Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wax?Polish?Wash? I am Confused!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 08:37 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wax?Polish?Wash? I am Confused!!

So whats the difference between all these things, what am i suppose to do? In what order?

Do i wash, then claybar, then wash again, then dry, then polish, then wax???

I have a black c5 and its gets dirty the day after i wash it and there are small scratches on the back of my car, so could someone tell me how to do that whole thing from step one to the end?
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Short answer.

Wash & dry
Clay (I prefer to use QD as a lube and just wipe dry with MF)
Polish
Wash (if needed)
Wax.

Corvette paint is very hard, I recommend you pick up a ROB at the very least to do your paint correction.

Read this forum, tons of great info on here.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:09 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

can i just claybar after i wash my car when its still wet?

What is the best polish and wax to use beside Zaino, Zaino website made everything seems crazy and i am even more confused after going to thier site.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Walkthedog
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I too was a little confused. There are so many products and so many people using different combinations. I thought I could do better, so I decided to listen to one "expert" vendor. They were very nice and set me up with different products. I spent some bucks took the time and my LMB c6 looks GREAT, or least I think so.
If you are cruising through Sacramento let me know.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:53 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

i might be in the Sacramento area in a week or two, need to do some school related stuff there
Old 03-17-2010, 08:32 AM
MMartin
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mel3535
can i just claybar after i wash my car when its still wet?

What is the best polish and wax to use beside Zaino, Zaino website made everything seems crazy and i am even more confused after going to thier site.
After you wash the car, go ahead an dry it. When you clay it, use a lubricant with the clay, Meguiars clay bar kit is sold with a spray bottle of Quick Detailers spray. Spray about a two foot square section, clay it, and then wipe off with a microfiber towel.

Check out this forums sponsor, autogeek.net, they have some very helpfull videos, and there own forum.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:53 AM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MMartin
After you wash the car, go ahead an dry it. When you clay it, use a lubricant with the clay, Meguiars clay bar kit is sold with a spray bottle of Quick Detailers spray. Spray about a two foot square section, clay it, and then wipe off with a microfiber towel.

Check out this forums sponsor, autogeek.net, they have some very helpfull videos, and there own forum.
Ok thanks
Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 PM
JoshVette
Le Mans Master

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

You can clay the car while it's still wet but you better be sure all the dirt is rinsed off the car and I would soap it up again too for extra lube but that's just me, it's personal preference, I just find it faster to combine the two steps.

In a nutshell,

Polish is abrasive product to reduce/remove fine scratches and such, always use after you clay and before you wax. I would use a ROB machine for better results. I like Menzerna products for polishing and Meg's has a few good ones out as well.

After polishing to your satisfaction I would rewash before waxing/sealing the paint so as to remove powder/dust as well as any lubes/oils from polishing so the wax/sealant has raw paint to stick too.

Waxes/Sealants only protect, they do not really "polish"/enhance the look of the paint, they are really designed to protect the finish from environmental elements, not acid rain or bird bombs.

So as mentioned:

Wash
Clay
Polish
Rewash
Wax
Admire
Admire
Admire

Josh
Old 03-17-2010, 01:52 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JoshVette
You can clay the car while it's still wet but you better be sure all the dirt is rinsed off the car and I would soap it up again too for extra lube but that's just me, it's personal preference, I just find it faster to combine the two steps.

In a nutshell,

Polish is abrasive product to reduce/remove fine scratches and such, always use after you clay and before you wax. I would use a ROB machine for better results. I like Menzerna products for polishing and Meg's has a few good ones out as well.

After polishing to your satisfaction I would rewash before waxing/sealing the paint so as to remove powder/dust as well as any lubes/oils from polishing so the wax/sealant has raw paint to stick too.

Waxes/Sealants only protect, they do not really "polish"/enhance the look of the paint, they are really designed to protect the finish from environmental elements, not acid rain or bird bombs.

So as mentioned:

Wash
Clay
Polish
Rewash
Wax
Admire
Admire
Admire

Josh
Do i need to wash it after i clay it, i can just wipe off the area that i clayed with a microfiber right? Then polish and then wash again with soap and then i am done?

What is the best polish, my car has quite a few scratches in the bumper area? and what about wax, what should i use?
Old 03-17-2010, 05:45 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

This diagram might help with the general process of detailing. We also offer an area to review and bookmark for future reference. It doesnt need to be hard however and we can help walk you thru the products and steps needed to help.

Generally you will wash, clay, polish, rewash or wipe down, and protect. There are indeed products to help make this simple and here are a couple suggestions.

Wash --- Duragloss, Optimum, Poorboys
Clay --- most kits will do, consider best value at time of purchase
Polish --- a machine (PC, Megs, Griots, Flex) is needed and polishes (Menzerna, Megs) and pads (1-2 each type)
Protection --- Waxes (Pinnacle, Poorboys, DP) , Sealants (Four Star UPP, Wolfgang, Menzerna, Duragloss)

Again, please consider calling us and we can walk you thru the processes and how-to's as needed especially with the products you choose or intend on using.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:26 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by JoshVette

In a nutshell,

So as mentioned:

Wash
Clay
Polish
Rewash
Wax
Admire
Admire
Admire

Josh
Some clarification is needed here. Zaino Polish is not abrasive. They do sell a paint cleaner and swirl remover (Zaino PC) and that is abrasive.

In my experience the luster polish (not rubbing compound, something like Zaino polish) provides lasts longer than wax.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:02 PM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Looking for the longest lasting wax then look no further, Collinite is the one;

http://properautocare.com/colliniteauto.html

Angelo
www.ProperAutoCare.com
800-628-7596
Old 03-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Melvin,

I wash my Vette again after claying just to make sure that I remove all clay residue that may be left on the finish after claying. I've notice clay residue mostly when using the softer clay bars such as Griot's.

It sounds like to me that you have more than minor scratches in your paint finish. That being the case, you need to have it machine polished/compounded to remove heavy scratches. If you plan to do it yourself, I would recommend a good orbital polisher and polishing compounds with the appropriate level of abrasives to remove and polish out the scratches. There are many good products available; I use Menzerna polishes/compounds for heavy scratch removal projects.

When serious scratch removal is not required, I use Zaino's polishes to seal, polish and remove/cover very minor scratches and swirls. With the exception of Z-PC, I hand apply the Zaino products. Z-PC has mild abrasives and it is my experience it needs to be applied with machine to achieve any noticeable results. Z-AIO also has very mild abrasives (with cleaners) but I would recommend Z-PC with machine first followed by Z-AIO by hand. To take care of any remaining light blemishes, Z-5 may provide the appropriate fillers to hide them. Once all scratches, swirls and minor blemishes are removed/hidden, start with your polishes and sealants (I start with Z-2 at this point).

If you decide to go with Zaino, one of its main selling points is its laying ability. You can continue to add layer on top of layer with Zaino polishes. I’ve found that 3 layers of Z-2 will give you close to the maximum shine/depth that is noticeable. To maintain the Z shine you can periodically add Zaino polish over older previous layers.

These are my basic recommendations and do not cover all the recommended steps when applying Zaino (Z-6, Z-8, ZCS, etc.). Have fun.

Old 03-21-2010, 08:39 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyasix
Melvin,

I wash my Vette again after claying just to make sure that I remove all clay residue that may be left on the finish after claying. I've notice clay residue mostly when using the softer clay bars such as Griot's.

It sounds like to me that you have more than minor scratches in your paint finish. That being the case, you need to have it machine polished/compounded to remove heavy scratches. If you plan to do it yourself, I would recommend a good orbital polisher and polishing compounds with the appropriate level of abrasives to remove and polish out the scratches. There are many good products available; I use Menzerna polishes/compounds for heavy scratch removal projects.

When serious scratch removal is not required, I use Zaino's polishes to seal, polish and remove/cover very minor scratches and swirls. With the exception of Z-PC, I hand apply the Zaino products. Z-PC has mild abrasives and it is my experience it needs to be applied with machine to achieve any noticeable results. Z-AIO also has very mild abrasives (with cleaners) but I would recommend Z-PC with machine first followed by Z-AIO by hand. To take care of any remaining light blemishes, Z-5 may provide the appropriate fillers to hide them. Once all scratches, swirls and minor blemishes are removed/hidden, start with your polishes and sealants (I start with Z-2 at this point).

If you decide to go with Zaino, one of its main selling points is its laying ability. You can continue to add layer on top of layer with Zaino polishes. I’ve found that 3 layers of Z-2 will give you close to the maximum shine/depth that is noticeable. To maintain the Z shine you can periodically add Zaino polish over older previous layers.

These are my basic recommendations and do not cover all the recommended steps when applying Zaino (Z-6, Z-8, ZCS, etc.). Have fun.

I am a zaino detailer myself. excellent info.. although I go strickly with z5pro.......on dark finishes

Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Ziano seems to be a really good product but there is all these ziano stuff it's makes my head feel like it's gonna explode, what are the essentals of ziano product line? I just need to remove the scrathes and then wax? Could someone tell me exactly which ziano product to use and in what order?
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
I am a zaino detailer myself. excellent info.. although I go strickly with z5pro.......on dark finishes
Ken,

Just for the record: Any members with black cars should be baned from displaying them on the forum. Any time that I am completing againts a black Vette in concour it feels like he is cheating.

Proofs is in the putting, you've over done yourself to bring the mirror out of the black. I think that I will be appling more layers of Z-5 from now on. As you stated Z-5 is highly recommend by Zaino for darker colors. I have always used it as a prep before applying Z-2. I think now I will apply more coats of Z-5 and finish with just a final coat of Z-2. My main reason for using the Z-2 as a final coat/layer is that is what Zaino recommends. Personally, looking at your pics I question whether Z-2 is necessary. It has been my understanding that the main difference between the Z-5 and Z-2 is that the Z-2 has no fillers. Other than that there is little difference.

If you get one degree more of shine out of the black, you're going to walk out of your house one morning not knowing were your Vette is to only walk over to your driveway and stumble over it.

Last edited by Onyasix; 03-21-2010 at 11:42 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:34 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Ok so

wash
claybar
wash
z5 pro( I am going to assume this is a polish)
then what do I use for wax?

Get notified of new replies

To Wax?Polish?Wash? I am Confused!!

Old 03-21-2010, 09:42 PM
BWF07
Le Mans Master

Received 819 Likes on 388 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11
Oldtimer

I have a Torch Red and I wash and dry. Then clay with DS as the lub and wipe each area with a microfiber towel. I then polish with my PC ROB, followed by wax. I have never washed after the clay or the polish. I happen to use Adams products and the results I fine are excellent.

Old 03-21-2010, 11:57 PM
mel3535
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TR6speed
I have a Torch Red and I wash and dry. Then clay with DS as the lub and wipe each area with a microfiber towel. I then polish with my PC ROB, followed by wax. I have never washed after the clay or the polish. I happen to use Adams products and the results I fine are excellent.

sorry to bother you guys with so many stupid questions, but Tr6speed could you name exactly what adamns polish and wax do you use? I went to Kragen and i did not even find any ziano products there
Old 03-22-2010, 12:46 AM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Ziano seems to be a really good product but there is all these ziano stuff it's makes my head feel like it's gonna explode, what are the essentals of ziano product line? I just need to remove the scrathes and then wax? Could someone tell me exactly which ziano product to use and in what order?
Melvin, as I posted previously, if the scratches are anything but minor, Zaino products will not remove them nor satisfactorily hide them. If they are very minor scratches then try Z-PC to get rid of them. You can try the Z-PC by hand but if that is not successful try applying it with an orbital polisher. If that doesn't work, then you are back to square one as in my earlier post . . . Menzerna or equal.

Ok so

wash
claybar
wash
z5 pro( I am going to assume this is a polish)
then what do I use for wax?
You can apply waxes over Zaino polishes/sealant but it is not necessary. I would not recommend using waxes over Zaino products unless you have thorough knowledge of what and why. Applying Z-5 or Z-2 over waxes would likely compromise its bonding.

Minor scratches and swirls to remove use Z-PC. (Has abrasives)

Very minor scratches and swirls to remove use Z-AIO (optional as a bonding agent with minor abrasives)

Z-5 Pro this is a polish/sealant with fillers to cover/hide very minor scratches and swirls. The more layers of Z-5 Pro the more it will hide minor blemishes. Zaino recommends for darker colors. (Has no abrasives)

Zaino recommends Z-2 Pro as the final polish/sealant to be applied for the ultimate finish. (Has neither abrasives nor fillers)

Z-CS is a sealant to extend durability and can be applied over any polishes or waxes (cured). (Optional)

Z-8 is a final spray sealant to enhance the shine and should be used occasionally as the last step after polishing. (Optional)

Z-6 is the work horse; use between layers of polishes/sealants, can be used daily on clean painted surfaces, use it after each washes.

Last edited by Onyasix; 03-22-2010 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Wax?Polish?Wash? I am Confused!!