Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Removing Aquapel?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 12:16 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

Default Removing Aquapel?

Does anyone know of ANYTHING that will remove Aquapel from the windshield and the hatch?

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of (Alcohol, Lacquer Thinner, etc.) - even worn out an orange pad on my Flex with Zaino Glass Polish (which helped) and the crap is still on there and creating more of a dull haze every week! This is absolutely THE WORST PRODUCT I have ever used. I even applied it to my glass shower door and you talk about a mess - can't even see out of the door at all and I wipe it down after every shower! I almost can't see out of my windshield after several months - it just degrades or something over time and I can't get it off.
The following users liked this post:
Anonymous User (06-22-2023)
Old 12-31-2009, 02:26 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Choreo
Does anyone know of ANYTHING that will remove Aquapel from the windshield and the hatch?

I have tried EVERYTHING I can think of (Alcohol, Lacquer Thinner, etc.) - even worn out an orange pad on my Flex with Zaino Glass Polish (which helped) and the crap is still on there and creating more of a dull haze every week! This is absolutely THE WORST PRODUCT I have ever used. I even applied it to my glass shower door and you talk about a mess - can't even see out of the door at all and I wipe it down after every shower! I almost can't see out of my windshield after several months - it just degrades or something over time and I can't get it off.
I have applied Aquapel on at least 20 of my clients windshields this year and have never had an issue. I also have it on my GMC truck and my wifes BMW. I reapply about every 6 months.

How long ago did you apply it?

When you applied it, how long did you wait to remove it?

I just tried to call Aquapel to ask how to remove it, but they are gone for the holiday. I'm suprised that the glass polish did not remove it.

EDIT: I bouight my GMC truck in Oct of 07. I found a Aquapel info pack in the glove box after purchase. My truck came from another dealer in town who is famous for "Add on's" My dealer did not have any add on's when I bought the truck.

Up untill 6 months ago we where in a drought here in the Atlanta area. So the first dealer applied application lasted approx 18 months w/ little to no rain before I reapplied in April of this year. I could tell the treatment was diminishing, but never experienced any hazing, streaking or clouding of the glass.

I just reapplied again in Oct when I noticed the treatment was diminishing. Again no issues.

Last edited by gmblack3; 12-31-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Alaskanpilot
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Wow.. that stuff is really on there.

I might suggest some really fine steel wool, like 0000 grade. I haven't used this myself but I've read good things about how well it works on certain windshield anomalies. I've also read other remarks that cry bloody murder over it. So take it for what its worth, but it did seem to help some folks without making a mess of the windshield. I'm assuming the Aquapel is on the exterior glass? I don't think the steel wool trick would be wise on window tint, for example.

Any of the experts here have any thoughts on the fine steel wool?

Last edited by Alaskanpilot; 12-31-2009 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:03 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by gmblack3
I have applied Aquapel on at least 20 of my clients windshields this year and have never had an issue. I also have it on my GMC truck and my wifes BMW. I reapply about every 6 months.

How long ago did you apply it?

When you applied it, how long did you wait to remove it?

I just tried to call Aquapel to ask how to remove it, but they are gone for the holiday. I'm suprised that the glass polish did not remove it.

EDIT: I bouight my GMC truck in Oct of 07. I found a Aquapel info pack in the glove box after purchase. My truck came from another dealer in town who is famous for "Add on's" My dealer did not have any add on's when I bought the truck.

Up untill 6 months ago we where in a drought here in the Atlanta area. So the first dealer applied application lasted approx 18 months w/ little to no rain before I reapplied in April of this year. I could tell the treatment was diminishing, but never experienced any hazing, streaking or clouding of the glass.

I just reapplied again in Oct when I noticed the treatment was diminishing. Again no issues.
I have to agree, I use Aquapel and LOVE it. Never get anny haze after I remove the initial application.

Should not be that hard to remove either, Zaino Glass Polish will make short work of it real quick.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:07 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

As I recall I applied it around March last year. It was unnoticeable until summer, but then the MF towels would start to drag more and more over time (when using the Aquapel window cleaner) and dust would just form in streaks on all the outside windows (mostly on windshield and cargo window). I never got to test how it did in the rain as it really never rained here when I was out in the car. I also used it on the inside of my home shower door and it just started looking like soap scum after a few weeks. The best way I can describe the look and feel is Resin - like what you would but on a violin bow.

Yes, I only applied it on the OUTSIDE of the car windows.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:32 PM
GotChrist?
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. It was terrible on my truck's windshield. One day while driving home after work in the rain, the wipers were jumping so much, the passenger side actually worked itself off the wiper arm. I quickly shut the wipers off and drove home without them. Fortunately I wasn't too far from home at that point with only a few stops to concern myself with. I mixed up water, Dawn, and isopropyll in a spray bottle. It took many apps and only thinned it out some it seemed. Found an old tube of windshield stripper that I applied with my Griots 3" ROB going over it several times. It still took time and not sure that it's completely off the ws. Best wishes in your battle of this evil monster. LOL
Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

First time I have ever heard any complaints on Aquapel and gotta believe something else is creating the issue. Aquapel is a clear sealant type material and wears off naturally in the environment in around 4-6 months. I have used it on my three cars, and several friends cars without issue. I am truly mistified as to what is on the glass >>

As for removal, any polish should be able to use it. Heck, I have removed it with my small 3 inch buffer using our DP Glass Restorer. I had some water marks and removed, polished glass, and reapplied without issue. I never noticed any wiper chatter either (my biggest complaint with RainX) but do make it a choice to replace wiper blades annually due to heat/humidity in South Florida.

Could application been over applied ?? Basically you squeeze the applicator to break it. Immediately wipe the area, grab a paper towel to wipe (removing excess) , and then rebuff with seperate paper towel to remove after it hazes. One applicator can only do two average size glasses and then should be tossed.

I truly wish I could help more ...

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 12-31-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:09 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
First time I have ever heard any complaints on Aquapel and gotta believe something else is creating the issue. Aquapel is a clear sealant type material and wears off naturally in the environment in around 4-6 months. I have used it on my three cars, and several friends cars without issue. I am truly mistified as to what is on the glass >>

As for removal, any polish should be able to use it. Heck, I have removed it with my small 3 inch buffer using our DP Glass Restorer. I had some water marks and removed, polished glass, and reapplied without issue. I never noticed any wiper chatter either (my biggest complaint with RainX) but do make it a choice to replace wiper blades annually due to heat/humidity in South Florida.

Could application been over applied ?? Basically you squeeze the applicator to break it. Immediately wipe the area, grab a paper towel to wipe (removing excess) , and then rebuff with seperate paper towel to remove after it hazes. One applicator can only do two average size glasses and then should be tossed.

I truly wish I could help more ...
I have to agree, Aquapel never gave me any types of issues.

I have had similar issues with RainX causing gummy stuff on my windshield and skipping and this is why I stopped using RainZ. But Aquapel has always performed flawlessly and lasted longer than any other product I have tried.

If anybody has any Aquapel they want to get rid of please let me know and I will forward you my address.

Only thing I can think of is maybe you did not remove it properly when you first applied it or something was on the windshield and when you applied it it mixed with it and had a bad side effect.

Did you clean the windshield properly before applying Aquapel?
Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by agentf1
I have to agree, Aquapel never gave me any types of issues.

I have had similar issues with RainX causing gummy stuff on my windshield and skipping and this is why I stopped using RainZ. But Aquapel has always performed flawlessly and lasted longer than any other product I have tried.

If anybody has any Aquapel they want to get rid of please let me know and I will forward you my address.

Only thing I can think of is maybe you did not remove it properly when you first applied it or something was on the windshield and when you applied it it mixed with it and had a bad side effect.

Did you clean the windshield properly before applying Aquapel?

I think so. The windshield had recently been replaced and I had no issues with the Aquapel until summer. Plus I have the same problem on my shower door in the house after a few months.

Just need to know how to get it off.
Old 01-08-2010, 02:01 PM
gmblack3
Safety Car

Direct from tech support at Aquapel:

It is okay to clean the windshield with isopropyl alcohol first. Aquapel is a chemical bond with glass so the cleaner the windshield is the better the bond. As far as removing it, you can use a product called Bon Ami and that will take it off.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:53 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by gmblack3
Direct from tech support at Aquapel:
Great! I will give that a try!

THANKS!
Old 04-18-2015, 02:24 PM
sawyerkj
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remove Aquaprel

I used original "Gunk" brand Engine degreaser. I sprayed it on the windshield and rubbed in a circular motion. Two minutes later, no more Aquaprel!
p.s. I find funny the posts from the guy who sells Aquaprel telling us he's never had an issue and that we should apply more to solve the solution. Nice try!
Old 01-03-2018, 01:31 PM
BillPinVT
1st Gear

Aquapel worked great on my windshield until it aged and the New England weather turned cold. The aquapel, and whatever other gunk that gets sprayed on at the car wash (whether you want it or not) started to turn into a permanent goo on the glass. When I tried to clean it, I failed. I finally found that Carb Cleaner (Cyclo in my garage) did the job. I sprayed the cleaner on a microfiber towel, away from the car and the car paint and was impressed by the immediate and complete result. A little more spray on the towel to wipe the blades and they seem better than I can ever remember. Thinking to the future, I may apply aquapel in the spring and remove it again when the cold weather arrives.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:16 AM
Anonymous User
1st Gear

Default Not impressed

I paid $30 for my AQUAPEL and would pay $100 to have it removed. Worst product ever. Stick with good Car Soap/Rain X to avoid the headache this gimmicky product has caused me.

Get notified of new replies

To Removing Aquapel?

Quick Reply: Removing Aquapel?