Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

My Rejex Nightmare!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 06:05 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default My Rejex Nightmare!

After having successfully used Rejex on "JetVette", I decided to do my black 96 Impala SS. The Impala has been a garage queen since I bought it new in Dec. 96 and the paint has only ever been treated with Zaino. Its paint is (was) flawless, and the odometer presently shows less than 11,000 miles.

Much to my dismay, after letting the Impala cure overnight in the garage, I was horified to discover zillions of swirl marks over the entire car when exposed to the afternoon sunlight. After some deliberation on this, I've decided that it was the over 85 degree temperature we had when I did the Rejex application. Has anyone else had this problem? It states on the bottle not to use the product in temperatures over 85 degrees, and it never occurred to me at the time that the temperature was over the "limit" but we had a heat wave during that application...

Rejex-ers Beware!!!
Old 06-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Something doesn't sound right here.......Let me ask a couple of questions.....

How did you apply the Rejex....?
Did you clay the car before the application....?
When is the last time the car was polished and what was used....?

Tempertures do not cause swirl marks.......There must be another reason.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:21 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

The 85 degree temp is only for the drying time of the RejeX. The hotter the temp the longer the drying time. Doubt if the RejeX caused your swirl marks. More likely your applicator pad or your buffing towel caused the swirls. Or the paint was loaded with swirl marks before you applied the RejeX. The RejeX make have produced a deeper shine and now the swirl marks are more noticeable.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

The car has never seen inclement weather...the finish was flawless. I double checked my applicator and it is clean. I used the same 100pct cotton towels to polish it that I have always used. I am not new to this car polishing fetish, which is why I am so puzzled. I washed the car with Dawn to remove its previous wax before the Rejex. I soaked the car with Dawn again this morning, washing it twice with approximately 4oz of Dawn each time. I found some Zaino Z5 in my garage and am presently re-doing the car with the Z5...it appears under the florescent lights, under certain angles, that the hazy, swirl like imperfections are disappearing...will advise tomorrow if it checks out under the sunshine.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Scuba Ghost
Team Owner

Received 401 Likes on 282 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Something still doesn't sound right, but hope it all works out for you.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:57 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

My JSB Corvette came out incredibly beautiful with the Rejex and that is why I did the black Impala with it. I am going to assume it was the applicator pad that I used to apply the Rejex...but it was the from the same pad package (3 total) that I purchased at Autozone that I used on the Corvette.
Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 PM
lt1_man
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend getting high quality Microfiber cloths and also what kind of mitt are you using to wash the car? That can leave swirl marks as well and your drying technique.

-Brandon
Old 06-22-2008, 08:38 AM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Microfiber cloths are still questionable due to their unstable quality control issues - I won't use them. I use (expensive) 100pct cotton towels, made in the USA. I've been a Zaino hocus pocus nut for the last 12 years with this particular car and have always had show car results on its black finish. I'm not new to this fetish... I am leaning toward the idea that my application pad (purchased at Autozone) was the culprit, combined with the high temperatures on the day of application. I used Zaino Z5 on the car last night and will check the results when the sun breaks up the fog we have here in WNC this morning. I can tell you that the car looks good again under the florescent lighting in my garage...the hazy, swirl marks are gone.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:03 AM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS
Microfiber cloths are still questionable due to their unstable quality control issues - I won't use them. I use (expensive) 100pct cotton towels, made in the USA. I've been a Zaino hocus pocus nut for the last 12 years with this particular car and have always had show car results on its black finish. I'm not new to this fetish... I am leaning toward the idea that my application pad (purchased at Autozone) was the culprit, combined with the high temperatures on the day of application. I used Zaino Z5 on the car last night and will check the results when the sun breaks up the fog we have here in WNC this morning. I can tell you that the car looks good again under the florescent lighting in my garage...the hazy, swirl marks are gone.
The real test will be full sunlight.....

Your SS is 12 years old, has it been polished within the last few years....?
If not, light swirl marks are very normal. Zaino looks it's best on a freshly polished surface.....
Old 06-22-2008, 10:37 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dave1
The real test will be full sunlight.....

Your SS is 12 years old, has it been polished within the last few years....?
If not, light swirl marks are very normal. Zaino looks it's best on a freshly polished surface.....
Yes, it's 12 years old but it's never been in the rain or other inclement weather and has less than 11,000 miles - it still smell new inside! It's had regular Zaino treatments all its life. I got it out in the sunshine today and much to my dismay, the Z5 did not get it all off. I bought some Meguiars NXT 2.0 which must have more abrasive ingredients, because it seems to be taking it off. I will probably have to do a second round. This Impala is a true beast - it's huge and takes about 3times longer to wax than my 'vert! I wonder if I used too much Rejex, combined with the high temperature, and possibly a dirty or defective applicator pad. My Vette turned out incredibly well using the Rejex and I was very anxious to see how the Impala would look with Rejex. I definitely think Rejex has a more slippery surface than any results I've ever gotten with Zaino. Eventually, I think I'll try it on the Impala again but I will only do a small section and check it the next day in the direct sunlight before completing the entire car. Thanks for all the tips!
Old 06-22-2008, 11:34 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Yes, it's 12 years old but it's never been in the rain or other inclement weather and has less than 11,000 miles - it still smell new inside! It's had regular Zaino treatments all its life. I got it out in the sunshine today and much to my dismay, the Z5 did not get it all off. I bought some Meguiars NXT 2.0 which must have more abrasive ingredients, because it seems to be taking it off. I will probably have to do a second round. This Impala is a true beast - it's huge and takes about 3times longer to wax than my 'vert! I wonder if I used too much Rejex, combined with the high temperature, and possibly a dirty or defective applicator pad. My Vette turned out incredibly well using the Rejex and I was very anxious to see how the Impala would look with Rejex. I definitely think Rejex has a more slippery surface than any results I've ever gotten with Zaino. Eventually, I think I'll try it on the Impala again but I will only do a small section and check it the next day in the direct sunlight before completing the entire car. Thanks for all the tips!
I have used foam, cotton and micro fiber applicator pads. And micro towels to buff. Looks good on my JSB. I can't deal with black cars for just this reason ......... swirls appear for no apparent reason sometimes .... as you seem not to be a novice !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DH
Old 06-23-2008, 03:41 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

From where I'm reading, it seems the swirl marks have been there for awhile, prior to the Rejex. Zaino won't protect against swirl marks, so unless it's polished.....those buggers will still creep up on you even with100% cotton towels. It is possible the NXT is only hiding them due to the fillers in the product. The true test would be to wash a section of the NXT off with Dawn or Isopropyl, and see if those swirls are still there.

The confusing part about this is whether the marks are haze marks or swirl marks. One implies product reaction with the surface/applicator, the other implies marks embedded in the paint itself that would need to be polished out with a buffer to actually remove (or your hand moving at about 5,000 rpm).
Old 06-23-2008, 05:50 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sorry but you just can't get that many swirl marks from waxing the car one time. They were there all along and you just haven't noticed them before or you just haven't had it in the proper lighting to really see the swirl marks.

Just cause you baby the car doesn't mean it's going to be swirl free. If you don't wash with two buckets with grit guard as well as using a leaf blower to dry and all your materials are new and clean each wash then you will have swirls.

The cotton towels you use are not good for the paint and will definately leave swirl marks. I have no idea what you're talking about when you say MF towels have quality control issues but they are much safer on the paint then cotton towels.

I know some of the most die hard car guys that dont' know the first thing about proper car care and proper washing and drying techniques but they love there cars just as much and think washing and wiping them down all the time is good for them.
Old 06-23-2008, 05:53 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

NXT has oils in it that will temporarily cover up and hide swirls but not remove them. Rejex and Zaino do not.

You need to have them polished out and not covered up.

Josh
Old 06-23-2008, 06:02 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

If you're applying the product correctly you shouldn't have any swirls. Straight lines, never in circles. The Rejex product by itself, even in higher temps would not cause any swirls.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:30 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lots of things so I'll start from the top...

Rejex won't cause swirls, infact it is pretty slick and will help reduce the chance of getting them during application. People cause swirls.

I think it is VERY likely that the swirls where there and you didn't see them because with enough coats of Z5 you will get some "filling" of defects. By starting with Rejex you likely uncovered what was there.

The reason NXT 2.0 seemed to "remove" the swirl marks is because it has kaolin clay which is a mildly abrasive micro clay that will "fill" in the defects rather well. You didn't remove any, you just temporarly masked them.

There is no short cut to removing (and not rounding) swirl marks. You will need a high speed buffer, good products, and a lot of experience, IMO. Waxes just hide them period and there is no miracle cure.

I will even go a step further and say if the car is 12 years old and has had a lot of Zaino applications (and thus hands rubbing it) you had those swirl marks for a VERY long time.
Old 06-23-2008, 08:37 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=JoshVette;1566018501]I'm sorry but you just can't get that many swirl marks from waxing the car one time. They were there all along and you just haven't noticed them before or you just haven't had it in the proper lighting to really see the swirl marks.

Just cause you baby the car doesn't mean it's going to be swirl free. If you don't wash with two buckets with grit guard as well as using a leaf blower to dry and all your materials are new and clean each wash then you will have swirls.

The cotton towels you use are not good for the paint and will definately leave swirl marks. I have no idea what you're talking about when you say MF towels have quality control issues but they are much safer on the paint then cotton towels.

I've never heard that 100pct cotten towels will cause swirl marks...The Zaino site states very strongly that this is the ONLY kind of towel you should ever use to remove wax or polish. They further state that the towels should be of highest quality and made in USA...(which mine are) I've been the only person to ever detail this car in 12 years since it was brand new and there have never been any kind of swirl marks on it... This is the first time I used an applicator pad that I purchased at Autozone and I'm leaning toward the possibility that it was the applicator. I've been in several car shows with this Impala; 2 at Bowling Green Impalapalooza shows where it was autographed by Jon Moss...its finish is as perfect as a factory finish can be, and my scores have always been nearly perfect.

Definitely a mystery to me because I think the Rejex product is exceptional. I was just wondering when I posted if perhaps it was the high temperatures that may have caused the (milky) streaking, swirl marks.

Get notified of new replies

To My Rejex Nightmare!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

[QUOTE=SSTEVEGS;1566021107]
Originally Posted by JoshVette
I've never heard that 100pct cotten towels will cause swirl marks...The Zaino site states very strongly that this is the ONLY kind of towel you should ever use to remove wax or polish. They further state that the towels should be of highest quality and made in USA...(which mine are) I've been the only person to ever detail this car in 12 years since it was brand new and there have never been any kind of swirl marks on it... This is the first time I used an applicator pad that I purchased at Autozone and I'm leaning toward the possibility that it was the applicator. I've been in several car shows with this Impala; 2 at Bowling Green Impalapalooza shows where it was autographed by Jon Moss...its finish is as perfect as a factory finish can be, and my scores have always been nearly perfect.

Definitely a mystery to me because I think the Rejex product is exceptional. I was just wondering when I posted if perhaps it was the high temperatures that may have caused the (milky) streaking, swirl marks.

Now you're saying it's milky streaks?? is it swirls? or streaks? There's a big difference you know?

Swirls being micro scratches that look like spider webs in the sunlight caused by washing and drying.

Streaks being smear marks.

Again, I highly doubt the temp had anything to do with it unless you applied it in direct sunlight which I doubt.

Josh
Old 06-23-2008, 09:14 PM
SSTEVEGS
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=JoshVette;1566021403][QUOTE=SSTEVEGS;1566021107]

Now you're saying it's milky streaks?? is it swirls? or streaks? There's a big difference you know?

They're only visible in strong sunlight - almost 3 dimensional looking as you move around the car; not noticeable under the florescent bulbs in my garage. If the NXT is only covering them up, and I wash it with Dawn - will they return? In other words, am I wasting my time with the NXT? I have only done the hood with the NXT so perhaps I should wash the NXT area again with Dawn and see what shows up?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09

[QUOTE=SSTEVEGS;1566021748][QUOTE=JoshVette;1566021403]

I have only done the hood with the NXT so perhaps I should wash the NXT area again with Dawn and see what shows up?
Dawn isn't golden stuff.......I hate to tell your that.

If you really want to know what kind of paint surface you've got, wipe the whole car down with IPA or Prep-Sol and bring it out in direct sunlight. That will show you a clean "true" surface to inspect....

And if it has some swirl marks, no biggie....

Get it polished and your good to go......

Even gargage queens need that step to remain looking in top condition.
Your car deserves it.......

Quick Reply: My Rejex Nightmare!