Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Only dreamed it could look this good...the search is over!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:27 PM
AbsolutHank
Melting Slicks

Received 295 Likes on 90 Posts

Default Only dreamed it could look this good...the search is over!!

After years of chasing swirls and micro scratches in all my previous Trans Ams and C5 Vette, I just haven't been able to nail down a process/products that works all the time, with 100% effectiveness. While the PC did a great job in establishing a great shine with all the other polishes/waxes I've used, it just couldn't do a good enough job with the scratches.

So, from paste wax to Meguiars Gold Glass to NXT to Turtle Wax Ice to Klasse to Pinnacle Souveran to Adam's to 3M to Rejex and now to Zaino/Menzerna, the end is finally here!

After member FLATOUT gave me a little demonstration on the hood of my C6, I knew I had to round up all of these products and go over the entire car! The process is as follows:

Claybar
Menzerna Intensive Polish via orange Lake County pad on PC
Menzerna Final Polish via white Lake County pad on PC
Zaino ZPC via white Lake County pad on PC
Zaino Clear Seal via hand application

Wow...what a difference!

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. At the gas station today after my detailing session, two guys ran up to my car and said it was the cleanest, shiniest car they've ever seen...they agreed it looked better than showroom condition! Now, I've had lots of compliments on my cars through the years, but never have had people damn near fall over themselves to specifically tell me how great the paint looked, not the car.

I've had close to this look before, but never with any real durability. After the first rain storm and subsequent washing, all the oils washed away and the light scratches were still left behind. I'm confident the scrathces are gone, and even when they are introduced again by washing and quick detailing, I have a process to remove them...it sounds so simple, but I'm just damn exicted to have this as an option
Old 03-29-2008, 07:15 PM
ZaneO
Safety Car

Received 28 Likes on 5 Posts

Yep, the Menzerna + Zaino combo has been one of my favorites for quite some time. Consistent and lasting results.

I do prefer Z5 Pro and Z8 though.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 PM
MarkRx
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

final polish or FPC II? no 106ff? ever try the detail dude product line?
Old 03-29-2008, 10:27 PM
FLATOUT
Temporary Hold

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AbsolutHank
After years of chasing swirls and micro scratches in all my previous Trans Ams and C5 Vette, I just haven't been able to nail down a process/products that works all the time, with 100% effectiveness. While the PC did a great job in establishing a great shine with all the other polishes/waxes I've used, it just couldn't do a good enough job with the scratches.

So, from paste wax to Meguiars Gold Glass to NXT to Turtle Wax Ice to Klasse to Pinnacle Souveran to Adam's to 3M to Rejex and now to Zaino/Menzerna, the end is finally here!

After member FLATOUT gave me a little demonstration on the hood of my C6, I knew I had to round up all of these products and go over the entire car! The process is as follows:

Claybar

Wow...what a difference!

As they say, the proof is in the pudding. At the gas station today after my detailing session, two guys ran up to my car and said it was the cleanest, shiniest car they've ever seen...they agreed it looked better than showroom condition! Now, I've had lots of compliments on my cars through the years, but never have had people damn near fall over themselves to specifically tell me how great the paint looked, not the car.

I've had close to this look before, but never with any real durability. After the first rain storm and subsequent washing, all the oils washed away and the light scratches were still left behind. I'm confident the scrathces are gone, and even when they are introduced again by washing and quick detailing, I have a process to remove them...it sounds so simple, but I'm just damn exicted to have this as an option
Wow Ryan I am so glad it worked out so well! Yeh man that combo kicks a$$ ! I can't wait to see the car now! Anyways I am just super happy for you, as I too have spent years using everything under the sun to get the paint just right, and it feels so good to finally get it "right'!

Congrats Ryan!
Old 03-30-2008, 02:08 AM
bugman
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey great post -
that's almost identical to my favorite as well.

one comment: next time try just the MIP - then Z-PC fusion (my favorite)
those two steps should give you the same results. Might save you a little time rather than a 3-step polishing process.
And for truly minor halo scratches, the Z-PC fusion alone can often do the trick (in that case with orange pad and PC setting of 6).

Can you post up any "after" pics?
Old 03-30-2008, 08:57 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

I use a similar approach, but as Bugman said I would eliminate the Menz finishing polish.
The ZPC is really a finishing polish, and also it's a great base for the Z sealants.
I would highly recommend you add a few coats of Z5P to your routine after the ZPC. After your car is prepped, application/removal of three coats of Z5P will be incredibly easy and productive. Please trust me on this, you will be even happier.
You could, but not as necessary as the Z5P, add a couple of coats of Z2P after the Z5.
Z8 after the ZCS will also take it one more step.
Broken record time, add the Z5P to your routine.
Old 03-30-2008, 10:31 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Yep, the Menzerna + Zaino combo has been one of my favorites for quite some time. Consistent and lasting results.

I do prefer Z5 Pro and Z8 though.

Originally Posted by MarkRx
final polish or FPC II? no 106ff? ever try the detail dude product line?
Not yet, but will try it very soon.

I also prefer the Ceramic line of polishes SIP and 106FF over the IP and FPII but both work very nice.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:53 AM
FrankZ06
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the Menzerna final polish followed by the The Detail Dude bulletproof sealant on the hood of my trans am and the results were nothing short of awesome.. I had previously used the Zaino fusion and it did a good job of getting most of the scratches out. Be careful with the fusion on black because sometimes it causes some marring. It just takes a little practice to get it right. I haven't tried to Menzerna intensive polish yet, but it's on the list. My Trans am doesn't get out very often so its pretty much perfect.. I'll probably use it on my wife's Tahoe.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:24 PM
vette4db
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AbsolutHank

Claybar

Wow...what a difference!

In the Menzerna line of products, which ones are the Intensive polish and final polish? What are the the product numbers? I see different items with pretty much the same name.
Old 03-31-2008, 06:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by vette4db
In the Menzerna line of products, which ones are the Intensive polish and final polish? What are the the product numbers? I see different items with pretty much the same name.
I highly suggest SIP and 106FF on a Vette specifically, but here are the two you are looking for above.

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-intensive-polish.html (IP)

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-final-polish.html (FP)

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-intro-kit.html (both)
Old 04-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Lew W
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Simonize
Old 04-03-2008, 07:01 PM
dougatl
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Hank- glad after trying the rest, you discovered the best, Zaino is the best, end of story for the deepest, wettest, long lasting shine.
doug

Get notified of new replies

To Only dreamed it could look this good...the search is over!!

Quick Reply: Only dreamed it could look this good...the search is over!!