Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

light scratches

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:24 PM
Finster07
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default light scratches

Picked up my kid at school today. I watched one of his friends drag a platic water bottle from my passenger door off the end of the rear deck. The scratches are clearly visible under flourescent lights, not so much in the sun. Can't feel them with my fingernail. I use Zaino for almost a year now. Put on 2 coats of Z-2, and it didn't help much as far as I can tell. I do not have a PC or buffer.

Any suggestions???

Thanks.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

If your going to do it by hand, try Meguiars Scratch X. It's a real mild product and can work with quick touch ups for minor stuff. Might take a couple of applications and a little elbow grease but, without a PC or rotary your limited in what you can correct....

It doesn't sound too bad so, good luck......
Old 05-10-2008, 12:51 AM
KLO
Safety Car

Keeping in the Zaino line up, use Zaino ZPC Fusion by hand should clear it up.
Old 05-10-2008, 01:16 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KLO
Keeping in the Zaino line up, use Zaino ZPC Fusion by hand should clear it up.
With plenty of elbow grease, you should add. Your scratch situation sounds like what I had in this video. Look at what a PC and some ZPC can do for you in just a couple of minutes.

I got those results and I was actually moving the PC a little too fast. That really shows how effective it is. Just guess how much time a PC would save you when waxing your car. AutoGeek has a bunch of specials. Take the plunge young man, get'er done!

Last edited by Junkman2008; 05-10-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:43 AM
01SikVette
Former Vendor

Junkman2008: Do you know if the PC can burn corners/edges? After seeing your vid on how easy it is to use a pc I'm going to be getting one real soon.
Old 05-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1SikVette
Junkman2008: Do you know if the PC can burn corners/edges? After seeing your vid on how easy it is to use a pc I'm going to be getting one real soon.
If you were to take the hardest pad they make with some heavy cut cleaner, turn the PC on #6 and hold it against the edge of the car, then yep...you can take some paint off the corners.

However, you would never do that. Because of the design of the PC, you have to be attempting to damage the car in order to do so, or you have to be using it carelessly. The PC is a "dual action" orbital buffer. The best way to explain what that means is posted on AutoGeek's website:

Dual action polishers are characterized by the motion of the head. It spins on a central spindle, and this spindle rotates around an eccentric offset. A good metaphor for a dual action polisher is the earth’s orbit. The earth itself spins (on a central spindle), and it also orbits around the sun. Dual action polishers are also called random orbital polishers for this reason.

Because of this action and the fact that the motor in the PC-7424 is NOT as powerful as the motor in a regular buffer, it makes it hard for a dual action polisher to do damage if used correctly with the right materials. If you were to sit it in one spot, the head of the unit is actually spinning all around that spot as well as in that spot. As you apply pressure, the head starts to slow down which lessens the ability of the PC to do damage. I didn't say it won't do damage, just that you have to be careless to actually do so. They say it is so easy to use that a monkey could use it. What you saw in that video is my ability after 3 months of use. I will admit however, that I practiced extensively on my rust bucket daily driver BEFORE I got next to my Vette with it, and I practiced a whole lot. I also watched a DVD on how to use the PC, and I ordered the Zaino starter kit which included properly prepping my car using the instructions from the kit to the letter.

Here's another thread that I did where I went into more detail about using the PC-7424. I will say this, once you get this thing and learn how to use it, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner and you won't believe the results that you'll get in half the time. You can order it from AutoGeek's website, but I suggest you call them and explain your situation so that they can direct you in the right direction as to which package to buy. They have different packages right now that include the PC so you want to get the best bang for your buck. They are very informative and I like the fact that they take the time to hold your hand when suggesting which of their products to buy.

You're gonna love this buffer.

Last edited by Junkman2008; 05-10-2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:19 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

As offered its time to get a buffer, stick to the random orbital design and you have safe choices between PC, Megs G110, and Flex. Because of the additional power most will upgrade to the Flex later, so might be wise to spend a couple more bucks and do it from the start. Let me know if I can help ....
Old 05-10-2008, 07:34 AM
Junkman2008
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
As offered its time to get a buffer, stick to the random orbital design and you have safe choices between PC, Megs G110, and Flex. Because of the additional power most will upgrade to the Flex later, so might be wise to spend a couple more bucks and do it from the start. Let me know if I can help ....
Since the Flex is not a dual action polisher, it is a lot more dangerous in the hands of a novice user. Would you recommend this buffer to someone who has never used a buffer and who has had no type of training? I personally have been able to work wonders with my PC and since I'm not in the car detailing business, I don't see any need to go with anything stronger in the future. Maybe if I had a fleet of cars or was in the detailing business, I would consider upgrading. Since I'm only using it on one well kept vehicle and my results have safely been achieved, I can't see myself upgrading anytime in the future. The PC is such a well built machine, I might just buy another just in case they discontinue it.
Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 AM
01SikVette
Former Vendor

Great info. Considering I've never used a PC before, I'm planning on getting some practice in (use on dd first) before using it on the Vette.

Geek: I'll be sure to give you guys a call when I grow some ***** and decide to finally get a PC.

Originally Posted by Junkman2008
If you were to take the hardest pad they make with some heavy cut cleaner, turn the PC on #6 and hold it against the edge of the car, then yep...you can take some paint off the corners.

However, you would never do that. Because of the design of the PC, you have to be attempting to damage the car in order to do so, or you have to be using it carelessly. The PC is a "dual action" orbital buffer. The best way to explain what that means is posted on AutoGeek's website:

Dual action polishers are characterized by the motion of the head. It spins on a central spindle, and this spindle rotates around an eccentric offset. A good metaphor for a dual action polisher is the earth’s orbit. The earth itself spins (on a central spindle), and it also orbits around the sun. Dual action polishers are also called random orbital polishers for this reason.

Because of this action and the fact that the motor in the PC-7424 is NOT as powerful as the motor in a regular buffer, it makes it hard for a dual action polisher to do damage if used correctly with the right materials. If you were to sit it in one spot, the head of the unit is actually spinning all around that spot as well as in that spot. As you apply pressure, the head starts to slow down which lessens the ability of the PC to do damage. I didn't say it won't do damage, just that you have to be careless to actually do so. They say it is so easy to use that a monkey could use it. What you saw in that video is my ability after 3 months of use. I will admit however, that I practiced extensively on my rust bucket daily driver BEFORE I got next to my Vette with it, and I practiced a whole lot. I also watched a DVD on how to use the PC, and I ordered the Zaino starter kit which included properly prepping my car using the instructions from the kit to the letter.

Here's another thread that I did where I went into more detail about using the PC-7424. I will say this, once you get this thing and learn how to use it, you'll kick yourself for not doing it sooner and you won't believe the results that you'll get in half the time. You can order it from AutoGeek's website, but I suggest you call them and explain your situation so that they can direct you in the right direction as to which package to buy. They have different packages right now that include the PC so you want to get the best bang for your buck. They are very informative and I like the fact that they take the time to hold your hand when suggesting which of their products to buy.

You're gonna love this buffer.
Old 05-10-2008, 09:37 AM
Finster07
Pro

OUTSTANDING! I may start with the Maguires, but I see a PC in my future.

Thanks guys, this is all very helpful.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:28 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

Z2 won't do anything to help.
Z5 may, but probably not.
Definitely invest in a PC and some ZPC. ZPC is pretty mild, but great stuff.
I have used MIP, but some say SIP is even better. Then I follow up with the ZPC as my finishing polish.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:06 AM
Finster07
Pro

Originally Posted by steve8
Z2 won't do anything to help.
Z5 may, but probably not.
Definitely invest in a PC and some ZPC. ZPC is pretty mild, but great stuff.
I have used MIP, but some say SIP is even better. Then I follow up with the ZPC as my finishing polish.

Just an update. I used the Maguires Scratch X by hand. Two coats, mild pressure. 2 coats Zaino Z-5, 2 coats Zaino Z-2. It helped a little, but the scratches are still visible. Again, I can't feel the scratches with my fingernail. I will wait and purchase the Zaino Fusion and see what that does.

I really hesitate to purchase and use a PC for such light scratches. My fear is that I make a liveable situation way worse.

If didn't see it actually happen, I wouldn't believe a kid with a platic water bottle could make such a mess.

By the way, what is MIP and SIP?

thanks
Old 05-11-2008, 11:34 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 914 Likes on 450 Posts

Menzerna intensive polish, and super intensive polish. Both Menzerna products.

Get notified of new replies

To light scratches

Quick Reply: light scratches