Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Zaino. To machine.. or not to machine? That is the question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 06:27 PM
DaddyBytes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zaino. To machine.. or not to machine? That is the question.

I have often read that it is recommended that polish be applied using a machine and NOT by hand.

Does this apply to Zaino products as well? The FAQ on the Zaino website recommends that you DO NOT use a machine.

Q: Can I use an orbital polisher to apply/remove Zaino polish? A: Yes, you can use an orbital to apply Zaino Z-2, Z-3, or Z-5. I don’t recommend it because you waste too much polish that way. The pad on an eleven inch polisher can absorb almost enough polish to coat your entire vehicle. Each time you use an orbital to apply Zaino polish, you are probably wasting as much polish, if not more than you actually applied to the car. Zaino polish applies easily by hand, especially if you dampen the applicator pad with water and spritz it with Z-6 before applying it. If you use an orbital to remove the residue, you should place a white, 100% cotton towel between the pad and the paint, and keep it turned and refolded often so that you are removing the residue with a clean section of towel all the time. Note: A single orbital pad WILL NOT remove the polish residue from an entire vehicle. You will have smears if you don’t use a towel and turn and refold it frequently.

What are your thoughts? Can Zaino be applied effectively without the use of a machine? I have no experience with polishing machines so I was hoping I could get good results by hand.
Old 08-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

My thoughts are that it can be more effectively and evenly applied via machine but what will be argued is the amount of waste that will occur. I use the machine if I am in a hurry and need protection on the vehicle. If I am just wanting to relax, I will use it by hand. The key to either is light application.
Old 08-22-2009, 08:36 PM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

ZPC by machine.
Z5/Z2 by hand.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:28 AM
WAwatchnut
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by steve8
ZPC by machine.
Z5/Z2 by hand.

It all depends on what you're applying. If you're applying Z-2 or Z-5, which is really a polymer sealant, then just like a wax, you're applying material on top of your paint. Applying by machine doesn't give you much benefit. If you can apply it thinly by hand (you can) then you don't need a machine.

For something like Z-PC, or Z-AIO, which both contain abrasives, and are designed to smooth out the paint, then the buffers provide many benefits. You can't really break down the abrasives, or evenly apply pressure across larger sections of paint, by hand, which will lead to less than ideal results.
Old 08-23-2009, 08:20 AM
DaddyBytes
Advanced

Thank you for all the advice.

I was planning on using Z-AIO for the base (possibly Z-PC). So it appears I should apply that using a machine. The other products I have listed will suffice with hand application.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by DaddyBytes
Thank you for all the advice.

I was planning on using Z-AIO for the base (possibly Z-PC). So it appears I should apply that using a machine. The other products I have listed will suffice with hand application.
Yes, I would do ZPC or Z-AIO by machine and then follow up with Z2p and/or Z5p by hand.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:39 PM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by WAwatchnut

It all depends on what you're applying. If you're applying Z-2 or Z-5, which is really a polymer sealant, then just like a wax, you're applying material on top of your paint. Applying by machine doesn't give you much benefit. If you can apply it thinly by hand (you can) then you don't need a machine.

For something like Z-PC, or Z-AIO, which both contain abrasives, and are designed to smooth out the paint, then the buffers provide many benefits. You can't really break down the abrasives, or evenly apply pressure across larger sections of paint, by hand, which will lead to less than ideal results.

I'd use an orange pad on the PC to get optimal results with these on the Vette.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:55 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by steve8
ZPC by machine.
Z5/Z2 by hand.
Old 08-23-2009, 05:37 PM
tdekany
Racer

I personally use a pc/flex to apply z2/z5 simply because otherwise I overapply.

FYI, my favorite applicator is the german applicator, which zaino also have for sale. I really like those for even application.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:40 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I apply by machine as I beleive you apply a more even coat. I put my pads in a bag so that they do not dry so minimal wastage. AIO seems to remove more dirt when applied by machine. My $0.02
Old 08-25-2009, 02:02 AM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Z-PC by Machine

The rest, by hand or you'll just waste product without getting any added results of the machine.

Get notified of new replies

To Zaino. To machine.. or not to machine? That is the question.

Quick Reply: Zaino. To machine.. or not to machine? That is the question.