Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How many times can you machine polish?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 11:48 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default How many times can you machine polish?

I have been using a PC for about 7 years on my black C5 and recently switched to a Flex. I was curious just how many times you can actually polish out micro scratches on a C5 (on average) before the clearcoat is completely removed?

Also how do you know when the clearcoat is finally gone - does the paint just start to look dull even after polishing?
Old 08-02-2008, 03:09 AM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I would think the paint could handle many years of proper polishing, but I've never heard of a "number of times". It would depend on what kind of polishing, as well. I would suspect that aggressive polishes can wear away at the clearcoat faster.

In any case, I believe if you were to go completely through the clear, and then have the base color coat exposed, then anytime you polished that spot, you would get color ruboff on your pad or towel. i.e., if you used a wax applicator to put a polish on a red car with no clearcoat, you'd get red rub-off. This happened with my red 1999 miata (none of which came with clearcoats). It was the first non-clearcoat car I ever owned, and the first time I polished it and saw all the red coming off on my rags, I panicked! Turns out, nothing was wrong... just didn't have a clearcoat.
Old 08-02-2008, 10:28 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

depending on the pad and polish combo, you should see many years of light polishing without issue. I use to joke, when you hit colored paint, its time to sell her.

Get notified of new replies

To How many times can you machine polish?

Quick Reply: How many times can you machine polish?