Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 03:25 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Ok cool, if you ever do just let me now. I have bought a lot of stuff from you guys and always liked everything I got. Thanks for answering my question.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by zdeckich
Ok cool, if you ever do just let me now. I have bought a lot of stuff from you guys and always liked everything I got. Thanks for answering my question.
To expand on your question, a lot goes into taking on a line of product. First, can the manufacturer provide the sheer number of units we need to offer a product thru Autogeek.net which is now an internationally known supplier of detailing supplies. Second, will the manufacturer allow our aggressive pricing and sales as it can upset other resellers that are already carrying and selling that line. You also may have regional challenges associated with other resellers in a similar area. So please understand we love to offer all the best in car care and at great prices with our exceptional client services, it just isn't possible due to other variables that is often not seen at the buyers level.

If there is a product line you like, it best to drop us a line. We listen and try to test and sample the lines in order to keep our site offering the products wanted by our clients. We appreciate your suggestion.
Old 01-15-2015, 10:16 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Coating question

I recently applied a Duragloss ceramic coating to my car, and I am very happy with the results. I usually clay-bar the car about twice a year. Will the finish still require clay since it is coated? Will clay remove the coating?
Thanks for your help. I'm a big fan of Autogeek; it's like Christmas Day whenever a shipment arrives.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
I recently applied a Duragloss ceramic coating to my car, and I am very happy with the results. I usually clay-bar the car about twice a year. Will the finish still require clay since it is coated? Will clay remove the coating?
Thanks for your help. I'm a big fan of Autogeek; it's like Christmas Day whenever a shipment arrives.
Coatings protect much longer than traditional waxes and even sealants. You should not need to clay as often. Since clay is slightly abrasive (you are rubbing something against the finish) it might remove or reduce some of the effectiveness of the coating. I seriously doubt it will remove all or even most a coating.

Remember the plastic bag trick and no need to over clay. I suspect you may now move to one claying annually unless the automobile is in an environment of heavy dirt and pollution.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:53 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

I just took delivery of a 2015 Arctic White Vert (Corvette). Will do the sandwich bag test to see if there is a need for clay bar and polish.
What I am looking for is a wax or sealant that will really make the Arctic white pop. In the past I have used Rejex, Megs products, Dodo red, etc. ready to move on.
Suggestions please.
Also do I need anything to keep the top looking new.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:19 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dvilin
I just took delivery of a 2015 Arctic White Vert (Corvette). Will do the sandwich bag test to see if there is a need for clay bar and polish.
What I am looking for is a wax or sealant that will really make the Arctic white pop. In the past I have used Rejex, Megs products, Dodo red, etc. ready to move on.
Suggestions please.
Also do I need anything to keep the top looking new.
Congrats on the Stingray .....

Enjoying one of the best rides for 2015 also means its time to move from old waxes and sealants to the newest offering a coating. Don't worry you will have longer protection and easier application.

I would do the same as any new ride. I would do a good wash, consider Iron-X to remove any metal particles, a light clay as needed, some polishing as needed .... and application of Opti-gloss or G-technics ceramic coating. Application is simple, apply to a clean wax free surface and buff off any high spots (over application). One coat, thin is in, and not a lot of overlapping needed.

Coatings will make white look like glass, with lots of reflection and gloss.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:58 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

is the sonax wheel cleaner safe for carbon ceramic brake rotors on zr1/z06? i have read on other sites they were just wanted to confirm. thanks
Old 01-25-2015, 07:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dvandentop
is the sonax wheel cleaner safe for carbon ceramic brake rotors on zr1/z06? i have read on other sites they were just wanted to confirm. thanks
I too have seen posts elsewhere that suggested it was used without issue. I tend to error on the side of caution and with such an expensive brake option would consider simple soap and water when possible. I might coat the wheels also to help keep them easy to clean with soap/water.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:35 AM
RaceNH
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

I am getting ready to purchase a 12 Grand Sport coupe color Cyber Gray metallic. This is my first vette and would like any suggestions on a starter kit for polishing and cleaning the car. I have been looking at the PC 7424XP but not familar with all the pad choices. Do you offer something for the newbie. Thanks in advance.

Jim
Old 02-26-2015, 07:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RaceNH
I am getting ready to purchase a 12 Grand Sport coupe color Cyber Gray metallic. This is my first vette and would like any suggestions on a starter kit for polishing and cleaning the car. I have been looking at the PC 7424XP but not familar with all the pad choices. Do you offer something for the newbie. Thanks in advance.

Jim
I replied to your email prior to seeing this. No secrets, if you read the many posts above you will see what was offered in email also. Some hits to make a Corvette look its best :

Menzerna Polishes
Four Star UPP (sealant)
Blackfire Spray Sealant
EZ Wheel Brush
Hydro-tech pads from Lake Country
Griots or DP or P21S Wheel Cleaner
Old 03-18-2015, 03:09 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought the Meguairs DA system from you Autogeek and washed, clayed and then went to town on the car. I was kind of disappointed with the results thinking that it was going to be more aggressive than the 7inch maroon foam pad. I still have hard water etchings that won't come out. I read that the clearcoat is really hard on these cars and i've obviously verified that I made sure to do slow passes and all...what should be my next step? I thought about buying the thinner 5inch pad for more cut but i'm doubting that will do much more. Looking forward to a response.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-18-2015, 06:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
I bought the Meguairs DA system from you Autogeek and washed, clayed and then went to town on the car. I was kind of disappointed with the results thinking that it was going to be more aggressive than the 7inch maroon foam pad. I still have hard water etchings that won't come out. I read that the clearcoat is really hard on these cars and i've obviously verified that I made sure to do slow passes and all...what should be my next step? I thought about buying the thinner 5inch pad for more cut but i'm doubting that will do much more. Looking forward to a response.

Thanks in advance
depending what was in the water and causing those spots, it might have actually etched the paint. You can use more aggressive pads and polishes, but might need to consider wet-sanding. I suggest visiting our forum at Autogeek and do a search around "water spots". I know Mike Phillips has offered a tutorial ....
Old 03-22-2015, 12:29 AM
Blueleader
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Moldy mildew stain on Tan fabric convertible top won't budge

I have tried numerous products and just tried 303 Convertible Fabric top cleaning and care kit after seeing the tutorial on your site. My order got here in 2 days...wow. But no luck. Unless you have another idea for removing these stains - Please indicate a Dye product that has been successful. I see a lot on the internet/youtube. I need help. The Tan top is in great shape but really stained by mold/mildew.I need your help because I don't know what to do. Maybe go to a Marine upholstery shop???

Last edited by Blueleader; 03-22-2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 11:48 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,253 Likes on 916 Posts

What would be a good wax to use on a black daily driver sport utility that will not dry white in the nooks and crannies? The vehicle is garaged and highly detailed at least once a year.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:41 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Blueleader
I have tried numerous products and just tried 303 Convertible Fabric top cleaning and care kit after seeing the tutorial on your site. My order got here in 2 days...wow. But no luck. Unless you have another idea for removing these stains - Please indicate a Dye product that has been successful. I see a lot on the internet/youtube. I need help. The Tan top is in great shape but really stained by mold/mildew.I need your help because I don't know what to do. Maybe go to a Marine upholstery shop???
303 and Ragtopp are also used in the boating industry. The cleaner should be applied and a brush used to dislodge dirt and sometimes you will need an extra application.

I would apply the cleaner outside of direct sunlight and allow to dwell for 5-10 minutes. Reapply the spray as needed to keep top damp. I would then use a soft brush and scrub those areas. I would then wash off and dry the roof as possible. I would then move to the protectant only once the roof is in the condition as needed.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:43 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
What would be a good wax to use on a black daily driver sport utility that will not dry white in the nooks and crannies? The vehicle is garaged and highly detailed at least once a year.
If the finish is in good condition and detailed well, I would consider a sealant or coating. Four Star UPP and Blackfire Sealants are both easy to apply and remove and look absolutely incredible on black paint. Both can also be topped with numerous sprays and boosters without issue thru-out the year as wanted/needed. You should not see any white trim or cracks as these products have no cleaners no abrasive polishes in them.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:51 PM
81theville
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detail Help

Bought a White 2009 convertible. Going to buy the 303 convertible care kit. Paint looks good only a few light scratches on trunk and a faint amount of swirl marks on the car. Was thinking of buying the Girot's 6 inch orbital, Meguire's SwirlX, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Liquid Wax and a few Cobra MF towels. I have never used an orbital polisher before. Any suggestions regarding products would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- I am going to purchase from Autogeek

Last edited by 81theville; 03-31-2015 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Addition

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 08:53 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 81theville
Bought a White 2009 convertible. Going to buy the 303 convertible care kit. Paint looks good only a few light scratches on trunk and a faint amount of swirl marks on the car. Was thinking of buying the Girot's 6 inch orbital, Meguire's SwirlX, Ultimate Polish, Ultimate Liquid Wax and a few Cobra MF towels. I have never used an orbital polisher before. Any suggestions regarding products would be greatly appreciated.

BTW- I am going to purchase from Autogeek
The Griots is a great buffer. You will also need a backing plate and pads. I like a 5 inch flexible backing plate from Lake Country and 5.5 Lake Country Hydro Tech pads. I personally would suggest the Wolfgang two-step for best results on GM paint. The wax and towels are great additions indeed.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:33 PM
berryj
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What would you recommend to remove small linear scratches in my stock stainless exhaust tips on my new Z06? I could try the 0000 wool w/ some mother's metal polish perhaps, but wasn't sure if that would get these scratches out or not. Thanks for the advice in advance.
Old 04-22-2015, 05:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by berryj
What would you recommend to remove small linear scratches in my stock stainless exhaust tips on my new Z06? I could try the 0000 wool w/ some mother's metal polish perhaps, but wasn't sure if that would get these scratches out or not. Thanks for the advice in advance.
stainless steel is quite durable and scratches are often hard to remove without use of buffing wheels and polishes. I too would try the steel or brass wool in quad zero and test on a small area in case it makes the outcome less than desired.

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread