Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

clay vs. windshield water spots

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 10:06 AM
white top
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default clay vs. windshield water spots

Anyone use clay to remove water spots from the car glass. Your thoughts.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:32 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

Clay bar will take allot of surface contamination off of various surfaces. Try it and see if it works on your water spots. If it doesn't work get a little more aggressive. I know that AutoGeek has some great products just for glass. Contact them if the clay bar doesn't work.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:03 PM
0Detailed Image
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by white top
Anyone use clay to remove water spots from the car glass. Your thoughts.
I agree with the above post. The clay bar can remove contaminants and some of the white residue. However water marks can etch in to the glass and that will not be removed by clay. For those instances I recommend the Glass Science Rain Clear - 5 oz + Bonus. This kit has the Glass Scrub to deep clean the paint and remove water marks. It has also has the Rain Clear Gel to protect the glass from water marks in the future. It also makes driving in rain, sleet and snow much easier. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Greg @ DI
Old 10-17-2009, 03:20 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Clay bar will take allot of surface contamination off of various surfaces. Try it and see if it works on your water spots. If it doesn't work get a little more aggressive. I know that AutoGeek has some great products just for glass. Contact them if the clay bar doesn't work.
While clay can certainly help remove contaminents on glass, I have found two products that I can attest to that do the work of a super clay. Our DP Glass Restorer is a polish and glass cleaner built into one product. I use it often and seal my glass with Aquapel. The other is our Diamonite Spray Clay designed as one part of a three part glass system. Its easy to use and washes flush away.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:51 PM
IBCAMN
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clay works great on water spots. I had some spots on my boat windshield from the Mississippi that I could not get off. Scrubbed glass with Stoners and could not get rid of them. I clayed the windshield and it looked like new.
Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 PM
itsjer
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '09

I have the same problem on my new truck. I will have to try your suggestions this weekend. Thanks!!
Old 10-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Innovative714
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the clay method fails, try using 4 "OOOO" steel wool, with a very fine cleaner polish, Meguiar's M80 works well. Test in a small area first to make sure you are getting the desired results.

I have also used Meguiar's #47 religiously on my Eliminator Boat which is a dark purple gelcoat on the transom to combat hard water spots. It works fabulous, spray on....allow 20-30 sec dwell time and then wipe off. For windows I would do the same, then clean with a premuim window cleaner.

http://marinerv.meguiars.com/product...r-Spot-Remover

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Old 10-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used clay with success but I use foaming glass cleaner as a lube. gives it more bite $0.02

Get notified of new replies

To clay vs. windshield water spots

Quick Reply: clay vs. windshield water spots