Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 07:09 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 1bdvet
What's the date of the 2015 Car show, at your place, like to plan ahead, hope you guys do also, namely about the bathroom problem.

Hope to see you all there, big bargains like you had the last show.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...st-2015-a.html
Old 05-15-2014, 07:14 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by David A.
I just bought the Porter Cable Blackfire package. The videos I’ve watched about polishing with a DA always shows the person working on the center of a flat hood. What about the places where you can’t have the entire pad on the surface? Does the DA still make it safe if I’m working where I can only use a couple inches of the 5” pad? I guess I’m asking if the technique has to change when you get to the smaller places and the edges.
generally speaking a pad should be kept centered on the panel. You should be very careful on edges, usually hand polishing and taping off to avoid lighter painted areas. We sell many different backing plates and pads to help in smaller areas also. (see accessories under PC)

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polishers.html
Old 05-17-2014, 01:17 AM
sportbikes
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

C6 - Headlights - Film inside.

My C6 headlights are getting a film or haze similar to the common build-up that accumulates on the inside of the windshield. The lights look great, no visible cracks, chips or imperfections... just a noticeable haze accumulating.

How do I clean this?
Old 05-17-2014, 03:51 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,504 Likes on 3,589 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Thanks, my group will be there, always have great time, and the car guys are the nicest groups of Celeb meeting with all of to take pictures and talk.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sportbikes
C6 - Headlights - Film inside.

My C6 headlights are getting a film or haze similar to the common build-up that accumulates on the inside of the windshield. The lights look great, no visible cracks, chips or imperfections... just a noticeable haze accumulating.

How do I clean this?
Unfortunately there is no easy way to repair this film. There are often small rubber breathers on HID lighting to allow the heat to be removed. These tubes can also allow air, dirt in. I have heard of some blowing into these carefully with mixed results. Most the time the lenses needs to be removed and then sealed back together afterwards.
Old 05-17-2014, 05:34 PM
sportbikes
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the response. I was afraid of that answer....

Unfortunately there is no easy way to repair this film. There are often small rubber breathers on HID lighting to allow the heat to be removed. These tubes can also allow air, dirt in. I have heard of some blowing into these carefully with mixed results. Most the time the lenses needs to be removed and then sealed back together afterwards.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:36 PM
jackcasual
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I parked next to automatic landscaping watering. It went off and then car sat in full sun. I've got waterspots. First I tried crystal mist,then souvergn paste wax. Didn't work. Then I tried paintwork cleansing lotion. I've still got waterspots. What should I do now? Thx
Old 05-26-2014, 07:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jackcasual
I parked next to automatic landscaping watering. It went off and then car sat in full sun. I've got waterspots. First I tried crystal mist,then souvergn paste wax. Didn't work. Then I tried paintwork cleansing lotion. I've still got waterspots. What should I do now? Thx
There are waterspot removing products available. I might suggest soaking a rag in white vinegar, wipe area, and then wash as normal. If not then move to a professional spot remover as soon as possible.

http://www.autogeek.net/best-water-spot-remover.html
Old 05-28-2014, 09:16 AM
jackcasual
Racer

There are waterspot removing products available. I might suggest soaking a rag in white vinegar, wipe area, and then wash as normal. If not then move to a professional spot remover as soon as possible.

http://www.autogeek.net/best-water-spot-remover.html
Thx for advise. I will try vinegar. If it doesn't work, I will be placing an order.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:54 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Thx for advise. I will try vinegar. If it doesn't work, I will be placing an order.
I keep a small bottle of rinseless wash and a bottle of bugsquash along with several MF towels in a ziplock in each car. When traveling I immediately remove sprinklers, buggies, and doo-doo. Prepare in advance and keep something on hand.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:56 PM
Daytona Rick
Advanced

202 Vette, driver side head light doesn't always pop up. IS there an over ride way of getting it up?
Old 06-05-2014, 08:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Daytona Rick
202 Vette, driver side head light doesn't always pop up. IS there an over ride way of getting it up?
not really car care, but yes I remember on the C5 that there is a **** on the side of each headlamp that can be turned to manually lift the lamp. As I also remember, the repair is actually pretty simple and not very costly. The gearing is plastic or nylon and gets stripped. Do a search in the tech area around C5 and I bet you can find a how-to !

Remember to clean those headlamps and consider sealing them for long term protection even when hidden in the bumper.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Tony 327
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The same thing happened to me at a hotel out of town recently. I got the car to a local DIY car wash and it helped some, but spots on the deck lid were set in already. Got home and tried 50/50 vinegar and distilled water. No good. Upped to 75% vinegar. Nothing. Got Meguires Waterspot remover at a local O'Reillys and that did the trick. Used as directed by hand I got good results. However, it is a lot of work and if I had a DA polisher I may have gotten better results in less time. That is why I am on here, looking for DA polisher advice and found this post.

The Meguires Waterspot remover package, conveniently, has a photo of a lawn sprinkler on the label!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:27 PM
acheman8
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

So I have a question... I'm still a bit confused about all the products...

I have a 2012 GS Centennial Edition. I just purchase a PC DA polisher with a couple of orange pad and a couple of white pads from AutoGeek.

I plan to wash the car (foam cannon) and then clay with Mothers clay using their quick detail spray as a lubricant.

Next -- I have some Meguiar's clear coat polishing compound, SwirlX swirl remover and NXT Tech wax 2.0.

What is the proper sequence?? Swirl remover, polishing compound, wax?? OR Polishing compound, swirl remover, wax??

Also, I have polishing COMPOUND but I keep reading that I should use finishing polish after the swirl remover... are they the same thing??

Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 08-23-2014, 08:38 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Default Hot DA backing plate Issues

I'm currently using a Griot's that has about 50 hours on it. When using the machine I don't press down but let the machine do most the work on horizontal surfaces. I am now experiencing the center of the backing plate getting so hot it is actually melting the black Velcro off the pad in about a 1 1/4 inch perfect circle. I am very experienced with polishers and always make a point not to hold it where the fan and other vents are covered. I have also melted the black Velcro to where it wrinkles on two backing plates. Putting two fiber washers on the mounting stud hoping it would insulate the backing plate but no difference. The counterweights and visible parts seem fine, nothing impeding the DA orbit. It seems the worst when using an orange CCS 5.5 pad with SIP Menzerna but it's almost as bad with the white pad. Do you have any idea what might be going on?
Old 08-23-2014, 08:57 PM
ZZZZZZ
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I've been watching and learning from your site but I have a question on steps and products. Background: 78 pace car original paint pretty nice some imperfections
1) wash
2) clay ill buy meguires
3) swirl remover ( what is that and what should I use) ??
4) Polish already have meguires
5) carnuaba already have meguires. Thanks for any help you could provide.
Can I clay over the decals on the doors, ect???
Old 09-02-2014, 02:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ZZZZZZ
I've been watching and learning from your site but I have a question on steps and products. Background: 78 pace car original paint pretty nice some imperfections
1) wash
2) clay ill buy meguires
3) swirl remover ( what is that and what should I use) ??
4) Polish already have meguires
5) carnuaba already have meguires. Thanks for any help you could provide.
Can I clay over the decals on the doors, ect???
A swirl remover is an abrasive polish. Polishes come in various degree's from light (finishing) to heavy (compounds). Generally speaking a swirl remover is a medium polish but you should read the manufacturers directions and measure it before use.

I do not clay on decals. I also try not to polish them. Generally you should follow the manufacturers directions to keep your decals for as long as possible. Chemical Guys makes a product to protect decals.

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 12:12 PM
Stanley Distribution
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here's one for you.

I have been cleaning/detailing my own cars for a long time, since I was like 15. So 15 years give or take.

My current daily driver, and my wife's DD both have light tan colored carpets. We have a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

I have been vacuuming and steam cleaning them every so often, then putting down 3M scotchgard, which works pretty well but doesn't seem to last very long (the instructions say to reapply every 3 months, which will never happen I just don't have the time).

So I know there are other products out there that work like scotchgard, to protect your carpet and upholstery. What are the best/longest lasting ones and they have to come in a gallon size. I'm so tired of having to buy a crap load of the cans to spray with. I have a 5hp 60 gallon air compressor so I can spray them with that it needed.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:30 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Stanley Distribution
Ok, here's one for you.

I have been cleaning/detailing my own cars for a long time, since I was like 15. So 15 years give or take.

My current daily driver, and my wife's DD both have light tan colored carpets. We have a 2 year old and a 5 year old.

I have been vacuuming and steam cleaning them every so often, then putting down 3M scotchgard, which works pretty well but doesn't seem to last very long (the instructions say to reapply every 3 months, which will never happen I just don't have the time).

So I know there are other products out there that work like scotchgard, to protect your carpet and upholstery. What are the best/longest lasting ones and they have to come in a gallon size. I'm so tired of having to buy a crap load of the cans to spray with. I have a 5hp 60 gallon air compressor so I can spray them with that it needed.
http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-carpet-cleaner.html

This is a product that cleans and protects and comes in a gallon as requested. So far testing is good. Stoners, 303, Chemical Guys and others exist also. Some might not be available in gallon sizes but can be sold in bulk as desired.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:15 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

I have a metallic red car that has a slight scratch and was wondering which product to use to fill in the scratch . I can feel it with my fingernail

Clif

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread