covered paint, and the non covered paint ?
Thanks
With the research I did the answer is no change in color. Once I get my car I will install the clear bra.
Old 01-08-2008, 06:31 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marc4427
With the research I did the answer is no change in color. Once I get my car I will install the clear bra.
A clear coat has a UV absorbent (which is a sacrificial protection that requires renewal) so provided you use a product that is formulated with UV protection (Zanio, Optimum, etc) the colour should not fade

Most reputable clear auto mask (3M) have a UV absorbent in-built, and should be renewed as above
Old 01-08-2008, 11:55 AM
PD Auto Concepts
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having been in the business just about a year, we have yet to see any fading effects from a 3M clear bra. Obviously, there are occurances where something like this may happen, but it would be a very small %.

As with any product, this too has a "end of life" to it. The clear bra is a semi-permanent protection against damage. We have seen bras which after a 5 year period, have begun to crack, fade, etc, however these were older style films WITHOUT a UV clear coat added. Vehicles which are outside 24/7 will wear faster than a vehicle that is garaged most of the time, an obvious occurence.

The newest 3M films provide a clear coat against UV rays, and provide other benefits which include the ability to be buffed if needed (albeit with a diminishing abrasive product such as ScratchX, etc).

I hope this provides a little knowledge for you guys!

-Dave

Last edited by PD Auto Concepts; 01-08-2008 at 11:58 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Sun & time & clear bra

Quick Reply: Sun & time & clear bra