Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

What glaze/filler for swirl marks?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 04:19 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Default What glaze/filler for swirl marks?

I have some minor swirl marks on my C5Z06. Nothing major or too deep. However, due to the hardness of the clear coat, a buffer is really needed to remove the swirl marks. Unfortunately I don't have access to a buffer.

So what would you recommend for a good glaze or filler to temporarily take care of the swirl marks until the next time I can have it professionally detailed?
The following users liked this post:
canuck9 (05-29-2016)
Old 09-05-2008, 04:21 PM
0Z06Joe@AutoBuffs
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

A good combo that seems to work (imho) is the Menzerna SIP, followed by Nano. That combo works GREAT!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 04:44 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

I thought the SIP and Nano were used to correct swirl marks, not just to hide them. I thought both also required a machine buffer.
Old 09-05-2008, 04:59 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I would give Z5p a try to hide them.

If you are using a carnuaba based product give something like 3M Imperial Glaze/Nuba or EZ Creme/nuba a try.

Yes, sip and nano require a machine.
Old 09-05-2008, 05:42 PM
stig-zzz
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by efranzen
I thought the SIP and Nano were used to correct swirl marks, not just to hide them. I thought both also required a machine buffer.
great stuff that menzerna sip and nano power polisher only
Old 09-05-2008, 07:16 PM
KLO
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have some minor swirl marks on my C5Z06. Nothing major or too deep. However, due to the hardness of the clear coat, a buffer is really needed to remove the swirl marks. Unfortunately I don't have access to a buffer.

So what would you recommend for a good glaze or filler to temporarily take care of the swirl marks until the next time I can have it professionally detailed?

Sounds like you want a straight glaze, glazes are not durable at all and contain tons of oils to hide defects. If that is what you want, then a couple that are easy to find is Meguiars Mirror Glaze number 7 or 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:23 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

RMG.....Clearkote Red Moose Machine Glaze

or

DWG.....Danase Wet Glaze

Both are very good for what your looking for.......
Old 09-05-2008, 08:16 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

I tried Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #7 today. It did a pretty decent job and was nice and easy to apply. I topped it with Pinnacle Souveran and it looks good though still not quite what I'm looking for.

That Danase Wet Glaze looks interesting. I may have to give some of that a try.
Old 09-05-2008, 09:04 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I tried Meguiar's Show Car Glaze #7 today. It did a pretty decent job and was nice and easy to apply. I topped it with Pinnacle Souveran and it looks good though still not quite what I'm looking for.

DWG is a cut above all other glazes IMO. It is an acrylic polymer and has very good durability, no silicone
Old 09-05-2008, 10:10 PM
Dave1
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 61 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Check this thread out.....it's perfect for your needs.......

http://www.autopia.org/forum/detaili...?highlight=rmg
Old 09-06-2008, 10:58 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

The 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a good product and usually easy to find locally.
Old 09-14-2008, 06:53 PM
efranzen
Burning Brakes

Thanks again for the tip on the Danase Wet Glaze. I purchased the Red Moose Machine Glaze too but then read somewhere that it's not compatible with sealants, and I have Zaino topped with Pinnacle Souveran on my car.

The Danase claims to be compatible with sealants and waxes so I tried that for now. It also claims to repel dust, so I applied it on top of the Souveran which tends to attack dust.

I didn't get quite as much filling from the Danase as I'd hoped, though I did only apply a single coat. But wow, did it create a slick surface. I literally almost flung my microfiber off my car when I was buffing off the Danase. I thought maybe it was just my imagination so I did only half of my trunk and then tried gliding the towel lightly across it to see if I could tell where the Danase ended. I could definitely feel the areas where it was applied and where it wasn't.

So even though I didn't get quite as much filling as I'd hoped for, the Danase will definitely become a permanent part of my detailing supplies.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

you have offered some nice advice here, as yes the Danase Glaze offers sealant compatibility. I would also offer the new Poorboys Glaze (dark, light) as they too work well with sealants.

if you decide to go to a wax only, then RMG is about the best hand glaze made but again compatible with carnaubas specifically.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:29 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks again for the tip on the Danase Wet Glaze. I purchased the Red Moose Machine Glaze too but then read somewhere that it's not compatible with sealants, and I have Zaino topped with Pinnacle Souveran on my car.

The Danase claims to be compatible with sealants and waxes so I tried that for now. It also claims to repel dust, so I applied it on top of the Souveran which tends to attack dust.

I didn't get quite as much filling from the Danase as I'd hoped, though I did only apply a single coat. But wow, did it create a slick surface. I literally almost flung my microfiber off my car when I was buffing off the Danase. I thought maybe it was just my imagination so I did only half of my trunk and then tried gliding the towel lightly across it to see if I could tell where the Danase ended. I could definitely feel the areas where it was applied and where it wasn't.

So even though I didn't get quite as much filling as I'd hoped for, the Danase will definitely become a permanent part of my detailing supplies.

If you are already using Zaino/Pinnacle you are already hiding whatever you are going to be able to hide. I would go with additional coats of Z5p before I went with DWG since I found that DWG under Zaino seems to effect the durability of Zaino in a negative way and I did not see any additional benefits from it that would justify using it and compromising my Zaino finish.

My opinion is to use a few extra coats of Z5p until you have time to buff it out correctly with something like SIP/ZPC or SIP/106FF, my two favorite combo's.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:32 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

3M Imperial Hand Glaze?
Old 09-15-2008, 07:06 PM
GaussianMist
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm interested to hear which product worked best for you. I have my on swirl marks to fix.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:13 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by GaussianMist

I'm interested to hear which product worked best for you. I have my on swirl marks to fix.

the proven combo to remove (not hide) swirls is a machine buffer and Menzerna SIP and Nano Polishes. We sell them in 3 kits designed for Vettes specifically. One with PC, one with G110, and one with Flex but all offer the same polishes which are considered the best in polishes currently.

Get notified of new replies

To What glaze/filler for swirl marks?

Old 09-15-2008, 07:36 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
the proven combo to remove (not hide) swirls is a machine buffer and Menzerna SIP and Nano Polishes. We sell them in 3 kits designed for Vettes specifically. One with PC, one with G110, and one with Flex but all offer the same polishes which are considered the best in polishes currently.
This is the proper way to do this although I will say I recommend the Flex over the G110 since the Vette CC is so hard. You really need a powerful machine like the Flex.

Of course then you should continue doing what you have been doing and follow up with some Z5p to help hide whatever you cannot remove and then you will have a show quality finish
Old 09-15-2008, 09:01 PM
Vasupershine
Advanced

Most of the products recommended do have filling capabilities, but not close to the level of nasty product like Ardex polishes and most Malco products, they are designed for shops that don't know how to detail, and produce a swirl free finish with a wool pad that lasts a few weeks. Don't be surprised after the oils and fillers have outgased, your paint will be pretty ugly.

Rmg will not give off the appearance of a swirl free finish. Nor will dwg, and definitely not Z5p. Synthetics act as more of a magnifying glass to defects as opposed to cover ups.
Old 09-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Vasupershine
Advanced

Also beware of many polishes that have a tendency to "hide" swirl marks, many well known and expensive polishes (hell even the most often purchased tandem) have horrible issues of masking as well.

Quick Reply: What glaze/filler for swirl marks?