Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 10:06 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by ASME
PMed you with a few more questions. I want to make sure I get the right stuff.
Let me know if I can help further ....
Old 01-29-2016, 05:53 PM
ASME
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Let me know if I can help further ....
Thanks. You've been a great help.
Old 01-29-2016, 08:55 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ASME
Thanks. You've been a great help.

We appreciate you considering Autogeek for all your detailing needs. We want to be there before, during, and after a purchase. Thank you !
Old 03-28-2016, 08:25 PM
sbrooks64
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Can I use my DA Orbital with Chemical Guys Butter wax?
Old 03-30-2016, 07:27 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by sbrooks64
Can I use my DA Orbital with Chemical Guys Butter wax?
You can use a buffer to apply a wax. Use a slow speed and no pressure. Make sure the pad you are using is not abrasive.

If you are using the buffer to remove wax, consider a MF bonnet. Most foam pads will get caked up with old wax to quickly. You will likely want to have a couple bonnets ready also.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:21 AM
2012CyberGrayGS
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1. I am not sure exactly what materials my dash, door panel and other trim are made of. What should I use to clean and protect my interior trim on my C6 GS? For years I have used Lexol Vinylex on my interior and exterior trim and plastic pieces and have been very happy. Can I use it on the interior of my Vette?
1b.I just bought Wolfgang exterior trim sealant from you guys not long ago, can/should I used that on my rubber seals especially for my removable roof? Or should I use the Vinylex for that?
2. What do you think about those new clay mitts?
3.I am interested in the Speed Master Wheel Brush, a guy at work who turned me on to you guys loves it but I am not sure how well it will work on my rims. My concern is with the big brakes up front there is only about 2 fingers of gap between the rotor and the rim. I know it is supposed to fit into 1/2" spaces, will the bristles get stuck on the rotor?
Thanks
Jim
Old 04-11-2016, 08:20 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 2012CyberGrayGS
1. I am not sure exactly what materials my dash, door panel and other trim are made of. What should I use to clean and protect my interior trim on my C6 GS? For years I have used Lexol Vinylex on my interior and exterior trim and plastic pieces and have been very happy. Can I use it on the interior of my Vette?
1b.I just bought Wolfgang exterior trim sealant from you guys not long ago, can/should I used that on my rubber seals especially for my removable roof? Or should I use the Vinylex for that?
2. What do you think about those new clay mitts?
3.I am interested in the Speed Master Wheel Brush, a guy at work who turned me on to you guys loves it but I am not sure how well it will work on my rims. My concern is with the big brakes up front there is only about 2 fingers of gap between the rotor and the rim. I know it is supposed to fit into 1/2" spaces, will the bristles get stuck on the rotor?
Thanks
Jim
1. The dash and door covers are a type of plastic. They will respond well to Vinyl-X. Most prefer a clean dark and perhaps matte surface. Poorboys Natural Shine works well for those that want the original clean look. 303 Protectant adds a matte sheen any extremely popular.

1B. I have not personally used our Wolfgang Trim Sealant on weatherstripping. I was always a big fan of 1Z Einszetts Gummi Phledge. You should not have an issue using the Wolfgang, just remember to apply thin and in a uniform pattern. Its also great on trim pieces like the rear valance.

2. Clay mitts and block sponges can help to make claying quicker especially where multiple vehicles are done. I still enjoy a clay bar with lube. The tactile feel of clay is easy to feel , it actually sticks and studders on areas needing additional work.

3. The Speedway brush comes in two sizes. The larger one is a must have to clean the barrels. With the big brake kit and Iforged wheels I could not get the brush in the rotor area. I could roll the car to get that area and have used Wheel Woolies also. What I can offer is this is a great area to make a difference. Its truly ashame to see a well detailed car and all that brake dust blacking out the barrels. URGH !

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 04-11-2016 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 02:47 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

what do you think of the Meguiars MT300 vs. The Porter Cable 7424?

I'm going eventually get one & those two seem to be the most budget friendly. I'll only be doing my car & maybe my wifes car, once a year or so.....so I don't need a professional piece of equipment.

But I was just wondering what your professional opinion one those two is. Which do you suggest for a total beginner in the DA world?
Old 06-03-2016, 03:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by *El Ocho*
what do you think of the Meguiars MT300 vs. The Porter Cable 7424?

I'm going eventually get one & those two seem to be the most budget friendly. I'll only be doing my car & maybe my wifes car, once a year or so.....so I don't need a professional piece of equipment.

But I was just wondering what your professional opinion one those two is. Which do you suggest for a total beginner in the DA world?
There are actually at least three machines that are budget friendly and all use the same accessories and pads. You listed two and I would add the Griots Random Orbital.

The PC was the choice several years ago. The newer unit came out first and really needs another upgrade. The Megs and Griots machine "seem" to offer more power and torque. They also seem a bit smoother in use.

My choice currently would be the Griots, Megs, and then PC. No matter your choice get a 5in flexible backing plate and these machines can do some serious paint correction.
Old 06-06-2016, 02:52 PM
*El Ocho*
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts

damn, thanks! I didn't know about the Griots & looking at it now it really is VERY budget friendly!
The following users liked this post:
Killrwheels@Autogeek (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 02:55 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

More information for the clean up file.
Killrwheels@Autogeek (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Black 03 Z06
More information for the clean up file.
I hope that's a good thing
Black 03 Z06 (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

It is indeed.
Killrwheels@Autogeek (06-07-2016)
Old 06-09-2016, 02:07 AM
ETM
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

What would be the a Polish you would recommend that is applied by hand? I`ve used Megs polish and I was just interested in trying something new.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:05 AM
skar
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Black c6
What is the best all-round car wax/polish for a black vette.
I know they make black waxs for black cars only .
Old 06-09-2016, 05:48 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by ETM
What would be the a Polish you would recommend that is applied by hand? I`ve used Megs polish and I was just interested in trying something new.
I have to be honest, in that I don't hand polish. Way to much work for little results on very hard clearcoats. (like the Vettes) Now if you mean spot polishing, then I usually grab my bottle of Menzerna SIP or tube on Sonax polish. These are areas needing immediate attention, not full panels. For anything large, I have to move to a machine personally.

Originally Posted by skar
Black c6
What is the best all-round car wax/polish for a black vette.
I know they make black waxs for black cars only .
Best is personal perception especially in waxes. Two people can look at a finish and come up with different comments.

What I will offer is do you plan to specialize in each area of car care. (clay, polish, protect)

Or -- do you want one product that does it all ???

Do you want to rewax often, or prefer to put something on and not deal with it for a year or more ??? A regular 'nuba wax will need to be reapplied most often. Sealants (aka synthetic waxes) last longer. And then for long term, single application there is a coating.

Specialize = Look to a pure wax or pure sealant, Pinnacle and Blackfire are favorites as waxes. Four Star UPP is my favorite pure paint sealant.

AIO = Blackfire Total Polish and Shine, Klasse AIO

Coatings = Optimum Opticoat, or Wolfgang Uber Coating
Old 08-15-2016, 06:07 AM
tony carille
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jason , just purchased a 2016 Vette in arctic white with the stinger vinyl stripe and carbon flash mirrors spoiler and tinted roof panel . Would like to clay , polish & seal all , and all done by hand. What would you suggest is a good product(s) to use on all the surfaces , grill , rear bumper facia , spoiler,mirrors and all paint. Is there anything that can be used on all without screwing something up? Or do I have to tape off each? Thanks for any/all information.

Get notified of new replies

To Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 06:25 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tony carille
Jason , just purchased a 2016 Vette in arctic white with the stinger vinyl stripe and carbon flash mirrors spoiler and tinted roof panel . Would like to clay , polish & seal all , and all done by hand. What would you suggest is a good product(s) to use on all the surfaces , grill , rear bumper facia , spoiler,mirrors and all paint. Is there anything that can be used on all without screwing something up? Or do I have to tape off each? Thanks for any/all information.
Most products that have cleaners and/or polishes in them can effect trim pieces. The best line of attack is to tape them off and then consider using a trim coating on them for long term protection. If you are going to do this by hand and the car is in good shape, a product like Blackfire Total Seal would work well.

What I will offer is recently I have seen several "white" rides all done with ceramic coatings like Wolfgang Uber. They all show amazing gloss and shine. I personally would consider cleaning the paint separately and then using a coating. Just another thought ...

Scott
ronkh57 (08-15-2016)
Old 08-16-2016, 07:21 AM
tony carille
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Most products that have cleaners and/or polishes in them can effect trim pieces. The best line of attack is to tape them off and then consider using a trim coating on them for long term protection. If you are going to do this by hand and the car is in good shape, a product like Blackfire Total Seal would work well.

What I will offer is recently I have seen several "white" rides all done with ceramic coatings like Wolfgang Uber. They all show amazing gloss and shine. I personally would consider cleaning the paint separately and then using a coating. Just another thought ...

Scott
Jason thanks for the reply. Looks like if I do this will be taping off the trims. The things that worry me are the mirrors (CARBON FLASH ) and the shiny black portion of the rear bumper facia, and the taillight surrounds. I work in the auto industry ( auto dismantler , recycler) and really haven't been able to determine are these painted? Will the effects of using the polish and sealer effect their look? Again thanks for the info.and any other information about these that you can provide

Last edited by tony carille; 08-16-2016 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-16-2016, 08:30 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tony carille
Jason thanks for the reply. Looks like if I do this will be taping off the trims. The things that worry me are the mirrors (CARBON FLASH ) and the shiny black portion of the rear bumper facia, and the taillight surrounds. I work in the auto industry ( auto dismantler , recycler) and really haven't been able to determine are these painted? Will the effects of using the polish and sealer effect their look? Again thanks for the info.and any other information about these that you can provide
GM uses many different paints from gloss to matte. They also clearcoat most items for additional protection. If this is the case , then these areas should be treated just like paint. If they are in good condition and don't need polishing then consider protecting with the wax, sealant, or costing of choice.

If in doubt the material or if painted, you should test the product being used in a small inconspicuous area as possible.
tony carille (08-16-2016)

Quick Reply: Ask the Autogeek! Question & Answer Thread