Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Long time Zaino user tries Rejex (Pix & Impressions...)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:14 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Long time Zaino user tries Rejex (Pix & Impressions...)

So I've been using Zaino as my primary means of detailing on my cars for years now, but I was bit by the bug of curiosity and wanted to give Rejex a try after seeing a great deal on it that I couldn't pass up. I pulled the trigger and got two bottles basically for the price of one.

So I Dawn washed the car and then dried it off and waited a bit before putting the Rejex on.

I applied Rejex on all the painted surfaces as well as the windows and lights. I first noticed that Rejex was a bit thicker than Zaino and had more of a dry, tacky feel to it as I applied it. I wouldn't go so far as to say Rejex is "harder" to put it on than Zaino, as both are relatively easy to apply, but I did notice that Rejex seemed to grip the cloth pad more than Zaino.

The Rejex dried to a haze pretty quickly and wiped off with ease, equally so as Zaino does. I really liked how Rejex went on the windows and lights, and as soon as I wiped it off I could see a nicer reflection in the glass.

Next it was time to pull the car out of the garage and take a look at it in the evening sunlight. I'll have to take a closer look in the mid afternoon sun tomorrow, but I have to say that at this point both Rejex and Zaino seem to have about the same level of gloss, shine and reflection. Rejex seems to feel a bit more slick to the touch than Zaino does immediately after application, but time will tell how long it lasts. Zaino definitely smells much better, not that Rejex smells bad by any means, but Zaino smells good enough to eat!

Overall, I'm quite pleased with Rejex, but it's still too early for me to pick a "winner." I'll have to see how long the slickness, gloss and reflective qualities last, as I already know Zaino is awesome as far as durability goes and I love how Zaino keeps looking better the more you put on. I'll have to see what happens with Rejex down the road as far as this goes.

I will give the nod to Rejex for its versatility. Being able to put it on everything from the car's surface to the glass, to the lights, and even the wheels is really a selling point. I haven't had the chance to put it on my wheels yet, but I expect it will be just as nice as everything else.

I'm trying to pick one at this point, I just wanted to give Rejex a try and figured I'd share the experience with the rest of you. That's it.

Here are some pics, keep in the mind the sun was setting and storm clouds were moving over so the light was going...

Old 05-07-2009, 08:57 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For rejex to properly bond you need to keep the car our of the elements for 12 hours.

You can put zaino on your wheels, plastic tail/head lights or the glass as well.

I have never tried it, but from what I understand you can't layer rejex as it contains 30% solvents by volume. I should say you can, but it won't layer.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by gmblack3
For rejex to properly bond you need to keep the car our of the elements for 12 hours.

You can put zaino on your wheels, plastic tail/head lights or the glass as well.

I have never tried it, but from what I understand you can't layer rejex as it contains 30% solvents by volume. I should say you can, but it won't layer.
Right, I'm letting it sit in the garage overnight. I always do the same with Zaino in order to allow it to cure.

And ya, I think you are right about Rejex not having the same layering effect that Zaino has, which is why I might stick with Zaino for the paint and use Rejex for the windows, lights and wheels...
Old 05-07-2009, 09:06 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB
Right, I'm letting it sit in the garage overnight. I always do the same with Zaino in order to allow it to cure.

And ya, I think you are right about Rejex not having the same layering effect that Zaino has, which is why I might stick with Zaino for the paint and use Rejex for the windows, lights and wheels...
Zaino Z2/5pro when used with ZFX is cured upon removal.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Zaino Z2/5pro when used with ZFX is cured upon removal.
Right, but I don't bother with ZFX. I just put Zaino on normally in the evening and let it sit overnight. ZFX is great stuff and all, but I don't feel like spending more $$ just to have the instant cure.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:21 PM
walker3
Le Mans Master

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

that is what I use - Rejex on wheels, and Zaino on wheels, (but Rejex on my kids cars since they only get waxed a couple of times a year)
Old 05-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

ZFX is great stuff and all, but I don't feel like spending more $$ just to have the instant cure.
Common misconception about ZFX. The cure time is the least that it does. It is a catalyst similar to the catalyst used in all automotive paints today. By not using it your not getting all the potential out of the polish that you can. Since your already doing the work why not get the full benefit and use the ZFX. Takes seconds to mix and cost pennies to use per coat.

From the Zaino website:

ZFX™ is a Zaino Show Car Polish cross-linking and acceleration additive. It offers near-instant cure time, reduced surface distortion, enhanced polish flexibility, and improved bonding to both paint and additional layers of Show Car Polish. In simple terms, ZFX™ vastly improves paint surface appearance and increases polish durability.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:58 PM
k0bun
Melting Slicks

Location: NJ..."the way I saw it, everyone takes a beating sometimes."
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Zaino (Z2) everything. Paint, lights, windows, glass top, wheels, even the exhaust tips.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:59 PM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusher
Common misconception about ZFX. The cure time is the least that it does. It is a catalyst similar to the catalyst used in all automotive paints today. By not using it your not getting all the potential out of the polish that you can. Since your already doing the work why not get the full benefit and use the ZFX. Takes seconds to mix and cost pennies to use per coat.

From the Zaino website:

ZFX™ is a Zaino Show Car Polish cross-linking and acceleration additive. It offers near-instant cure time, reduced surface distortion, enhanced polish flexibility, and improved bonding to both paint and additional layers of Show Car Polish. In simple terms, ZFX™ vastly improves paint surface appearance and increases polish durability.
Well that begs the question.... rather than charging a small fortune for a few drops of this catalyst, why not just integrate it with the Z2/Z5. I refuse to use the ZFX.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:21 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Default Z-AIO Preferred Choice Over Rejex

I use Zaino polishes on my Vette, and enjoy detailing it as a pass time, but my wife’s cars and company vehicle are a different story. So I bought Rejex to try on those vehicles. I mainly bought it as a one step approach with long lasting protection. I have not been that impressed with the results. It's easy enough applying and removing, but the overnight wait and it's lasting (or should I say lack of) quality I’m not impressed. My company car is not sheltered, and is exposed to the elements 24/7. I found that Rejex did not last any longer then other cheaper polishes (Nu Finish, etc.) that I have used in year gone by. It lasted about two months. After two months, water laid flat on the paint (no beading).

I bought Rejex before Z-AIO was available. I feel that Z-AIO is Zaino’s answer to Rejex. Since Z-AIO is compatible with other Zaino products, easy if not easier to apply and remove, and there is no overnight wait, this is definitely my preferred choice.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 AM
dan6712cc
Drifting

Originally Posted by GizmoZ
Well that begs the question.... rather than charging a small fortune for a few drops of this catalyst, why not just integrate it with the Z2/Z5. I refuse to use the ZFX.
I completely agree with this statement, I remember when ZFX first came out it was a miracle that applying multiple coats of Zaino would not take up a week waiting for each previous layer to dry. Then the price came out and an already expensive sealant became more expensive to use. They should make ZFX standard, none of the other sealants I use have that kind of waiting time or require a different product to make the sealant bearable to use time-wise. It really makes an easy to use product a PITA compared to others on the market and that's why I switched to other products from being a "nothing but Zaino" guy.
Old 05-08-2009, 12:24 AM
dan6712cc
Drifting

Originally Posted by Onyasix
I found that Rejex did not last any longer then other cheaper polishes (Nu Finish, etc.) that I have used in year gone by. It lasted about two months. After two months, water laid flat on the paint (no beading).
Every time I have used Rejex on the Vette I get at least 6 months of beading and a nice luster, and that's on a daily driver. The problem may be in the prep but I have never heard of Rejex not beading after 2 months. In fact after I stopped using Zaino I used Rejex only and it outlasted Zaino. Now I use Jeff Werkstat Acrylic Jett which has about the same durability as Rejex but lasts a bit longer (amount of product) and is easier to apply. How many coats of Rejex did you use and what kind of prep was done to the cars where it only lasted 2 months?
Old 05-08-2009, 07:47 AM
easyrider13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Onyasix
I use Zaino polishes on my Vette, and enjoy detailing it as a pass time, but my wife’s cars and company vehicle are a different story. So I bought Rejex to try on those vehicles. I mainly bought it as a one step approach with long lasting protection. I have not been that impressed with the results. It's easy enough applying and removing, but the overnight wait and it's lasting (or should I say lack of) quality I’m not impressed. My company car is not sheltered, and is exposed to the elements 24/7. I found that Rejex did not last any longer then other cheaper polishes (Nu Finish, etc.) that I have used in year gone by. It lasted about two months. After two months, water laid flat on the paint (no beading).

I bought Rejex before Z-AIO was available. I feel that Z-AIO is Zaino’s answer to Rejex. Since Z-AIO is compatible with other Zaino products, easy if not easier to apply and remove, and there is no overnight wait, this is definitely my preferred choice.
I'm glad that you found a product that you like, but you are comparing apples and oranges. Rejex is a sealant. It is not an AIO. Any synthetic sealant is going to adhere better to a properly-prepared surface (and it will look better too).
My 2002 Mercedes E320 gets polished and Rejexed in the late fall. It is stored outside and makes it through the winter just fine.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Because if you add to much catalyst the product will curdle in the bottle.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

For the same reason paint catalyst isn't integrated in the can of paint. I for one can afford the small fortune of 22 cents per coat it costs to use the ZFX to get the full benefit of the Z2/Z5.
Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 AM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dan6712cc
I completely agree with this statement, I remember when ZFX first came out it was a miracle that applying multiple coats of Zaino would not take up a week waiting for each previous layer to dry. Then the price came out and an already expensive sealant became more expensive to use. They should make ZFX standard, none of the other sealants I use have that kind of waiting time or require a different product to make the sealant bearable to use time-wise. It really makes an easy to use product a PITA compared to others on the market and that's why I switched to other products from being a "nothing but Zaino" guy.
Rejex has a 12 hour cure time and is due to it high solvent content can't be layered.

So I image you used Z1 with Z2/5 if you did not use ZFX back in the day. If you did decide to apply another coat the next day or week, it did layer.

So as you are now a rejex user tell me again how the sealant you use does not have a waiting time.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:26 AM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crusher
For the same reason paint catalyst isn't integrated in the can of paint. I for one can afford the small fortune of 22 cents per coat it costs to use the ZFX to get the full benefit of the Z2/Z5.
and I for one can afford to use other sealants that don't require a catalyst for their full benefit.

Get notified of new replies

To Long time Zaino user tries Rejex (Pix & Impressions...)

Old 05-08-2009, 09:27 AM
GizmoZ
Drifting

Originally Posted by TH0001
Because if you add to much catalyst the product will curdle in the bottle.
Polycharger?
Old 05-08-2009, 11:14 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

and I for one can afford to use other sealants that don't require a catalyst for their full benefit.
Use what you want, I'm not trying to convert you. My reply had to do with your statement "rather than charging a small fortune for a few drops of this catalyst".

Certainly over exaggerating. I didn't feel that 22 cents per coat was a Small Fortune. Maybe you do.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

I don't put rejex on the windows any more, I did it the first time and then whenever i used windex to clean up the windows, it would smear when it dried.

Other than that, Rejex is great, I use it on the X5 twice a year and it keeps on beading.

Quick Reply: Long time Zaino user tries Rejex (Pix & Impressions...)