Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

water spots after rain-x

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:44 PM
obone
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default water spots after rain-x

I have a couple of older vehicle that I'm trying to get spots off of the glass that had previously been treated with Rain-x. No glass cleaner is working. Acetone will not budge it. Does anyone have any thought about how to get this stuff off?
Old 08-10-2009, 02:22 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

Originally Posted by obone
I have a couple of older vehicle that I'm trying to get spots off of the glass that had previously been treated with Rain-x. No glass cleaner is working. Acetone will not budge it. Does anyone have any thought about how to get this stuff off?
On a few cars I had to use Z-12 Glass Polish and my flex buffer, it removed them but was not easy
Old 08-10-2009, 02:59 PM
obone
Racer

I thought about using the steel wool method but one of these is a GM Suburban and that is a lot of glass. I was hoping to find some chemical that would work.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 PM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Besides the Zaino option here are a couple more,

If you're working by hand,
Diamondite® Glass Cleaning System Kit

If you want to work by machine,
DP High Performance Glass Restorer

Another option although it's not specifically a glass cleaner is M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner. I lived in Oregon most of my life and it rains enough there that most cars that are parked outside for any length of time end up with water spots on the paint and the glass. When you detail a customer's car you can't make the paint shiny and then leave the water spots on the glass, it doesn't look right and customers expect everything to be clean and shiny.

As such I usually used an aggressive paint cleaner by hand or with a rotary buffer to polish out all the glass first and then do the paint polishing work.

The product I usually used was M04 Heavy Cut Cleaner, it uses a large chunky diminishing abrasive and it was the large size of the abrasive that enabled it to cut off the film built-up on the glass but at the same time the abrasive wouldn't scratch the glass so it was a safe option to use.

There are other products that can do this to, M04 was just something I had with me most of the time. Shared this on the MOL forum years ago and a few months ago one of the members used this product to remove the water spots of their car's glass and actually wrote a pretty good article on the process.

How To Remove Water Spots off Glass using M04 with an RB

Before

Half & Half

After

All three options will work to restore a clear, smooth finish to exterior glass.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:27 PM
msslp04
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '11,'14

I will have to try the M04 soon. Thanks for the tip.

Kevin
Old 08-10-2009, 07:34 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would highly recommend the Glass Science Glass Scrub - 10 oz to deep clean the glass and remove the water marks. It has removed some of the worst water marks I have encountered.

Greg @ DI
Old 08-11-2009, 03:44 PM
obone
Racer

[QUOTE=Mike Phillips;1571088893]Besides the Zaino option here are a couple more,

If you're working by hand,
Diamondite® Glass Cleaning System Kit

If you want to work by machine,
DP High Performance Glass Restorer

Mike, do you need to treat the glass after using MO4?
Old 08-11-2009, 07:36 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html

I have used the DP Glass Restorer by hand and buffer with nice results. There was an awesome review some time back by Bugman too. I then coated mine with Aquapel and no more issues. Much better than Rain-X and lasts longer too.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:43 PM
obone
Racer

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
http://www.autogeek.net/dp515.html

I have used the DP Glass Restorer by hand and buffer with nice results. There was an awesome review some time back by Bugman too. I then coated mine with Aquapel and no more issues. Much better than Rain-X and lasts longer too.
I just spent 2 hours working the DP glass restorer with my PC and the glass pads from Autogeek. It was a waste of time! I tried it on different areas and all with the same results. I tried different PC setting and still nothing seemed to move.

Now I'm trying to find the M04 locally to try.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:23 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Use a foam pad from the buffer like the white or orange Lake Country ... I have not tried the glass pads. Sorry to hear you are having such trouble.

Get notified of new replies

To water spots after rain-x

Quick Reply: water spots after rain-x