Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 10:35 AM
0meghan@autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stig-zzz
HOW ABOUT A MORE DEFINITIVE ANSWER Meagan can you chime in i love the edge system for the pc and need some 4" pads The Cyclo offers many pads in 4" in edge2k cant deal with Velcro to sloppy for me will thy work on a pc thanks

John Stig
They Cyclo DoublePrecision Foam Pads work great with the PC. I actually think they work better then the 6" Edge pads when using with the PC.

http://www.autogeek.net/doubleprecision-cyclo-pads.html
Old 09-11-2008, 09:44 PM
stig-zzz
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks Meghan will be placing a order soon
Old 09-12-2008, 08:12 AM
WGMARQ
Instructor

I had originally asked that question about the Cyclo pads but since then I have switched to a Flex, are there any plans to offer the Edge adapter for the Flex again ?
Old 09-12-2008, 09:17 AM
0Autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried contacting Edge?

They were making the Flex adapters for around $40 I believe. Not sure if they still are, or if the fact 3M purchased them would have any effect on that, but if I were you I'd contact them. www.dedicationtodetail.com
Old 09-17-2008, 02:59 PM
JohnnyB
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello, I'm very interested in the SIP/Nano combination. The thing that concerns me is the 32 ounce size. It would take me forever to get through that much and I'm afraid it would go bad. Are there any other options?

Thanks,
John
Old 09-17-2008, 07:16 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyB
Hello, I'm very interested in the SIP/Nano combination. The thing that concerns me is the 32 ounce size. It would take me forever to get through that much and I'm afraid it would go bad. Are there any other options?

Thanks,
John
You can purchase the Wolfgang 3.0 polishes (swirl remover and finishing glaze) which are designed with us by Menzerna and use the same ceramiclear abrasives. Smaller size, less cost, it might be the best choice.

Menzerna polishes do last a long time, but once your friends find out and neighbors see your ride they will be borrowing a cup or bottle just like neighbors sharing sugar
Old 12-16-2008, 09:53 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Default Which should I use polish or swirl remover?

Hi Jason:
I just received a order from pinnacle wax. I bought the p/c 7424 starter kit with the 25 ft. cord from auto geek last week. I used it on my 05 ranger. Nice polisher & pads works really well. Paint on the ranger looks great. I want to do my 01 vette. It has swirls on top of the c/coat.These swirl marks are hard to see.They are not into the c/coat.It takes the right light & angle to see them. Other than that it shines like glass only 16k on the clock. They are from years of washing by me.Never in a automatic wash.My question is: Which should I use first? The advanced pinnacle finishing polish or the advanced swirl remover?I,am thinking that the polish is the fine cut & the swirl remover is the medium cut. I want to start with the least abrasive cleaner.& if that removes the swirls , then I want to seal it with wax. Is their a fine cut swirl remover I can buy locally?I plan on using the p/c 7424 with the orange pad.
Thanks for any advice.
robsc501

Last edited by robsc501; 12-17-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:32 AM
tommy grantham sr.
Racer

Default wax removal

Is it ok to use dawn to re move wax . I am starteing over with yous vip special i received today,.QUOTE=jason@autogeek;1566394376]

At Autogeek, we specialize in car care and auto detailing. Our courteous staff of technical advisers consists of detailing enthusiasts and professional detailers and our team of car care experts are happy to answer your questions! We'll help you find auto care solutions so that you can achieve the ultimate show car shine.

As a forum sponsor, we would like to offer our guidance and assistance and answer any questions that you may have. Introducing “Ask The Autogeek!” By posting questions and answers in this thread, this will create an archive of valuable information for other forum members and guests to see, so you’ll be helping others as well!

Need answers right now? We can help with that too! Autogeek.net is your source for the most in depth and comprehensive car care information on the internet. We have detailing guides, how to articles and informative videos to get you started in the right direction! These are just a few of the informative links that you will find at Autogeek.net:

Autogeek University – Auto Detailing Facts, Tips & Tricks

Dual Action Orbital Polishing Guide

Download & View Autogeek Car Care Handbooks & Videos

Customer Comments & Reviews

We are looking forward to helping you achieve the results that you are looking for. So go ahead, ask away! We welcome your questions and will work hard to provide quality answers that you need to get the best detail possible.

Use coupon code corvetteforum for 10% off your orders at Autogeek.net!

*Coupon valid on in stock items. Not applicable on previously placed orders, custom or special order items, polishers & polisher kits, vacuums, carpet extractors, garage flooring, gift certificates, or complete wash systems. One coupon code per order.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-17-2008, 03:01 PM
tommy grantham sr.
Racer

should I wash car with dawn to re move wax.have waterspots under wax. Iwill receive your VIP wax kit today when UPS runs. tommy
Old 12-17-2008, 07:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tommy grantham sr.
should I wash car with dawn to re move wax.have waterspots under wax. Iwill receive your VIP wax kit today when UPS runs. tommy
I dont find Dawn needed in car care, infact with extended use it can dry weatherstripping and rubber surrounds. You can use a paint cleanser lotion (Pinnacle, P21S), a paint polish, or an AIO type product to cleanse paint and remove old waxes and sealants. These products chemically or mechanically remove the old stuff.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:52 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Default Proper use of the Menzerna Show Car Kit

Hi There:
I was wondering what the correct steps are & which pads to use with the menzerna show car kit? Are the following correct?1st sip(orange pad), 2nd super finish(white pad) 3rd finishing glaze po 115c (grey or blue pad) Is the finishing glaze used for gloss purposes? Last would be your wax to seal. Is the black pad used for appyling the wax?
Some guys refer to nano, which menzerna product is that?
Thanks for your advice.
Merry Christmas
robsc501
Old 12-27-2008, 03:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by robsc501
Hi There:
I was wondering what the correct steps are & which pads to use with the menzerna show car kit? Are the following correct?1st sip(orange pad), 2nd super finish(white pad) 3rd finishing glaze po 115c (grey or blue pad) Is the finishing glaze used for gloss purposes? Last would be your wax to seal. Is the black pad used for appyling the wax?
Some guys refer to nano, which menzerna product is that?
Thanks for your advice.
Merry Christmas
robsc501

I find that with the ceramiclear kit the following works best:

Orange Pad and SIP = this will remove most normal to minor swirls and light scratches

White Pad and SIP = following the above you sometimes have smaller little micromarring seen in direct light. These rebuffs the area with a slightly less abrasive pad and removes them and brings out additional reflection in paint.

Grey Finishing Pad and Nano = this final polish is truly the step of burnishing or jeweling the paint. Amping it the the next and final level of gloss and removing and super minor spots we might have missed.

You can then use a non abrasive pad (blue) for applying a glaze or finishing cream as wanted. This adds wetness and additional gloss to paint before waxing. The key here is when using the Menzerna glaze you must use a wax (not sealant) over it for best results. Our Pinnacle and Fuzion waxes are the best.

And Nano polish by Menzerna relates to the ceramiclear polishes also known as 106FF and 106FA.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Scubaholic
Instructor

I PM'd you yesterday, not sure if you got this....

Which polisher would you recommend? I've heard of the PC and the Flex. I would like to have a unit that could take out the light swirls I can see in the bright lights, but I do NOT want to harm the clear coat or paint and would definitely be concerned about possible 'burning' of the clearcoat and at the same time I would like the unit to be useful as a wax application tool, so what waxes, polishes and pads you would recommend in addition to the swirl remover (again, my swirls are only noticeable in bright lights)? FWIW, with my Waxmaster, sometimes I've used terry cloth bonnets and lately I've used micro fiber bonnets. Give me your recommendation with a finishing wax that has plenty of UV inhibitors as I do not garage my car, unfortunately. (I have been using Zaino.) Also, when applying the Zaino, when I take it off sometimes it is difficult and I have to go over it a second time by hand with some pressure with a micro fiber pad to completely take off the residue (and I do this when the car is in the shade and cool to the touch) . I think I covered everything I look forward to your response (can you tell I need help).

Another concern I have is (I think I already mentioned this) when I actually start this "polishing/swirl remover process" is that I do not damage the surface with the somewhat abrasive cleaners. I have only used Zaino and my Vette is only 2 years old (2006). The paint has a lot of luster and the fine swirl marks only appear in bright light, so again the last thing I want to do is create a problem. I would love to take the look of my Vette to the next level but not at the price of using an abrasive cleaner.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Zaino is a fine product, but most of the line is not actually a polish its a sealant or synthetic Wax. (Z2/Z5) It should be used over a properly prepped surface for best results and Sal would surely suggest polishing (mechanically abrading the surface) first for best results.

Based upon the car and your assessment, you fit into the category that almost all other Vette owners do here. The proven combo is to use Menzerna SIP and Nano prior to using the sealant/wax of your choice. We offer several kits with the ceramiclear polishes including a PC, G110, or Flex based upon your budget. Each are easy to use, offer proven results, and should easily help keep your finish up for years. These orbitals are rather safe, more so than the quicker cutting power of the rotary buffers.

I think if you did a quick search in car care area you will see more than a hundred satisfied users. Most offer the Flex, SIP, and Nano as main benefit and second would be the PC and same polishes. Best part you can still use your Zaino over the finish without issue. I have done it, and many others without issue. Take the leap and you'll love the results and wish you did so earlier. (toss that Waxmaster and Terry bonnets immediately)
Old 01-11-2009, 07:44 PM
hbutts1
Racer

Default Question

I have a 6" orbital buffer. What is the best bonnett to use to remove wax? I have a wool (thick) and a microfiber pad. Also, It seems that with paint protection film on black, i dont have the deep shine that i had on the paint without the film. Do you have a preference of wax/sealer for ppf?
Old 01-12-2009, 10:32 AM
0Autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hbutts1
I have a 6" orbital buffer. What is the best bonnett to use to remove wax? I have a wool (thick) and a microfiber pad. Also, It seems that with paint protection film on black, i dont have the deep shine that i had on the paint without the film. Do you have a preference of wax/sealer for ppf?
I like to use Menzerna Nano/106 on clear bras. It's a very mild polish and works very well at removing minor swirls/hazing and restoring a nice finish to the clear bras. I experimented quite a bit on my friend's CTS-V and this product worked best. For sealant, I use the same thing I'm using on the paint.

For bonnets to use over a 6" lambswool pad, have a look at the Cobra 6.5" microfiber bonnets. http://www.autogeek.net/cobra-6-5inch-bonnets.html
Old 01-13-2009, 08:17 PM
midlifetoy1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Flexplate size

Hey Jason,

I checked your site and found the Flexplate/pad kit I will be getting. Its the DA Deluxe CCS Foam Pad Kit. I just have one question, it includes a 5 inch flexplate with 6 1/2 inch pads & bonnets. Is this correct? Is an 1 1/2 inch overlap a bit much? As a polishing novice (never tried before) I would think a 5 inch pad for a 5 inch flexplate.
Please educate me

Randolph

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 09:58 AM
0Autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by midlifetoy1
Hey Jason,

I checked your site and found the Flexplate/pad kit I will be getting. Its the DA Deluxe CCS Foam Pad Kit. I just have one question, it includes a 5 inch flexplate with 6 1/2 inch pads & bonnets. Is this correct? Is an 1 1/2 inch overlap a bit much? As a polishing novice (never tried before) I would think a 5 inch pad for a 5 inch flexplate.
Please educate me

Randolph
Randolph,

The ideal pad size for a 5" backing plate is 5.5-6.5". For a 6" backing plate, 6.5-7.5".

5" backing plate + 6.5" pads is the most widely used combo we sell.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:14 PM
hbutts1
Racer

With the foammaster, Do you use your normal soap/shampoo or do you have to use a special soap? What do you reccommend for the foammaster?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:00 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by hbutts1
With the foammaster, Do you use your normal soap/shampoo or do you have to use a special soap? What do you reccommend for the foammaster?
you can use any soap. I like using Poorboys Suds, Optimum Car Wash, and DP Xtreme foam amongst others.

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread