Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax Convert (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:16 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax Convert (PICS!)

So after having spent the last 8 or so years using a number of Zaino products, I've decided to give something else a try. I'm still a big fan of Zaino, however I've had some issues with Z2Pro lately. I've been reading up on the differences between the true carnauba waxes and the synthetic polymers and have decided to try Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax. The reason being it's a blend of both natural canauba for the deep, wet shine and synthetic polymers that help durability. I figured it's a best of both worlds kind of thing. I didn't want to go with a pure canauba since they don't hold up for very long and I've been shying away from a pure polymer sealant because I've had some issues with water spotting and so forth.

Anyways, without getting much more into all that, here's the process I went through in prepping/applying the Fuzion Wax.

1) Wash with Zaino Car Wash

2) Remove existing layers of Zaino with Zaino PC (w/Porter Cable and orange pad)

3) Prep the surface with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion (w/Porter Cable and white pad)

4) Apply one coat of Wolfgang Fuzion (using foam applicator)

5) Stand back and enjoy

As you can see, I'm still a big fan of Zaino, particularly the Z-PC, which has done a great job of keeping minor surface marks, swirls and water spots at bay. Using the 7424 Porter Cable, it makes the job quite easy with good results.

The Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion did a nice job of helping clear up the paint, making it a little shinier before the wax than just going with the Z-PC alone would have.

Now, onto the Wolfgang Fuzion...

First off, it's not cheap. An 8oz. container runs $129.99. A little steep when you first think about it, but I noticed that right now AutoGeek is including a free 3oz. container with every purchase of the 8oz. size. That's a $49.99 value in itself. On top of that, every 8oz. container comes with a free refill, so that's a total of 19oz. for $129.99. Not too bad considering how long that should end up lasting. I gave the 3oz. can to my dad for his new Camaro...

The Fuzion wax is a smooth, buttery consistency that smells quite nice. Not as candy-like as Zaino, but still nicely appealing to the smell.

It goes on with ease, like butter on bread. I was amazed at how little product is actually needed to do the entire car. Zaino is like this as well in that you don't need a lot to go a long way. However, I'd have to say that the Fuzion seemed to take a little less to do the entire car than the Zaino, but not by much.

This is where the first big advantage to Fuzion comes in. No wait time after applying before you can buff it off! Not that waiting for Zaino to haze over is a big deal, but it does save time you can spend enjoying the final result when you can simply apply the Fuzion to a section of the car and immediately buff it off before moving to the next section. At first I was skeptical at how well it would apply if I didn't wait, but to my surprise the buffed surface was smooth and slick to the touch without being greasy.

After doing my whole car I noticed a slightly deeper shine than with Zaino and I'd have to say the Fuzion look is a bit more wet to me. Zaino has an amazing shine as well, don't get me wrong, I'm by no means trying to knock it. I just think that while Zaino's shine is top notch, I didn't notice as much depth as I have with a canauba look. That is probably also why it looks more wet as well.

I will admit that at first I thought maybe it was just the fact that I had tried something new that made me think there was a noticable difference, but then my wife came home from work and noticed as well. Without knowing I had tried something different she said, "wow it looks really shiney!" I asked her if it looked different than it had before and she said "it looks more slippery."

I then drove over to my parents house and my dad said the car looked wet and greasy, but when he proceeded to touch it he was surprised it was smooth and slick while not at all greasy or wet to the touch.

Today is overcast and not nearly as nice out as it was yesterday, so I still have to see how the appearance looks at mid-day in a bright sunny environment, but so far I have to say I'm happy with my decision to give Fuzion a try. I know it probably won't hold up quite as long as Zaino, but since it does have polymers added to the carnauba it will last long enough that by the time I'm ready for another coat it will still be providing enough protection. I'll be curious to see how well it does next time it rains, so the jury is still out on that one.

Overall my first impressions of Wolfgang Fuzion are that it's a solid investment for the fussy car owner who enjoys taking care of the car's appearance but doesn't want to spend a ton of time doing so. An afternoon or an evening is all it takes for a great finish. I always thought Zaino was easy, but Fuzion gets the knod since there's no drying time required and you don't have to wait 24 hours for another coat if you want to apply more.

Finally, here are some photos. Again, note that it's overcast outside today and the sun isn't really getting a chance to bring out the full effect of the wax. I'll update this thread with more photos once I get the chance to get some in the sun.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:57 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

I really like Fuzion, its really hard to make yellow pop, but it seems to do a good job at it.
Old 12-11-2009, 03:23 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by EVIL_C5
I really like Fuzion, its really hard to make yellow pop, but it seems to do a good job at it.
I was just noticing today that the car seems more yellow. Not that the wax is yellow at all because they use a transparent wax, but I think the level of depth the canauba provides helps bring the color of the paint out more than the purely synthetic sealants do.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:22 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Excellent write up....open and honest.....great results.....Am considering trying something different, will put this at the top.....
Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,042 Likes on 593 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Default Fuzion

Shock, I have a TR Z06 and tried Fuzion last year with great results. Really looks good on your car. Where in NC are you? We have a nice club in Eastern NC if you are close. Again great results from the Fuzion. Enjoy!
Old 12-11-2009, 07:12 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

I'm outside the Raleigh area, probably a little ways from you in the Eastern side of the state.

Are you still using Fuzion? How did you think it held up under weather/rain? Any issues with spotting or anything like that?
Old 12-11-2009, 07:41 PM
tommy grantham sr.
Racer

I wonder how it works on black .Icurrently use pinnacle solv. I would jump up If there Is big difference.Tommy
Old 12-11-2009, 07:45 PM
ShockwaveGT
Drifting

Originally Posted by tommy grantham sr.
I wonder how it works on black .Icurrently use pinnacle solv. I would jump up If there Is big difference.Tommy
I was going to try Souverän, however since that is more a pure wax it doesn't have the durability of the Fuzion which has the added polymers. That was really the deal breaker for me since I've been a long time Zaino user and am used to the long lasting effects of the synthetics.

I'd bet that Fuzion does wonders on black as well. I mean if it was able to make yellow look as nice as it did on mine, I'd think black would only look even better.
Old 12-11-2009, 08:12 PM
EVIL_C5
Uber Waxer
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 8-9-10-11 Veteran
CI 9, 10 & 11 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'10

Originally Posted by tommy grantham sr.
I have done several black cars. Check out my post on 65 vette detail.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:02 PM
got2hav1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,042 Likes on 593 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods)

Originally Posted by ShockwaveTXB
I'm outside the Raleigh area, probably a little ways from you in the Eastern side of the state.

Are you still using Fuzion? How did you think it held up under weather/rain? Any issues with spotting or anything like that?
I am using Wolfgang 3.0 sealant mainly. But I use the Fuzion on the door jambs and was amazed at how wet and slick they looked. Got a lot of compliments at shows. My car is not a daily driver so I really can't comment on durability. Recently I tried topping the Wolfgang with Dodo Juice Orange Crush and was really pleased with this. It is supposed to be for warm colors Reds, Oranges, and Yellows. I think it might even be better than Fuzion so far as wet look goes. I doubt that it would hold up as long as Fuzion. But if you feel like expeirmenting give the Orange Crush a try as well. You can buy a small sample for about 13 bucks. Autogeek and other forum vendors have it. One plus for Fuzion ,( and I think you mentioned this as well ) it is a wipe on wipe off wax. Whereas the Orange Crush does have to dry for a few minutes. But you can not go wrong with either in my opinion.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:00 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Glad to see you loved Fuzion .... I hope you also found some value in how darn easy it is to apply and also to remove. While we suggest very light uniform coats, overapplication does not mean hours of rubbing and those hazy marks on car for days.

As noted above there are some light differences between each boutique wax and hard to ever guage by pics. Some even suggest at first or light glance there is no difference. With our two show waxes , Souveran (by Pinnacle) was made many years ago to mimic and enhance a beauty wax that sold for 400.00 per jar from another famous wax company. It used the best ingredients at the time and really used black paint for testing and looks. Well Fuzion is modern, infact it uses polymer technology from outside the US, the best available at this time. It is infact a completely different design and makeup from Souveran other than using carnauba as an ingredient.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
0meghan@autogeek.net
Former Vendor

Fuzion is not only a great wax for shine and looks, but one of the easiest to work with! Glad you are happy with it!
Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,929 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Can not argue with those results, car looks super.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:39 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Is fusion better than souvern
Old 12-12-2009, 11:34 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by arkus
Is fusion better than souvern
They are different ... cannot easily say one is better than the other. I personally still prefer Souveran on blacks specifically but durability is indeed lower. That said its still so darn easy to apply/remove a coat that 10 minutes (seriously) is all thats needed. Fuzion is a hit on all colors and just as easy to use.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:40 AM
arkus
Melting Slicks

I have both and get great results from both . I guess all of the good waxes like dodo , fusion etc .. They are so good it's probably just personal prefrence .

Get notified of new replies

To Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax Convert (PICS!)

Quick Reply: Wolfgang Fuzion Estate Wax Convert (PICS!)