Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

bug removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 11:12 PM
cadguymark
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bug removal

after trying numerous products, and "home remedy" techniques I am not happy with any of them, what have you found that you are happy with? Is it compatible with Zaino? if it is good for tar, so much the better, but I do not like using petroleum products

actually, the best I have found is to use citrus, then use claybar, but using claybar gets a little spendy and I'm not sure how citrus affects the Zaino, although certainly better than most I've tried

one of the better techniques I've found is to spray with Z6 and then place a paper towel over it to soften up, then use Z6 as normal to wipe it away, but that is time consuming and often the soak doesn't really do a whole lot for it, but at least it is Zaino compatible (obviously)

Last edited by cadguymark; 07-12-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 03:42 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

I wet a microfiber towel with warm water and wipe off the bugs. Rinse the towel often. Works better than any other chemical I ever tried.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Sleper
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You can buy cheap bug sponges (sponge wrapped with cheese cloth) that are guaranteed not to scratch. I find soaking the bugs well. Putting some bug remover (turtle wax or other brands) on the sponge and then rubbing work good. I always give a quick Zaino on the front right after My 0.02
Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 AM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Poorboys Bugsquash.... always keep some in a small travel size spray bottle with MF towel in rear compartment. Works equally well on wax and sealants ...

http://www.autogeek.net/poorboys-bug-squash.html

Last edited by Killrwheels@Autogeek; 08-02-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM
steve8
Race Director

Received 915 Likes on 451 Posts

Nothing better than stoners tarminator imo.
You will have to re-apply Z to the affected area.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:32 AM
MNR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have used RainX Bug and Tar Remover, its a pre-wash. Just spray the car, the spray the bug and tar on the bumper, and in all the wheelwells for all of you that like to do burnouts . Wait a few minutes, then go over it with some soap and a rag like you would normally wash a car and they come off effortlessly. It is so easy and efficient, honestly the best bug and tar remover I have ever used.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:01 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Griot's Bug Off! is an excellent product. These types of products are becoming more and more available on the market. Probably no bad ones...maybe some better than others, but probably only by degree.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 PM
McRCN
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Roughrider
Griot's Bug Off! is an excellent product. These types of products are becoming more and more available on the market. Probably no bad ones...maybe some better than others, but probably only by degree.
Actually, Bug Off! is supposed to applied to your bummer after detailing to provide a protective barrier. Then you can just rinse off the bug jerky without scrubbing.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Tarminator works great! But as stated above, you will need to re-apply your Zaino.

If you don't want to re-apply, here's a rather unconventional method that works.

Soak a beach towel with water.
Lay the towel over the bug-pummeled area (most likely front bumper, front of hood)

Run water over the beach towel to keep it soaked.

After 5 minutes, take off the towel and wash with car wash soap.

The bugs will be soft and wash right off.

If you want them off quick? Tarminator.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Bandicoot
Instructor

I use the AC Delco bug and tar remover......spray it on, leave it for a minute then wipes off easily. Not sure if the clear bra has anything to do with it also.
Old 07-21-2010, 04:46 PM
OGC5
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bugs?-Shout em out

Here in Florida we have Love Bug swarms every spring which can really be a mess and will degrade paint if left on. I have found that Mrs.OGC5s "Shout" laundry treatment works great as well as others that contain enzymes.

Enzyme digester cleaners are effective on organic stains like blood but the key is to give the enzymes time to digest the stain. I water down and spray the front of the car and let it set for a few minutes then wash with a good car soap, finish with spray wax. Cheap and it works, my C5 is 10 years old with 100k+ and the paint still looks 95%.
OGC5
Old 07-21-2010, 04:57 PM
OGC5
Drifting

Default Remove tar fast and cheap

Originally Posted by cadguymark
after trying numerous products, and "home remedy" techniques I am not happy with any of them, what have you found that you are happy with? Is it compatible with Zaino? if it is good for tar, so much the better, but I do not like using petroleum products

actually, the best I have found is to use citrus, then use claybar, but using claybar gets a little spendy and I'm not sure how citrus affects the Zaino, although certainly better than most I've tried

one of the better techniques I've found is to spray with Z6 and then place a paper towel over it to soften up, then use Z6 as normal to wipe it away, but that is time consuming and often the soak doesn't really do a whole lot for it, but at least it is Zaino compatible (obviously)

" but I do not like using petroleum products"
I hate using em too every time I fill up and see the bill!
I would not be too concerned, just use a little mineral spirits which will not hurt Factory paint. Finish off with car soap & water and a little one step spray wax. If you have a good base coat of wax (polish) little harm is done.
OGC5
Old 08-01-2010, 09:26 PM
WickedQuik
Drifting

WD 40 on a microfiber cloth and then reapply Zaino when finished.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:25 AM
allstar14
Instructor

Surf City Road Grime Destroyed.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:29 AM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,767 Likes on 969 Posts

You can take Z-7 Car Wash and put a little on a towel out of the bottle, this works to take off bugs, Z-6 works well too and you can not beat Tarminator.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:31 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 271 Likes on 233 Posts

Won't using the claybar remove everything (all protection that was put on prior) including Zaino which means you have to start the Zaino process all over again.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:36 PM
DriverC6
Pro

Originally Posted by BurningRubberC5
I have used RainX Bug and Tar Remover, its a pre-wash. Just spray the car, the spray the bug and tar on the bumper, and in all the wheelwells for all of you that like to do burnouts . Wait a few minutes, then go over it with some soap and a rag like you would normally wash a car and they come off effortlessly. It is so easy and efficient, honestly the best bug and tar remover I have ever used.
Does it remove the wax or sealant?

Get notified of new replies

To bug removal

Old 08-02-2010, 04:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverC6
Does it remove the wax or sealant?
Yes indeed, alot of these products work well and use some heavy solvents which can certainly remove waxes and paint sealants based on their design. Thats why I suggested the Poorboys Stuff ... Its safe on paint sealants and can be diluted as needed for most show car waxes while being designed specifically for bug removal. Most prewashes like P21S Total Wash also suggest they are sealant/wax friendly so make sure to read the directions.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:41 PM
RDN_C6
Heel & Toe

Default Bug removal

I mix a spray bottle 50% with Z-7 (car wash) & water. At the end of the day after long distant driving I spray the front bumper, leading edge of the hood and mirrors with the mixture. Let set for 5-10 minutes and spray with a hose. This removes 99% of the bugs without touching the paint and inducing scratching of the paint. A quick spritz of Z-8 puts the front end back in protective mode for the next days drive.

If no hose is available, I carefully wash off with a MF towel & clear water obtained from our hotel room in a folding canvas bucket.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:02 PM
hplacecf
Instructor

I have read many posts on many forums on this subject. Many interesting ideas presented.

What works for me is this:

I Use 3 coats of BlackFire Wet Diamond Paint All Finish Paint Protection (quite a mouthful ) on the front end. 2 coats on the rest of the body.

I use their Quick Detailer after washes. This helps keep it slick.

The sealant and QD makes it harder for the bugs to stick (for the most part). I then use any quick detailer to spray the remains well, let it soak a minute or two, and then use a microfiber towel to get off them off before they 'bake' on. Have to do it every day.

This has worked extremely well for me, and I have an artic white vette where you can see EVERY bug.

Quick Reply: bug removal