Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Dark cars & spray wax?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:17 PM
Blew by you
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dark cars & spray wax?

Just tried to wax the wife's dark blue Ford Exploer today and i tried the Mcguire's, Turtle, Eagle one, Armor all, there all spray waxes! and i use microfiber towels and i still get alot of streaking, suggestions please.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:22 PM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Here are my suggestions/tips:

#1-When using a spray wax/detailer spray/waterless wash, if the car has not been taken care of in the past and has a rougher finish, has not been recently waxed or needs to be clayed, the results will not be as good.

#2-Make sure the cloth/microfiber is clean before using it for a spray wax. If you have anything else on it, it could cause problems.

#3-Pay attention to the temperature/humidity leval. If the spray wax dries to quickly, it'll streak. If it's really humid, it'll take longer to dry and need extra wiping.

#4-Don't get a dark colored vehicle.

#5--Don't use too much.

I'm no pro-just throwing some ideas out there.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:55 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Here's a trick I use at shows. After you do the spray thing, whether it be wax or QD, take a spray bottle with clean water and lightly spray down a section, removing it with a MF towel. Any streaking will disappear.

Good Luck
Old 06-28-2010, 11:03 PM
tlc0706
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

4-Don't get a dark colored vehicle.

This could get complicated.... Car Care Forum can help, but til then
:
Wash all that spray wax using Dawn
Probably need "claying"....Car care can explain that
Spray wax lightly and wipe quickly
Water spray was a good idea
Buff w/microfiber
Old 06-28-2010, 11:16 PM
Blue 92
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
CI 3-4, 8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10

Originally Posted by tlc0706
4-Don't get a dark colored vehicle.

Too late.

I'm using Turtle wax Black Box on mine. You use the included detailing spray while removing the liquid wax.

Hard to tell now but the entire front end and all four fenders behind the tires show the cars history as an autox and HPDE car.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:34 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,681 Likes on 1,303 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

There's a really nice car care section here on the forum!
Old 06-29-2010, 12:16 AM
91LSMAN
Le Mans Master

Received 412 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by jrose7004
There's a really nice car care section here on the forum!
And it's already been moved there......dun dun dunnnnnnnn
Old 06-29-2010, 08:14 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,578 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Especially with darker colors:

Try to avoid spray detailing in direct sunlight or when the surface of the car is warm or hot.

Don't get too greedy trying to cover a larger area than you can quickly buff.

Keep rapidly flipping the microfiber to the dry side to get it buffed off quickly.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

It could be a few thing's like; Washing your towels in a strong detergent, drying them with dryer sheets, using too much spray wax, the temperature/humidity could be the problem, poor quality towel. A number of factor's can play in that roll.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

I'll be the first to tell you, w/o mentioning the specific spray waxes your using its hard to determine what the issues might be.

Generally most spray waxes available at auto stores are not true stand alone spray waxes these are mainly designed to freshen an existing coat of wax, so when there isnt wax it just ends up streaking all over your paint.

Some stand alone spray waxes that you can buy locally are Duragloss aquawax, Meguiars Ultimate quick wax, Lucas Speed bead these will probably apply better and not streak.

Another issue is if your out in the sun you want to do smaller sections, i.e. divide your hood into six parts, and use very little dont try to saturate the whole area until its dripping.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:14 PM
0MikePhillips
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blew by you

there all spray waxes! and i use microfiber towels and i still get alot of streaking, suggestions please.
Streaking is for the most part just a sign of residue still on the surface, here's one trick that might help...

The Final Wipe – Tips for creating a streak-free, show car finish

Originally Posted by blackmachdown

Generally most spray waxes available at auto stores are not true stand alone spray waxes these are mainly designed to freshen an existing coat of wax, so when there isn't wax it just ends up streaking all over your paint.
I coined the term "Booster Wax" back in about 2002 or 2003 when working for Meguiar's to try to convey to people how "most" spray waxes are best used and that's to boost or refresh a previously applied coat of wax or paint sealant.

You are correct in that most spray waxes are not and should not be used as a "Stand Alone" or "Dedicated" wax product, some are however.

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
Another issue is if your out in the sun you want to do smaller sections, i.e. divide your hood into six parts, and use very little don't try to saturate the whole area until its dripping.
Correct and good advice...

Anytime you have to work in the sun or in warm temperatures it's a great idea to
  • Shrink the size of your work area down
  • Work in the early morning when it's going to be the coolest outside
Besides the above, I wrote two articles on how to use spray waxes, they are both in the "how to" forum on MOL.

The most important factor is the paint needs to be washed, clayed, and perfectly smooth and clean just like paint should be before using a "Finishing Wax" (or paint sealant).

Then, mist a little on to a small section, spread the product around using a clean, folded microfiber towel, then either turn to a dry side and wipe the residue off or allow the product to dry to a haze and then wipe-off using a clean, folded microfiber towel.

Spray waxes are easy to use if the paint is in "Excellent" condition to start with. If the paint needs any kind of claying, cleaning or polishing, or has not been regularly maintained or recently waxed then getting GREAT performance out of any spray wax will become more difficult.

Get notified of new replies

To Dark cars & spray wax?

Quick Reply: Dark cars & spray wax?