Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

My clay keeps sticking!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2010, 01:13 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Received 601 Likes on 221 Posts

Default My clay keeps sticking!

Last night I decided to wash my car thoroughly so I can clay and wax for today. I got my clay(Zaino) and my lube(ONR) and started on the car. At first i noticed that the clay was grabbing a lot. I keep spraying the lube and it would get better but it would still grab from every once in awhile. I'm using ONR in a spray bottle with water as the lube,being that this is what is currently recommended and people swear by it. I made sure to put a good amount of ONR into the bottle. The clay was leaving streaks that were annoying me so I didnt continue. I was not pressing too hard on the clay as I let the lube do it job. very light pressure. This is the first time this has happened to me. I was looking forward to claying and waxing as its been awhile. I had perfect weather outside and was bummed out I couldnt take advantage.

What do you think it could be? The clay? or the ONR? Just to let you know that I bought a Zaino kit 3 yrs ago and the clay that I used was a brand new bar in wrapper. Can the clay go bad over this time? I cant imagine so. Maybe the clay was too abrassive? Maybe I need a fine or medium clay?
Any recommendations?
Old 08-21-2010, 02:34 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

ONR is pretty lubricated and should work well with most clays. Did you do the baggie test first ?? Was the finish rough and could that have caused some of the grabbiness ?? Were you able to try another bar or mix in a little more ONR and see if it works better ??
Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

I only have that one bar. It was brand new in the wrapper. The surface of my car is VERY clean and not rough at all. There was no dirt that I could see on the clay after claying one panel. I have to try a different clay.
Old 08-21-2010, 06:13 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would also try Z-7 and water and just Z-6 and see if that doesn't help
Old 08-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by hb4lthr
I would also try Z-7 and water and just Z-6 and see if that doesn't help
I just tried the Z7 with the clay and it did nothing as far as removing any surface contaminants. The Z7 did lube better and I didnt get any grabbing, but after claying the roof I ran a plastic sandwich bag over the paint and I can still feel the bumps on the paint. I really think its the clay. I'm gonna try a different clay next week. Now I just have to order a new clay.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:24 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used to use Zaino exclusively, and ran into the same problem using the clay bar with ONR, it seemed to stick. ONR is a good clay lube and Zaino is a good (but mild) clay, I just never had them play well together.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:11 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Stingray23
I just tried the Z7 with the clay and it did nothing as far as removing any surface contaminants. The Z7 did lube better and I didnt get any grabbing, but after claying the roof I ran a plastic sandwich bag over the paint and I can still feel the bumps on the paint. I really think its the clay. I'm gonna try a different clay next week. Now I just have to order a new clay.

Please let us know if we can help you in choice, weve got several kits and sales going on too:

http://autogeek.net/clbaandlu.html
Old 08-22-2010, 02:38 PM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stingray23, if your still having problems then how bout try out another clay bar. Our Blackfire Poly Clay Bar system works perfect on any surface and it comes in a large container for storage. This kit is made up of these fines products:
* One 200g bar of PolyClay
* 16 oz. of Clay Lubricant
* Two (2) Microfiber
* Power Scrubber Cloths instructions.

A 200g bar will treat up to 20 vehicles!

And don't forget I'm at ProperAutoCare and always there to help all forum members out.

Angelo
Email me at Angelo.g@properautocare.com
Toll Free 1-800-628-7596 EXT 005

Become a PAC Fan on our Facebook Fan Page
PAC's Twitter Page

The Most Talk About Sealant In the World Blackfire Wet Diamond

Old 08-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zoomzoom [email
mazda5@properautocare.com[/email];1575088852]Stingray23, if your still having problems then how bout try out another clay bar. Our Blackfire Poly Clay Bar system works perfect on any surface and it comes in a large container for storage. This kit is made up of these fines products:
* One 200g bar of PolyClay
* 16 oz. of Clay Lubricant
* Two (2) Microfiber
* Power Scrubber Cloths instructions.

A 200g bar will treat up to 20 vehicles!

And don't forget I'm at ProperAutoCare and always there to help all forum members out.

Angelo
Email me at Angelo.g@properautocare.com
Toll Free 1-800-628-7596 EXT 005

Become a PAC Fan on our Facebook Fan Page
PAC's Twitter Page

The Most Talk About Sealant In the World Blackfire Wet Diamond

Just ordered this:
http://properautocare.com/blaccomkit.html
Old 08-23-2010, 10:15 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Thank you Stingray23, that is a awesome kit for the money, your Corvette will thank you!
Old 08-24-2010, 03:30 PM
FloydSummerOf68
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, 200g of clay is a nice chunk! lol
Old 08-27-2010, 08:58 PM
c5carney
Intermediate

I've experienced this in the past when using clay that was warm from being out in the heat or when claying on a hot day. I just run some cold water over the clay to cool it off a bit and that usually takes care of the problem. Hope this helps!
Old 08-27-2010, 09:49 PM
Stingray23
Le Mans Master

actually, the clay was stored in a closet and away from heat. And the temps on that day were a perfect 75 degrees. I dont know why it didnt work but I have this new kt coming in and I'll try again. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Old 08-28-2010, 01:00 PM
MTL_Z06
Advanced

I have the blackfire clay bar and it works great.
Keep it lubbed and it does not grab what so ever and it picks up contaminants very well.

I am very satisfied with this kit.

Mark
Old 08-28-2010, 04:15 PM
schizcat
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 121 Posts

depending on what you are going to do after you clay, i would use soapy water. you are really just trying to make sure the clay doesnt completly stick to the surface. most people wash again after the clay so soapy water is just wash off.
Here is what I did:
1) wash with dawn
2) clay
3) wash again (used turtle wax ice car soap)
4) polish
5) wax

next time I am going to polish, wax, polish, wax. unfortunatly it is hot this time of year in Texas so I dont feel like spending 6 hours in the heat. i am not a professional but this is what i found works. also, this was my first time claying so there could be a better process. im sure others will chime in and say that i am doing something wrong or i the wrong order...which i appreciate because it gives me more tips to do this better next time. I would do a little research on the forums before making a final decision. i read alot of posts over the past 2-3 weeks to get ideas.

Get notified of new replies

To My clay keeps sticking!

Quick Reply: My clay keeps sticking!