Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Vinegar on water spots

Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 AM
LostAngel
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Vinegar on water spots

I realized the other day that the water at my new place is VERY HARD and I have water spots BAD on my 2010 black grand sport. I heard to use a 50/50 white vinegar/water solution...and it works great. My question is, do I have to reapply my rejex after I use the vinegar solution?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you remove them?
Old 07-14-2010, 01:40 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Vinegar really only seems to work on fresh spots (ie new spotting). I have not noticed it stripping all of a paint sealant, but if spots are surely gone, wont hurt to readd a layer of protection like Rejex for protection and durability.

If you move to polishing, abrasive, it will indeed remove all the sealant and reapplication becomes required.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:32 PM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will remove the LSP, so if was me apply another coat on there. Make sure you got the water spot remove first.

Angelo
Email me at Angelo.g@properautocare.com
Toll Free 1-800-628-7596

Last edited by zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com; 07-16-2010 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:09 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vinegar has a PH between 2.3-3.0, which is plenty strong to remove waxes and sealants, IMO. I would reapply to be safe. Perhaps the best test would be to visually test the water beading of the surface to see if it has degraded from when you first applied it. If so then absolutely reapply!
Old 07-16-2010, 12:14 PM
LostAngel
Drifting

Well it removed some of them, but it appears even though they were only on for less than 24 hours, that I have either etching or maybe just spots where it went through the rejex...not sure. Going to try and strip all the wax, and rewax to see.

Is it still proper to clean the whole car with dawn soap to strip?
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Dawn soap really isnt needed in car care, and no proof it will remove all of a fully cured sealant anyhoo.

I would either strip with a paint cleansing lotion, polish with buffer or by hand, or consider wiping down area with alcohol to remove the Rejex (this make take a couple wipe downs).

Then measure the surface after washing to assure spots are gone, before reapplying the Rejex. Hopefully it was captured within the sealant level so to speak, and you wont have to remove etching from paint. It really depends on what was in the water that created the spots.

If you need help picking out a paint cleansing lotion, polish, or decontamination kit please let us know.
Old 07-16-2010, 03:59 PM
LostAngel
Drifting

I am hoping that the rejex caught it. These water spots were on for less than 24 hours.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:15 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by LostAngel
I am hoping that the rejex caught it. These water spots were on for less than 24 hours.
sometimes it comes down to just what was in the water and how fresh the protection was/is .... but the cool part is usually when you catch it quickly (like you did) you can repair it much easier. I little polish and a new coat of Rejex and you'll likely be good to go.

Get notified of new replies

To Vinegar on water spots

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vinegar on water spots