Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Sealant/Wax Application ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 05:33 PM
SlvrMN6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sealant/Wax Application ?'s

I'm looking for the longest lasting protection. Would 2 coats of sealant protect longer than one coat of sealant and one coat of wax?

Also, if I apply 1 coat of sealant today then drive the car for a few weeks... Do I need to clay the car again before putting on another coat?
Old 07-10-2010, 08:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

sealants generally offer longer protection (not necessarily better). There are some waxes like Collonite and Finishkare that defy that logic however.

with any product you want to follow manufacturers directions. If its a pure sealant allow 12-24 hours prior to topping with another layer. Waxes can be used as toppers over sealants and typically offer more wetness and depth, but should NOT be topped with sealant. So if you plan on adding a second layer of a sealant, dont top until done with layers of sealant. Do not clay inbetween but make sure finish is clean before adding layer if any appreciable time has passed (week, month)
Old 07-10-2010, 09:20 PM
mliebs
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 26 Posts

I just finished a second coat of Wolfgang 3.0 sealant about 15 minutes ago. I only waited 9 hours between coats because I wanted to put some Pinnacle on it tomorrow morning. The car looks killer right now, the paint looks really wet. How much of a difference would it make between 9 hours and 12 hours?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:24 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Two coats of Rejex topped if you wish with some Mequairs NXT 2.0 and you are good to go for a good 6 months, with one fine shine.
Old 07-11-2010, 06:59 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by mliebs
I just finished a second coat of Wolfgang 3.0 sealant about 15 minutes ago. I only waited 9 hours between coats because I wanted to put some Pinnacle on it tomorrow morning. The car looks killer right now, the paint looks really wet. How much of a difference would it make between 9 hours and 12 hours?
it depends on environment ... should not make all that much of a difference. Really want to stay outside of water contact as possible for at least 4-8 hours. 12-24 is optimum and why a general consensus.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvrMN6
I'm looking for the longest lasting protection. Would 2 coats of sealant protect longer than one coat of sealant and one coat of wax?

Also, if I apply 1 coat of sealant today then drive the car for a few weeks... Do I need to clay the car again before putting on another coat?
For long lasting protection the two products I use are Zaino Z2Pro and Blackfire Wet Diamond. Two coats will last for several months giving your paint very good protection, slickness, and shine. Water will bead like you won't believe!

How often you clay depends on several factors. If the car is outside 24/7, if it's a daily driver, if you have extreme wind or dust conditions, tree sap etc., you may want to clay a few times per year.

If it's a weekend garage queen, once a year claybar would probably be fine.

I like to apply a coat of Blackfire or Zaino every couple months, even though I know it lasts much longer than that. And I don't clay every time.

However, I do clay at least once a year. The car is not driven in winter, but If I get caught in a rain storm, no big deal.

Claybar will take most (if not all) of the sealant off your vehicle.

As far as the 2nd coat, I apply it immediately after the first with both products, with essentially no cure time in between.

I keep the paint slick between sealant applications, with Zaino Z8!!!
Old 07-24-2010, 04:18 PM
speedraider
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I swear by Wolfgang products, I polished and sealed both of our c6's and my grand cherokee about a year and a half ago and they all still bead like crazy, and both vettes get washed at least once a week and the grand cherokee probally twice a week. Awsome product.,
Old 07-25-2010, 09:29 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by speedraider
I swear by Wolfgang products, I polished and sealed both of our c6's and my grand cherokee about a year and a half ago and they all still bead like crazy, and both vettes get washed at least once a week and the grand cherokee probally twice a week. Awsome product.,
we appreciate the review ...and we try to offer the best value, best ingredients, and ultimately the best products. Wolfgang, Pinnacle, DP, and Diamonite are in house brands that we control and these reviews keep the products coming and getting better and better.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:18 AM
69/03vette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luster
For long lasting protection the two products I use are Zaino Z2Pro and Blackfire Wet Diamond. Two coats will last for several months giving your paint very good protection, slickness, and shine. Water will bead like you won't believe!

How often you clay depends on several factors. If the car is outside 24/7, if it's a daily driver, if you have extreme wind or dust conditions, tree sap etc., you may want to clay a few times per year.

If it's a weekend garage queen, once a year claybar would probably be fine.

I like to apply a coat of Blackfire or Zaino every couple months, even though I know it lasts much longer than that. And I don't clay every time.

However, I do clay at least once a year. The car is not driven in winter, but If I get caught in a rain storm, no big deal.

Claybar will take most (if not all) of the sealant off your vehicle.

As far as the 2nd coat, I apply it immediately after the first with both products, with essentially no cure time in between.

I keep the paint slick between sealant applications, with Zaino Z8!!!
Have you ever applied Blackfire Wet Diamond over top of Zaino Z2Pro?
I'm thinking of trying it on my 69 corvette. I buffed with Menzerna and topped with Z2 but instead of a second coat of Z2 was thinking of using BFWD
Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was going for extreme durability, I would use Wolfgang 3.0 topped with Finish Kare Hi Temp Paste.

Each one individually beat out dozens of waxes and sealants in a super test earlier this year, so combined they would likely be extraordinary.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=85205

I dont think they tried BFWD though, it might give Wolfgang a run for its money.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:20 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

We now carry Rejex which has long been considered some of the longest protection by the forum members here. I would add the Klasse Twins (AIO and SG) is still personally the longest protection I have seen. Adding a carnuaba topper to any is often more about looks than enhancing durability. There are spray hybrids and spray sealants that can also extend the length of protection and often quite quick and easy to use at any wash interval.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:47 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,259 Likes on 920 Posts

This weekend I clayed, polished with Menzerna, sealed with Wolfgang 3.0 and added a coat of Pinnacle sovereign carnuba on my '05 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has never looked better. This is the same process that I use on my Black C-6. I rely on the Geek for all my stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Sealant/Wax Application ?'s

Quick Reply: Sealant/Wax Application ?'s