Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

California Duster Care & Feeding

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:13 PM
George's_Vette
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default California Duster Care & Feeding

So I'm new to the car detailing gig for my new C-6. Got a California Duster but it lacked instructions on how to properly care for the duster. Once you've cleaned the car a number of times how do you remove the collected dirt from the units fabric? I was able to remove the handle but there must be some way to wash the collected dirt from the units head?

George
Old 05-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have not, I would wrap it in newspaper for a day or so and let some of the wax get absorbed from the fibers. You don't have to do much other than that - shake it to get small pieces of dirt out but thats it. You can take it off the handle and wash it - if you do that I would use a microfiber wash. But you don't have to wash it for quite some time IMO. It was such a pain to take off the handle I'd just buy another. But that's me.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:46 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly I would throw it in the garbage. I have yet to see a califorina duster that doesn't scratch paint. Maybe when they are fresh they don't, but as they pick up dirt, they become like little pieces of sand paper.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:07 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

Just shake it out, I have used mine for over a year without washing it and used properly it does not scratch the paint. Just dust the surface very lightly, and if the car is more than dusty then wash it, do not use the duster.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:16 AM
PurePrestige
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TH0001
Honestly I would throw it in the garbage. I have yet to see a califorina duster that doesn't scratch paint. Maybe when they are fresh they don't, but as they pick up dirt, they become like little pieces of sand paper.

There are microfiber versions of the duster that are washable, but anything you drag across your paint is prone to cause micro marring.

Also, the California Car Duster works because its fibers contain paraffin wax to hold the dust so if you wash it you end up stripping out the wax and are left with a plain cotton mop. Another vote for the garbage.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:20 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Initally you should follow instructions and wrap in newspaper. After that just shake out befor and after use. I've had mine 20+years and other than shaking have not had a problem. Never washed. Good luck
Old 05-18-2009, 10:27 AM
50yrzo6
Instructor

This issue is fresh in my mind as our Corvette club sponsored our annual car show yesterday. I noticed most people would just quick detail their car once they were parked. Is this better or worse than say using a duster and then quick detailing? Having a black car I know there is a fine film of dust on there even just sitting at the show and driving there. I know the lubricity of the QD is good, but still, wouldn't it be better to dust it first?? I don't know, I've put my car under halogen lights and LIGHTLY run the duster over it and in all honestly can't see any new scratches. On the other hand I've QD'd it after a drive and all of a sudden I see micro scratches. I've started just leaving it dusty till I can wash it but that doesn't work for a show. Any good suggestions??
Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,543 Likes on 2,159 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by 50yrzo6
This issue is fresh in my mind as our Corvette club sponsored our annual car show yesterday. I noticed most people would just quick detail their car once they were parked. Is this better or worse than say using a duster and then quick detailing? Having a black car I know there is a fine film of dust on there even just sitting at the show and driving there. I know the lubricity of the QD is good, but still, wouldn't it be better to dust it first?? I don't know, I've put my car under halogen lights and LIGHTLY run the duster over it and in all honestly can't see any new scratches. On the other hand I've QD'd it after a drive and all of a sudden I see micro scratches. I've started just leaving it dusty till I can wash it but that doesn't work for a show. Any good suggestions??
I have always used the California Car Duster 1st and then the Quick Detailer and I haven't found any scratches. I did that on my old black Corvette as well. As long as you aren't trying to move dirt and you glide it over the surface I don't beleive they scratch.

You could argue that washing too often also subjects it to the potential for scratching as well. I was one of the people that resisted the California Dusters for years feeling that anything dry, rubbed over the paint would scratch. But I am now a convert. I really think it's nonsense to suggest that a car that was freshly detailed and only has a light film of dust on it needs a complete wash every time. If that were the case, I'd be washing every time I drive the car. I know there are those that will disagree, and I respect their opinions, but I just can't see it.
Old 05-18-2009, 11:40 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,920 Likes on 4,806 Posts

I would use the California Duster than a detail spray with micro fiber towel and you will be fine.
Originally Posted by 50yrzo6
Old 05-18-2009, 12:12 PM
Stan MI
Pro

There are a series of videos posted by Junkman2008. One of them shows him using the CD to dust the surface. He uses a VERY light touch.

I would think if your getting scratches you might be resting the duster on the car as apposed to letting it just barely touch the car as in the video.

JMT
Old 05-18-2009, 04:01 PM
50yrzo6
Instructor

Originally Posted by capevettes
I really think it's nonsense to suggest that a car that was freshly detailed and only has a light film of dust on it needs a complete wash every time. If that were the case, I'd be washing every time I drive the car. I know there are those that will disagree, and I respect their opinions, but I just can't see it.
That was sort of where I was going to next, as much as I love washing/detailing my car I just don't have an hour or two to do it every time I drive it.

There were a few of us talking about this yesterday and it was the consensus that it was better to dust lightly w/ a duster then QD. Ooops, didn't mean to hijack the thread! Appreciate the input
Old 05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

While I much prefer a good detail spray (which also adds lubrication) and a thick ultra soft MF towel for minor dust removal, a Cali Duster could be ok for super light dusting. It does have paraffin wax to help pull dust up and away from surface. One problem, items like pollen are extremely abrasive and if used improperly with duster could contaminent the duster and harm paint. Tread carefully ...
Old 05-18-2009, 11:22 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Be careful with the California Duster. I use mine only to get the very light dust the car gets from sitting in the garage after it was put away freshly washed. Avoid using it on a dirty car. Wrap it in newspaper before you use it the first time to get the excess greasey parafin out of it, and shake it often. Never drag it across the finish, just lightly pull the tips of it over the car, the dust will be drawn up in to it. They are really cheap so tossing it if it gets too dirty or contaminated is the best option.
Remember, if the car is dirty or has been driven you should wash it before using the California Duster, or even a Quick Detailer and micro fiber for that matter. There is too much of a chance of getting a piece of dirt or debris trapped in whatever you are pulling across your paint when you try to take a short cut with a dirty or driven car.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:05 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,238 Likes on 909 Posts

I have a Black '07. When I use the CD is is for very light dust and using a very light touch. My duster is about six years old and has never been washed. I do run it through the dryer on air-only cycle once a month to get the particles out. I'm seriously considering replacing it soon just because of the age and amount of use over the years.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:53 PM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car Duster:
The best known brand (California Car Duster) it can be used to remove pollen or light dust without causing scratches hold at the end of the 21-inch handle and applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only, the dust is collected by paraffin wax and held in the cotton fibres (the same way a micro fibre cloth works (but without the paraffin wax)

For heavy dust or dirt use Optimun No Rinse (ONR) Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while you’re using it. It important to use the duster only for the removal of dry surface dust, if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc the vehicle surface should be washed

Dust build-up-with low humidity conditions friction on the paint surface will cause static electricity (this is exacerbated by the use of polyester (nylon) Micro fibre resulting in dust attraction to the paint surface.

Rinsing the surface with water or applying a quick detailer (QD) or use the CCD as stated above to remove dust. When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper (48 hours) to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works (I've been using mine now for almost five years without it being washed) http://www.calcarduster.com/faq.asp
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM
PJRed2008
Pro

What do you do for a new duster that will be in the sun all day? I did the newspaper wrap and have used it a couple times, but there is a show & shine in two weeks that I'll be using it for. We have to park in the sun and I'm concerned that having the duster in the back will give me a puddle of wax at the end of the day.

Old 06-12-2009, 04:24 PM
mongooseC6
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PJRed2008
What do you do for a new duster that will be in the sun all day? I did the newspaper wrap and have used it a couple times, but there is a show & shine in two weeks that I'll be using it for. We have to park in the sun and I'm concerned that having the duster in the back will give me a puddle of wax at the end of the day.

I keep a CD in the back of all my cars. I always put them back in the sleeve to prevent wax from seeping into the carpet. I have never had a leak. If you are concerned, put a thick towel under it or wrap it in something.

I have had no problems with using CD's on black cars, red cars, orange cars, nothing. I do get lots of unsolicited opinions for and against CDs when we are at "show n' shine" People either love em or hate em. Everybody has their preference so I live and let live and keep on using my Cal Duster.

Like other posters - use it with a very light touch, barely skimming the surface of the car - no rubbing or swirling around. It is the best thing in the world to re-touch a black car after you drive it to the show and it sits for a few seconds.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:39 PM
Mr. Wonderful
Le Mans Master

Location: Slower than a speeding bullet................ Fort Lauderdale, FL
Received 201 Likes on 125 Posts

I've probably had my cali duster 10 years and never ever thought about washing it.
That would only ruin it. These things last forever.

Get notified of new replies

To California Duster Care & Feeding

Quick Reply: California Duster Care & Feeding