Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 10:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by skar
TMI
I want a safe easy to use product to get out swirl marks on the black c6 I now have .
I have a Portacable 7424xp and 3 different pads . (On order from wife Christmas gift )
Now I need to order a product ?
I called maguiiars they said to use Ultimate compound .
Others here say m105m m205
Information over load doing search on what to use .
Please recomened something easy to use that I won't mess up my paint.
C5/C6/C7 Paint:

Responds very well to a 2-step products. Here are what I use in my personal preference order.

1. Menzerna SIP and 085rd
2. Wolfgang TSR and FG
3. Megs 105 and 205

The challenge to using just one polish is usually one is two light, and one may leave light marring from the harsher polish. If only one could be used it Menzerna SIP and that's because the polishing abrasives break down over use and have a very high final gloss rating.

As with any polishing, you need to use some care. Not sure what pads you got (hopefully Hydrotech pads from Lake Country) ... but understand their abrasiveness also.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:16 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Above
Thanks
Old 11-21-2015, 10:36 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by skar
Above
Thanks
Let us know if we can help further ....

http://www.autogeek.net/menzerna-po83-si1500.html
Check out the one-day sale price today !
Old 11-24-2015, 09:02 PM
JohnnyDee
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

Just bought 2016 Z51 shark gray. What would be the best wax to use to bring out the metallic and obtain the highest gloss? Thanks
Old 11-25-2015, 05:10 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JohnnyDee
Just bought 2016 Z51 shark gray. What would be the best wax to use to bring out the metallic and obtain the highest gloss? Thanks
Blackfire Midnight Sun Paste Wax or Pinnacles Souveran Liquid Wax. Both are quite great looking, bring out metallic paint, and easy to apply and remove. Just remember they have no cleaners or polishes in them. If paint needs to be cleaned first, then consider something like Pinnacles Paintwork lotion beforehand.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:40 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Recently got the PC polisher from you guys. My car is a 08 with only 1500 miles. I think the previous owner must have run it through a auto car wash once as it has some minor scratches! (black) I am going to use the materials you sent to do this. Question is Do i need to wash with Dawn first to remove any current wax or can i do the polish right away? The car is very clean as it has never been in the rain!!!
Old 01-02-2016, 10:52 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by jshot00
Recently got the PC polisher from you guys. My car is a 08 with only 1500 miles. I think the previous owner must have run it through a auto car wash once as it has some minor scratches! (black) I am going to use the materials you sent to do this. Question is Do i need to wash with Dawn first to remove any current wax or can i do the polish right away? The car is very clean as it has never been in the rain!!!
We don't recommend Dawn in car care ...

If you plan to use a paint cleansing lotion (chemical based cleaner) or polishing (abrasive) then you will remove any remaining protection on the paint thru these processes.

If you ride only has light marring from the car wash, you likely can polish with a lighter polish and pad combo. You should test an area first and move to more abrasive polish or more abrasive pad only as needed. If you need some polish recommendations, please let us know...
Old 01-02-2016, 01:17 PM
jshot00
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
We don't recommend Dawn in car care ...

If you plan to use a paint cleansing lotion (chemical based cleaner) or polishing (abrasive) then you will remove any remaining protection on the paint thru these processes.

If you ride only has light marring from the car wash, you likely can polish with a lighter polish and pad combo. You should test an area first and move to more abrasive polish or more abrasive pad only as needed. If you need some polish recommendations, please let us know...
I am going to do this: recommended by Bryan
I would recommend using the Wolfgang Total Swirl
Remover
with a Lake Country Orange CCS Pad to remove any imperfections followed by the
Wolfgang Finishing Glaze with a White CCS Pad.
After that was going to put on the p21s wax. Or can I put the wax on after the Swirl remover??
Old 01-02-2016, 06:19 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

The Wolfgang Twins (both are actually polishes) are a great two-step. Total Swirl is your typical medium grade polish and works well with orange pad. Finishing Glaze, is not really a glaze but more of a very light finishing polish with a great final gloss rating. It will remove any remaining light marring and amp up gloss and reflection. Then use the wax of your choice. P21S is a choice and comes in two flavors, original and 100%.
Old 01-02-2016, 06:39 PM
randy ransome
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 425 Likes on 208 Posts
Winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified
2018 Corvette of Year
2017 C2 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of Year

Are you familiar with Norton Liquid Ice polishing pads, if so are they good enough to use with 3M Perfect-It ultra fine Machine Polish. I'm using a white pad.

I have a black ZR-1 and that's what I've been using following with Mequiars Ultimate wax.

Thanks

Old 01-03-2016, 01:04 PM
YellowGSRocket
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know several that have used paint stripper on the inside of their wheel barrels to get down to the chrome and looks great.... After several attempts at using stripper I'm having NO Luck at getting them clean, Anything that you can suggest for an easier removal than a wire wheel...??

Before

After
Old 01-04-2016, 05:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by YellowGSRocket
I know several that have used paint stripper on the inside of their wheel barrels to get down to the chrome and looks great.... After several attempts at using stripper I'm having NO Luck at getting them clean, Anything that you can suggest for an easier removal than a wire wheel...??

Before

After
I don't recognize those wheels, are you sure they were not a painted set ?? Reason I ask, as most the time painted wheels are aluminum and not high polished or chrome.

I cannot easily recommend more than you have done or suggested. I suppose this is why most suggest painting the barrels black ... simply to avoid the hard work.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:43 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by randy ransome
Are you familiar with Norton Liquid Ice polishing pads, if so are they good enough to use with 3M Perfect-It ultra fine Machine Polish. I'm using a white pad.

I have a black ZR-1 and that's what I've been using following with Mequiars Ultimate wax.

Thanks

Unfortunately I am not familiar with those pads specifically nor their abrasive design.

Generally when someone is using 3M Perfekt it polish (which as I remember is a light finishing polish) you would want to use a light abrasive or finishing pad for polishing. Usually a finishing polish is designed to remove light marring from heavier polishing as well as amp'ing up the gloss and reflection.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:05 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,239 Likes on 910 Posts

I'm detailing a 2012 Corvette convertible. The black plastic rain drain channel around the trunk has a white spotty discoloration to the black plastic which I can't seem to remove. I have cleaned the area with several products and used Meg's Ultimate Black and Mother's Back to Black with very limited success. What would be good to try next? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
I'm detailing a 2012 Corvette convertible. The black plastic rain drain channel around the trunk has a white spotty discoloration to the black plastic which I can't seem to remove. I have cleaned the area with several products and used Meg's Ultimate Black and Mother's Back to Black with very limited success. What would be good to try next? Thanks!
Before using any protectant or darken product for trim, I would suggest cleaning the trim well and removing the white spots as possible. It can be mold, fading, or even dried wax or polish spots. I would use a All Purpose Cleaner with a soft tooth brush.

Once you feel the trim is cleaned well, then move onto the protectant of your choice. If its hard plastic, I have found G-techniq and Solution Finish work well on faded and discolored trim. Forever Black also offers a product with a dye to recolor area's with extreme fading or discoloration.
The following users liked this post:
cmonkey713 (01-22-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 08:49 PM
ASME
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Recommendation for Artic white

I just picked up a new Artic White vert. The paint is untouched. No dealer prep. What do you recommend to make the white pop, wax sealant or coating?
Old 01-26-2016, 05:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ASME
I just picked up a new Artic White vert. The paint is untouched. No dealer prep. What do you recommend to make the white pop, wax sealant or coating?
I personally would wash, light clay, finish polish and coat with Wolfgang's new Uber coating. I just did the same with my new daily driver ,although the color is much darker, the gloss level is insane on all colors. Coat wheels, barrels, and trim also.

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 06:27 PM
ASME
Instructor

I personally would wash, light clay, finish polish and coat with Wolfgang's new Uber coating. I just did the same with my new daily driver ,although the color is much darker, the gloss level is insane on all colors. Coat wheels, barrels, and trim also.

I agree. I love the gloss. Can the Uber coating be maintained with a detail spray? I always wiped down my C6 after every drive before I put the cover on it.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:54 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ASME
I agree. I love the gloss. Can the Uber coating be maintained with a detail spray? I always wiped down my C6 after every drive before I put the cover on it.
Yes ... Wolfgang suggests using their detail spray. I am playing with several other sprays, like Gtechniq with it also. I am hoping to find several winning combo's.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:04 PM
ASME
Instructor

Yes ... Wolfgang suggests using their detail spray. I am playing with several other sprays, like Gtechniq with it also. I am hoping to find several winning combo's.
PMed you with a few more questions. I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread