Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Microfiber towel leaving microfibers!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Last Canadian Exit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Microfiber towel leaving microfibers!

Okay, so I have a black car, I know you see everything, but should my microfiber towel be leaving little fibers behind when I am wiping off quick detailer? I bought the most expensive towel Advance had, thinking I would have no issue, but sure enough, this thing leaves some fibers behind. Do all towels do this? I wash the towel after each use like they say, so I don't know what the deal is!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:05 PM
Shimy86
Racer

Old 08-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

The MF towels I have from AutoGeek don't leave anything behind after the first wash. I suspect AG has higher quality towels than the auto parts stores would. With MF, it really seems like pony-ing up the extra few bucks makes a world of difference! I use cheaper MF's for things like door jambs, under-hood, etc. and use the AG ones for quick detailing or wax/polish removal.

They left minor traces of lint the first time I used them (did not wash them), so I washed the entire lot and have not had a scrap of lint whatsoever. I have a black Vette as well. The towels I have are the Supreme 530's. Also, I recommend the Guzzler MF drying towels... no lint there either (even before washing them) and holy hell!! Those things just SUCK water up like you'd never believe!

Old 08-27-2008, 03:43 PM
Last Canadian Exit
Racer

Man, I don't want to ORDER towels though. There has got to be good towels somewhere I can drive to!
Old 08-27-2008, 04:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

my towels are clearly a better quality that most stores, but some towels do leave some light lint especially when washed improperly. Keep them segregated from all other towels. If actual MF fibers are being released it sounds like a bad towel.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:00 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 924 Likes on 458 Posts

I have bought into the theory that there is a big difference in the quality of MF towels.
I have towels from the geek, and ultramicrofiber.com, and am extremely happy with them both.
Old 08-27-2008, 08:35 PM
jimmybobby
Drifting

If you don't want to order towels and you have a KMart near you, look in the car care section for Microfiber Quick Detailing Towel made by Viking. It's green/teal in color. They're one of the best otc towels you can use. I've heard some people have found them at Sears but it's hit and miss.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:43 AM
Bob88vette
Instructor

Originally Posted by Last Canadian Exit
Okay, so I have a black car, I know you see everything, but should my microfiber towel be leaving little fibers behind when I am wiping off quick detailer? I bought the most expensive towel Advance had, thinking I would have no issue, but sure enough, this thing leaves some fibers behind. Do all towels do this? I wash the towel after each use like they say, so I don't know what the deal is!

Bite the bullet and order a good one, even if it's just one for the final detail. Autogeek's are great.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:59 PM
l1dws
Racer

Try the orange microfiber from Target. No residue left behind. These are the best I could fine without ordering online. If you decide to order online try Griots Towels, they work very well. Good luck
Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 AM
0meghan@autogeek.net
Former Vendor

With some of our towels on BOGO and the 20% off special this weekend, you can't beat the price you will pay for our high quality cobra microfiber towels.
Old 08-29-2008, 02:09 PM
Chicago
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Cheap towels will leave the fibers behind, and also scratch up your paint. I learned this lesson long ago. I've bought microfibers from Autogeek as well as Chemical Guys. Order up a bunch and use as needed. Your paint will thank you.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:29 PM
0Pinnacle Corvette
Former Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11

I agree with them above but I would try first washing them if you didn't do it already. Sometimes if you don't wash them before you start using the new MF towels, they will leave a small lint like material behind. If this didn't fix it than I would invest in a better quality towel. I have purchased the orange/blue MF from Sams and they seem to do a great job and still after 6 months don't leave anything behind. Hope that helps.

Get notified of new replies

To Microfiber towel leaving microfibers!

Quick Reply: Microfiber towel leaving microfibers!