Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Rusty Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:47 PM
cam355aro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusty Rotors

My brake rotors, calipers were covered in rust. I sanded and brushed the rotor hat area and caliper and painted black. My question is it ok to sand away the rust with a high grit sandpaper on the rotor's disk that does not come into contact with the brake pad?
Old 05-05-2009, 04:23 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A wire brush and a rust absorber should work fine

Alternative-Zinc Aero Rotors are available either drilled or slotted, an optional anti-corrosion gold zinc coating benefits those who live in cold climates, where snow and road salt are commonly encountered. Zinc coating also benefits customers who prefer no visible surface rust on the vanes and outer circumference of rotors - Stop Tech - http://www.stoptech.com/products/rotors.shtml

A service to address the issue for drilled and slotted rotors that requires sanding each slot and hole with a Dremel then using a high-temp clear coat when finished, the clear coat is applied by brush and the surface of the rotor is finely sanded to remove excess clear coat so it does not come in contact with the brake pad, therefore leaving any and all high-temp clear coat in the slots or drilled holes.$30.00/Rotor off the car, return shipped in 2-3 days. Jason Auto Spa- http://www.jasonsautospa.com/
Old 05-06-2009, 12:39 AM
cam355aro
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was hoping to get out of this without paying any money. Won't the wire brush scratch the rotor to where it is unsafe?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:17 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cam355aro
I was hoping to get out of this without paying any money. Won't the wire brush scratch the rotor to where it is unsafe?
[...with a high grit sandpaper on the rotor's disk that does not come into contact with the brake pad?
Old 05-06-2009, 07:47 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TOGWT
[...with a high grit sandpaper on the rotor's disk that does not come into contact with the brake pad?
You should be fine. Sand away

Get notified of new replies

To Rusty Rotors

Quick Reply: Rusty Rotors