Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

cleaning engine parts

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 07:41 AM
joesgulfstream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning engine parts

what is a good polish-cleaner for the engine parts like the altenator ,and other metal parts. I have used steel wool and polish but still not happy with results.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Because of the material they are made from, those parts never really look good no matter how clean you can get them.

I ended up masking off the areas around the alternator, throttle body and other "silver" parts and misting them with Dupli-Color Cast-Coat Aluminum. Not shiny at all. It makes the alternator look brand new.

When I say "misting", I mean that I didn't apply very much paint. Just enough to cover the discolored spots. That way it doesn't look painted.

Last edited by Luster; 06-18-2010 at 08:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2010, 09:05 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Flitz was at Detailfest and showed alot of promise for polishing metals with their polish. He suggested using it with Brass Wool (not steel wool) as something about the fibers in it. It does however take alot of work and patience.

Many companies offer powercoating, chroming, and even covers that also can be considered.

Get notified of new replies

To cleaning engine parts

Quick Reply: cleaning engine parts