Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Can scratches in the clear top be repaired?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 02:58 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Can scratches in the clear top be repaired?

I just got a clear top that was pretty scratched up. Mostly small scratches, but a few which are deeper. Does anyone know a way of repairing scratches on the clear top? I'd live to touch up what I can.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:04 AM
EuroRod
Race Director

Received 168 Likes on 66 Posts

Probably not. You can polish out the scratches, but cannot redo the special coating on the top and bottom surfaces of the top that prevent the acrylic top material from yellowing.
Old 05-31-2008, 07:28 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

the glass top is actually a version of Lexan and quite easy to scratch and yet hard to repair. I used Plexus on my C5 roof since new and it looked the same when sold. You could likely make the scratches less noticable using our Diamonite Kit but removing them permantely is not likely if they can be felt with finger nail.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:02 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by EuroRod
Probably not. You can polish out the scratches, but cannot redo the special coating on the top and bottom surfaces of the top that prevent the acrylic top material from yellowing.
That's my main concern. I'm sure I can make the scratches in the lexan less noticeable, but the coating on top eppears to be an issue. I'm not sure if it's going to be possible to polish out the coating, or if that will just make the blemish in the coating more noticeable. Long term, I'm not worried about the material yellowing, just don't like the white lines across the surface.
Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 PM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
the glass top is actually a version of Lexan and quite easy to scratch and yet hard to repair. I used Plexus on my C5 roof since new and it looked the same when sold. You could likely make the scratches less noticable using our Diamonite Kit but removing them permantely is not likely if they can be felt with finger nail.
Thanks - I may have to order the kit. I have a couple of materials that are specifically for polishing materials like lexan - guess I'll give those a try on an "inconspicuous" area first.

Get notified of new replies

To Can scratches in the clear top be repaired?

Quick Reply: Can scratches in the clear top be repaired?