Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Wiper marks on windshield

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:05 PM
greenc5
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wiper marks on windshield

The windshield on my C5 has wiper marks that I can't seem to get off. I tried the diamondite kit from Autogeek. Didn't touch them. They don't appear to be scratches but streak marks the size of the wiper path. Any ideas?
Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,251 Likes on 916 Posts

I had the same problem on a C-5 a few years ago. I tried everything that I could think of too. I wound up taking it to a glass shop where they polished almost all of the scratches out. Some were just too deep to remove. I think the cost was $85.00 about four years ago. If they can,'t be polished out the only other thing is to replace the windshield which can be expensive especially if you have a HUD in the car.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 PM
greenc5
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks, that was a quick response. $85 isn't bad, considering I paid over $60 for the kit. And I do have the HUD. Thanks again
Old 04-29-2010, 12:44 AM
Onyasix
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Z-12 plus Machine Polishing with Compound

About six months after I purchased my new '05, C6, I noticed a swiping scratch following the path of my windshield wiper on my passenger's side. The 18" long arched scratch was deep enough to feel with my finger nail. I spent about 2 hours hand polishing the scratch with Zaino's Z-12 Clear-View Glass Polish. It did not completely remove the scratch but did hide it to the point that it was noticeable unless under the right lighting.

About six months after finding the first scratch I noticed another similar scratch across the driver’s side. I did the same using Z-12 and the results were similar. Both scratches were in line with the windshield wiper’s blade bracket guides so I replaced the wipers with non-stock wipers. It has been over three years now and the problem has not reoccurred.

About a year ago I purchased a Flex orbital polisher and used it with glass polishing compound and removed most of the remaining scratches. The scratches are so light now that I can only see them very slightly under a strong flood light.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:38 PM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

We offer two Professional Glass Polishing Systems developed by Lake Country Mfg. Both kits require the use of a machine polisher (not included in the kit). The products in these kits can not be applied by hand and can not be applied with an electric drill. The only difference between the two kits is the backing plate. One kit is designed for use with a professional circular polisher and the other kit is designed to be used with a dual action machine like the Porter Cable 7424.

These kits contain:

* 4 oz. Glass Polish
* Two (2) Glass Polishing Discs
* Rain-X Final Sealant
* Sealant Foam Applicator
* Hook-and-Loop Backing Plate (select for Porter Cable 7424 or rotary polisher.

Angelo
www.ProperAutoCare.com
800-628-7596
Old 05-08-2010, 08:11 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I am sorry to hear that our Diamonite product did not work, many have used with exceptional results. It sounds like there may be hard mineral deposits or the wiper arm may have at some point come in contact with the glass (you should be able to feel this with your fingernail).

I might suggest pulling out your buffer and retry the kit using the power of the buffer versus hand. It usually makes a big difference in hard mineral spots specifically. I use our DP Glass Restorer in those instances, and former forum member Bugman did a great writeup on its use to remove hard water spots and minerals too.

If we can help , please call us, we want you to be satisfied with purchase and always consider us for future needs.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Steel Cities 1972
Heel & Toe

I have scratches on the pass. side windshield inside near the dash (about 6 inches up from the base of the windshield). It looks like something has been scraped off of the inside of the glass. Can any of the above products be used inside the car, it is kind of a tight spot? The scratches are fairly light, but are very noticeable if I look through that side of the window.

Get notified of new replies

To Wiper marks on windshield

Quick Reply: Wiper marks on windshield