Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Help with crud on Chrome Wheels

Old 04-19-2010, 10:02 AM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help with crud on Chrome Wheels

I purchased a set of OEM Chrome Wagon wheels last year.
I took my car out this year for its first wash and wax and noticed some crud on a couple of my wheels. both wheels are on the passenger side so I am assuming I must of hit something on the road that splashed up on the wheels. Normally I just use car wash soap to clean and then windex to shine them up but car wash soap or windex is not doing anything its almost like its etched to the wheel. I'm guessing some chrome polish maybe should work? attached are a few pics.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Jim D.
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Hard to tell -- pics are good, but not very close-up.

Safest thing to try would be a quality light polish like Mothers Chrome Polish with a microfiber applicator or towel.

You may need to resort to an acid-based chrome-specific spray-on, hose-off wheel cleaner and that should get rid of it and make the chrome pop once again. Maybe a little agitation with a soft brush or sponge might be necessary. Clean and rinse one wheel at a time, and rinse again (especially around the center cap). I have had good luck with the Mothers Wheel Mist Chrome/Wire, but likely any chrome-specific wheel cleaner will do (an all wheel cleaner likely won't cut it).

Follow with Mothers Chrome Polish for coat of protection.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:35 AM
Jim D.
Instructor

And dare I suggest there chrome is not glass smooth? It looks like there are some small cavities or pits that are chromed-over. I wonder if the chrome is not as thick as it could be. Look close and compare to the other wheels. Is the source reliable?

Try what I recommended above and see how they come out.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:11 AM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

Thanks Jim D. I'll give mothers a try.
when you say Is the source reliable? do you mean the quality of the wheels?
I did purchase them from the famous online auction and the company had excellent reviews. they still are online selling wheels, they specialize in OEM wheels, my wheels are TRIPLE PLATED, DOUBLE LAYER COPPER. I do not believe its pitting, as far being smooth, If I remember it was smooth, I'll have to double check.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:19 AM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

here's another pic that might help.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Jim D.
Instructor

Hard to tell from here, but I'm looking at what may be some "un-smooth" areas that are in the aluminum which is under the plating....

Old 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

I'll have to take a closer look.
Thanks again Jim D.

Originally Posted by Jim D.
Hard to tell from here, but I'm looking at what may be some "un-smooth" areas that are in the aluminum which is under the plating....

Old 04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Its does look like the start of pitting and can be from the process of chroming the wheel or something sitting on the finish too long like acid or even brake dust. I would first use a chrome specific wheel cleaner (try Griots, safe yet effective) and then a good chrome cleaner. If it doesnt remove it, and still under warranty you might wanna contact the manufacturer to discuss it further.

http://www.autogeek.net/griots-chrom...l-cleaner.html
and
http://www.autogeek.net/motchrompol.html
Old 04-19-2010, 03:02 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that is pitting (what the picture looks like) then I would avoid using a chrome specific cleaner as the metal under the chrome is likely exposed. You are far better off using a mild wheel cleaner if any.

It looks like it is pitting and the only way to fix it would be to have the wheels re-chromed. Have they been exposed to any harsh acids while still warm?
Old 04-19-2010, 03:55 PM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

Originally Posted by TH0001@properautocare.com
If that is pitting (what the picture looks like) then I would avoid using a chrome specific cleaner as the metal under the chrome is likely exposed. You are far better off using a mild wheel cleaner if any.

It looks like it is pitting and the only way to fix it would be to have the wheels re-chromed. Have they been exposed to any harsh acids while still warm?
WOW you guys think its the start of pitting.
only put on 4000 miles since I installed the wheels back in April of 2009.
I try to never take the car out when it rains but I was caught in a couple showers. I've also sent an e-mail and pics to the company I bought them from. I'm wondering what they will say.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:12 PM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1tmaxxer
WOW you guys think its the start of pitting.
only put on 4000 miles since I installed the wheels back in April of 2009.
I try to never take the car out when it rains but I was caught in a couple showers. I've also sent an e-mail and pics to the company I bought them from. I'm wondering what they will say.

It is hard to tell from the pictures, but that is what it looks like. Best case scenario would be some very light staining, but I would still be interested in what caused it. Please keep us informed on the mfg's recommendations.
Old 04-20-2010, 09:40 AM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

OK I took a closer look and the wheel is smooth.
what I believe you see in the photo below is the auto focus on my camera was trying to focus on the wheel and the same time trying to focus in on the trees in the backround so the trees came in a little blurry in the pic. I'm still waiting to here from the manufacturer, when I purchased the wheels last year I remember speaking to their rep about care instructions of the wheels and he suggested using only a good car soap to clean the wheels and then windex to shine them. He did not recommend using any wheels cleaners, he also said not to wax them either as most waxes contain liquid acid and would cause the chrome to rust. what mild wheel cleaner would you recommend?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:06 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[...not to wax them either as most waxes contain liquid acid ...]

Waxes contain oils, solvents and polymers, but not acid, as far as I'm aware.

P21s Wheel Cleaner is pH 7.5 and is safe for cleaning any type of wheel finish
Old 04-20-2010, 10:53 AM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

Originally Posted by TOGWT
[...not to wax them either as most waxes contain liquid acid ...]

Waxes contain oils, solvents and polymers, but not acid, as far as I'm aware.

P21s Wheel Cleaner is pH 7.5 and is safe for cleaning any type of wheel finish

Thanks TOGWT, I'll give P21s a try.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:05 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by 1tmaxxer
OK I took a closer look and the wheel is smooth.
what I believe you see in the photo below is the auto focus on my camera was trying to focus on the wheel and the same time trying to focus in on the trees in the backround so the trees came in a little blurry in the pic. I'm still waiting to here from the manufacturer, when I purchased the wheels last year I remember speaking to their rep about care instructions of the wheels and he suggested using only a good car soap to clean the wheels and then windex to shine them. He did not recommend using any wheels cleaners, he also said not to wax them either as most waxes contain liquid acid and would cause the chrome to rust. what mild wheel cleaner would you recommend?

Griots took alot of time and testing to design its chrome wheel cleaner. While it uses a citrus base its not the common acid design or Ammonium Bifluoride that alot of chrome wheel cleanerss are made from.

P21S is indeed however the safest wheel cleaner I have come across (as is Griots regular wheel cleaner --endorsed by Wheel Maker BBS) and I entrust both on my high dollar uncoated and forged wheels. I own, clean, and entrust these products on my Vette not just others ! (my 2002 Quicksilver ran Chrome Z06 Wheels for 3 years without issue)

http://www.autogeek.net/p2wheelclean.html

Chrome wheels are actually quite resilent to some chemicals, but as with any cleaner less is more. The problem with car soap as its often not strong enough to remove all brake dust (depending on pad composition) without alot of agitation. Thus offering a wheel sealant to protect and hopefully keep the brake dust off the metal surface long enough to be washed would be a benefit so you can use car soap mainly for cleaning. Many forum members here and on detailing forums have chrome wheels protected with these sealants without issue.

I do however hope the manufacturer comes thru for you under warranty, most pitting noticed early is often do to the process of chroming and not always the use of a bad product or chemical. Staining however "could" suggest a product or something splashed on wheels and sat for too long and thus a chrome polish might help to remove or lesson them and thus my other suggestion.

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 04-20-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:47 AM
1tmaxxer
Advanced

The P21s did not work.
a friend of mine suggested I try semichrome.
It worked and the wheels look brand new.

Get notified of new replies

To Help with crud on Chrome Wheels

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with crud on Chrome Wheels