Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Please Critique My Products and Procedures

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2009, 01:17 PM
SirDaniel
Account disabled by request 17 Apr 2018

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Please Critique My Products and Procedures

While I have been maintaining and preparing Corvettes for show since 1975, I am far from the level of expertise of some of you here on the board. (My first Corvettes were waxed with good 'old Turtle Wax in the green and white can.) I'd welcome any comments and/or suggestions.

I regularly wash with Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash, although I use Dawn prior to applying a fresh coat(s) of Rejex. I wash whenever necessary and apply Rejex every two months or so. I seldom drive my Corvette during Love Bug season and remove any bug juice within 24 hours using Deep Crystal wash only.

I use only Rejex on the exterior paint but frequently touch up between washings with Meguiars Quik Detailer. I also use Quik Detailer as a "spritz" while drying after a wash. This seems to provide a nice, deep, luster for the dark purple color. The Quik Detailer is only used "over" the Rejex.

I'm basically pleased with the results I'm obtaining but am certainly open to suggestions for a better process. This has been my basic process since switching to Rejex approximately six years ago.

Four specific questions:
Is the Dawn wash prior to fresh coat(s) of Rejex necessary or will the Deep Crystal suffice?

Since I'm only using Rejex and Quik Detailer, am I endangering the paint by not using an additional "protectant"? The heat and sunlight in Florida can be brutal.

I use the same procedure and products on my original sawblade wheels. Should I be using an additional specific product to protect the wheels?

Would I be better off using one of the more recently introduced quick detailer products rather than the vintage Meguiars Quik Detailer?

Thanks,
dan

Last edited by SirDaniel; 07-12-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Added specific question on wheels.
Old 07-12-2009, 04:41 PM
Black04Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SirDaniel
While I have been maintaining and preparing Corvettes for show since 1975, I am far from the level of expertise of some of you here on the board. (My first Corvettes were waxed with good 'old Turtle Wax in the green and white can.) I'd welcome any comments and/or suggestions.

I regularly wash with Meguiars Deep Crystal car wash, although I use Dawn prior to applying a fresh coat(s) of Rejex. I wash whenever necessary and apply Rejex every two months or so. I seldom drive my Corvette during Love Bug season and remove any bug juice within 24 hours using Deep Crystal wash only.

I use only Rejex on the exterior paint but frequently touch up between washings with Meguiars Quik Detailer. I also use Quik Detailer as a "spritz" while drying after a wash. This seems to provide a nice, deep, luster for the dark purple color. The Quik Detailer is only used "over" the Rejex.

I'm basically pleased with the results I'm obtaining but am certainly open to suggestions for a better process. This has been my basic process since switching to Rejex approximately six years ago.

Four specific questions:
Is the Dawn wash prior to fresh coat(s) of Rejex necessary or will the Deep Crystal suffice?

Since I'm only using Rejex and Quik Detailer, am I endangering the paint by not using an additional "protectant"? The heat and sunlight in Florida can be brutal.

I use the same procedure and products on my original sawblade wheels. Should I be using an additional specific product to protect the wheels?

Would I be better off using one of the more recently introduced quick detailer products rather than the vintage Meguiars Quik Detailer?

Thanks,
dan
There are better and safer products to remove old wax than Dawn. Dawn is known for removing beneficial oils from plastic and rubber. I've been guilty of using Dawn myself on my cars. You should find a pre wax cleaner. I've tried a few and like the DoDo Juice right now.

I would consider a wheel wax like Poor Boys for the saw blades. I used Wheel Wax brand on mine before Poor Boys came out with their product. It made it a whole lot easier to clean the wheels. Or, you might be able to apply Rejex to the wheels too. I never tried it on wheels.

I also like 303 for all of my exterior plastic and rubber.

The best advice I ever received when it comes to car care is to use what works best for you.

Hopefully, a lot of guys will chime in with better advice.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2009, 07:26 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Dawn will not strip a paint sealant off, and thus not really doing much here. I generally dont ever suggest any need for a dishwashing liquid in car care. You can indeed use a paint cleaner prior as wanted for a better finish. Polishing is the best choice, but if you choose not to polish with a buffer then certainly look into a paint cleanser. Since you have already chosen your sealant consider Pinnacle or P21S paint cleanser. You could also use Klasse AIO is wanted.

Clearcoat and paint in general offer more UV protection than most waxes, think how thin a layer of wax or sealant really is. Certainly a Quik Detailer likely adds none, so you "could" move to a spray wax to add a bit more protection over the sealant of your choice. Easy ones that look good would be Pinnacle Souveran Spray Wax, Duragloss Aquawax, and my fav Four Star Spray Wax.

How do you clean wheels prior to protection ?? I would suggest a good safe wheel cleaner like P21S or Griots. Use a Exdetail Brush to clean the barrels too. Once done, coat the wheels with the sealant of your choice or something like Poorboys of DP Wheel Sealants. You will likely only need car wash and water for several washings.

Megs Ultimate Quik Detailer and Megs 135 (brown bottle) and nice qder+ type products and offer their latest technology. If its a quick detailer you want and desire these are nice choices. If you are using them for protection and looks over your sealant, then likely moving to a spray wax or spray sealant would offer some difference.

www.autogeek.net
Old 07-12-2009, 08:25 PM
MurphMan2
Pro

Originally Posted by Black04Z06

I also like 303 for all of my exterior plastic and rubber.

The best advice I ever received when it comes to car care is to use what works best for you.

Hopefully, a lot of guys will chime in with better advice.

Good luck
I'm a firm believer in 303 and use inside and out for almost everything from the seals to the engine and even on the coated leather seats.

Black04Z06, good advice, but some of the things folks use out of habit or just the way they been doing it for years can be harmful as this link will point out especially when it comes to the 'rubber' on our cars.

http://www.303products.com/tech/inde...Product_ID=292
Old 07-13-2009, 02:03 PM
SirDaniel
Account disabled by request 17 Apr 2018

Thanks so much to all who replied.

Since I just yesterday finished an all-day session with the car, I'll take the next two months to study up a bit and get some new products.

I'm interested in a paint cleanser, a wheel cleaner, and probably a new quick detailer or substitute. Thanks, Scott, for the suggestions on the new products.

I've very satisfied with Rejex, so I'll probably stay with it. I use it on both our daily driver trucks as it helps so much with bug removal.

BLACK04Z06 and MurphMan2,
I've used 303 for eight or nine years and am amazed at the results I've obtained. I use it on the plastic interior parts, leather, rubber, outside trim, weather stripping, tires, etc. It's also great for the exposed hydraulic hoses and other similar uses on my tractors. Wonderful product. I purchase it by the quart, so no changes here.

dan

Last edited by SirDaniel; 07-13-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-13-2009, 07:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

thank you for considering us ... if you need help, please email or PM me and call us toll-free as desired. We aim to earn your business now and in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Critique My Products and Procedures

Quick Reply: Please Critique My Products and Procedures