Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 12:52 PM
Sunset Orng 05
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default New aluminum wheels

I purchased new aftermarket aluminum wheels for my 78 Pace Car. I just had new tires mounted on them and when I picked them up they were sitting out in the sun to dry. The installer had cleaned the blue protection from the raised white letters for me. I took them home and put them in the garage without drying them. This was on a Friday. On Sunday I wanted to polish the barrels to protect them prior to putting them on the car and noticed that there were water spots all over them. I applied Mothers chrome polish (I thought they were chrome) and the spots did not come off. A friend stopped by and said to try aluminim wheel polish on another wheel so I did with the same results. Yesterday, (Monday) I took Dawn detergent and washed all 4 wheels and tires and dried them. I still have water spots on otherwise clean and shiney wheels. I've read a few post here in the forum to use such items as Z-A10, Groits, or clay bar to clean clear coated aluminum wheels. I've also read to remove the clear coat and then seal the wheels for easier cleaning over time. What would you suggest?
Old 09-01-2015, 05:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Sunset Orng 05
I purchased new aftermarket aluminum wheels for my 78 Pace Car. I just had new tires mounted on them and when I picked them up they were sitting out in the sun to dry. The installer had cleaned the blue protection from the raised white letters for me. I took them home and put them in the garage without drying them. This was on a Friday. On Sunday I wanted to polish the barrels to protect them prior to putting them on the car and noticed that there were water spots all over them. I applied Mothers chrome polish (I thought they were chrome) and the spots did not come off. A friend stopped by and said to try aluminim wheel polish on another wheel so I did with the same results. Yesterday, (Monday) I took Dawn detergent and washed all 4 wheels and tires and dried them. I still have water spots on otherwise clean and shiney wheels. I've read a few post here in the forum to use such items as Z-A10, Groits, or clay bar to clean clear coated aluminum wheels. I've also read to remove the clear coat and then seal the wheels for easier cleaning over time. What would you suggest?
If the wheels are clearcoated, why remove it ?? You will then have bare aluminum wheels which essentially need pretty constant attention. As a former owner of uncoated wheels, even with paint coatings I would NEVER buy them again. Too much work ...IMO.

The water-spots sure seem stubborn as you got to them quite quickly. It sounds like you have some serious minerals or hard water and the sun baked it in. I too might suggest using a paint polish or paint cleaner "if" the wheels are clearcoated. Do it outside of the sun, when the wheels are cool. Once cleaned up and spot free, get a couple good coats of a sealant on them, or preferably a coating as possible.
Old 09-07-2015, 04:48 PM
Hectorls1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's a great carpet / fabric cleaner ? Also after it's clean a good protectant?
Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Hectorls1
What's a great carpet / fabric cleaner ? Also after it's clean a good protectant?
I often use Folex for cleaning carpets personally. Blackfire and 3D have some good offerings also. Optimums gets the most attention recently, and comes as a cleaner and protectant in one product.

http://www.autogeek.net/optimum-carpet-cleaner.html
Old 09-19-2015, 09:58 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

When polishing aluminum with a product like Mother's Aluminum Polish or Billet Polish when should the foam pad be changed or cleaned? I do a lot of aluminum polishing and found after a few passes the foam pad is black and beginning to smear the black residue on the polish surface. Thanks
Old 09-19-2015, 05:58 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
When polishing aluminum with a product like Mother's Aluminum Polish or Billet Polish when should the foam pad be changed or cleaned? I do a lot of aluminum polishing and found after a few passes the foam pad is black and beginning to smear the black residue on the polish surface. Thanks
When I polished my uncoated wheels, I found that I went thru a lot of towels and several pads. I also found the wool bobs and other items blackened quickly with all the tarnish.

My personal preference was to keep sections small, polish, and then try to remove/wipe the black stuff off to avoid recontaminating the applicator and pads. It certainly was not an exact science. Even soaking the towels in a heavy citrus cleaner, you could not remove all that darn black tarnish also.

If you find some interesting hints , please share with us.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:32 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
When I polished my uncoated wheels, I found that I went thru a lot of towels and several pads. I also found the wool bobs and other items blackened quickly with all the tarnish.

My personal preference was to keep sections small, polish, and then try to remove/wipe the black stuff off to avoid recontaminating the applicator and pads. It certainly was not an exact science. Even soaking the towels in a heavy citrus cleaner, you could not remove all that darn black tarnish also.

If you find some interesting hints , please share with us.
I have found cleaning the foam pads by running them on a terry cloth towel every so often helps some. Keeping the surface of the part you are polishing wiped clean helps too.

Sometime using a quick detailer and wiping the part frequently seems to have the most affect. If you use MF towels to wipe the reside off just be prepared to either live with them with the black residue stain or just discard them. The black residue will not come out no matter what us use to wash them with. It is a dirty job and no way that I have found to keep anything clean during the polishing process. Maybe someone else has some ideas.
Old 09-22-2015, 03:24 PM
zdeckich
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 231 Posts
2017 Corvette of Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year

Is there such a products to help keep brake dust off the wheels? I have powder coated wheels and just have always put polish and wax on them, seems to go alright. just didnt know if thier was anything better?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:49 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by zdeckich
Is there such a products to help keep brake dust off the wheels? I have powder coated wheels and just have always put polish and wax on them, seems to go alright. just didnt know if thier was anything better?
There are several products now available to reduce brake dust appearance and adherence to wheels. As noted you can wax, seal (synthetic wax) or for the longest protection "coat" the wheels.

A modern coating, usually quartz or ceramic, will protect wheels (and barrels if applied) for a year or longer with one application. They wont stop brake dust, but cleanup is easier. You may also want to consider ceramic brake pads which reduce dust and its appearance. Together its a great one, two punch.

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armor.html

http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-wheel-coating.html

http://www.autogeek.net/cquartz-dlux.html
Old 10-03-2015, 11:11 AM
Hectorls1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would help remove or minimize this paint contamination?
Old 10-03-2015, 05:16 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Hectorls1

What would help remove or minimize this paint contamination?
You should do a series of items:

1. Wash paint well, consider also using Iron-X or Decontamination kit from Finishkare
2. Clay or Clay Sponge
3. Use a paint cleansing lotion
4. Polish paint using a variety of polishes and pads
5. Protect well and try to keep car outside of future contamination environment
Old 10-05-2015, 10:04 AM
RACE U
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Louisville Ky NCM Lifetime Member 429 (Member Since 1993)
Received 261 Likes on 182 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '16

What would you suggest using for cleaning and protecting black chrome pvd wheels?

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:16 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RACE U
What would you suggest using for cleaning and protecting black chrome pvd wheels?

Thanks.
I am a big fan of G-technics Wheel Armor after seeing over a years protection on my Iforged Uncoated Wheels. It is suggested that it works on all wheel types. I always suggest trying it first in a small, inconspicuous area just to make sure.

Many other wheel "coatings" now exist, and we also offer one within the Pinnacle Black Label Line. Coatings long outlast sealants and waxes.

http://www.autogeek.net/gtechniq-c5-wheel-armor.html

http://www.autogeek.net/car-paint-gl...-coatings.html
Old 10-06-2015, 11:10 AM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default WG Uber Wheel Cleaner & Rejex

Will WG Uber Wheel Cleaner remove the Rejex I have on my chrome wheels?
Old 10-07-2015, 05:56 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CyberGrayGS
Will WG Uber Wheel Cleaner remove the Rejex I have on my chrome wheels?
Rejex is a pretty durable sealant ... that said, once a wheel is sealed or coated, all you should need is some soap and water to clean them. If you feel that the protection is falling off, then use a wheel cleaner. I would then, personally, add a new coat of the product of my choice.

I doubt the wheel cleaner your using will remove all of a well cured sealant, but it could likely reduce its protection. Since its so easy to apply, why not add some more Rejex afterwards ??
Old 10-07-2015, 07:50 PM
CyberGrayGS
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rejex is a pretty durable sealant ... that said, once a wheel is sealed or coated, all you should need is some soap and water to clean them. If you feel that the protection is falling off, then use a wheel cleaner. I would then, personally, add a new coat of the product of my choice.

I doubt the wheel cleaner your using will remove all of a well cured sealant, but it could likely reduce its protection. Since its so easy to apply, why not add some more Rejex afterwards ??
Sounds reasonable - Thanks!
Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 PM
SgtMajUSMC(Ret)
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been using Zaino for over ten years. I have been looking at coatings for the last six months. Just when I had it narrowed down to two, you all go and release the WG Uber Coating. Just ordered that kit along with Uber compound and finishing glaze. I don't see a WG specific booster, any plans for one or should I go with Pinnacle Black Label booster or Reload?

Thanks!

Last edited by SgtMajUSMC(Ret); 10-29-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 08:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by SgtMajUSMC
I've been using Zaino for over ten years. I have been looking at coatings for the last six months. Just when I had it narrowed down to two, you all go and release the WG Uber Coating. Just ordered that kit along with Uber compound and finishing glaze. I don't see a WG specific booster, any plans for one or should I go with Pinnacle Black Label booster or Reload?

Thanks!
While I cannot say that one wont be released at a date TBD. What I will offer, is the new coating (Wolfgang Uber) will not need any boosting for a very long time. One application is going to outlast some leases .....
The following users liked this post:
ronkh57 (10-29-2015)
Old 10-29-2015, 08:50 PM
SgtMajUSMC(Ret)
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

While I cannot say that one wont be released at a date TBD. What I will offer, is the new coating (Wolfgang Uber) will not need any boosting for a very long time. One application is going to outlast some leases .....
Got it, thanks!
Old 11-20-2015, 07:47 PM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

TMI
I want a safe easy to use product to get out swirl marks on the black c6 I now have .
I have a Portacable 7424xp and 3 different pads . (On order from wife Christmas gift )
Now I need to order a product ?
I called maguiiars they said to use Ultimate compound .
Others here say m105m m205
Information over load doing search on what to use .
Please recomened something easy to use that I won't mess up my paint.

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread