Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 07:52 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's gets really annoying here when people ask about alternative product and keep getting the same answers. Zaino Zaino Zaino.
I am a Zaino user and it bugs me...

I am not pleased with Zaino on a Black Car. I have done side by side tests on the same paint with Maguires and Z. Maguires is Blacker, Wetter, And Deeper Period.
Don't care how long it lasts. I polish every few weeks anyway.

It is a great product but it can't cure Cancer.

[Modified by chuckster, 1:39 PM 4/15/2002]

Chuck, there are several black cars in my driveway everyday, they are all using Zaino, and these cars look so good I almost want to buy a black car, if it is not working on your car it maybe in the application, you should call Sal and talk to him, maybe he can help you get what your looking for.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carl, I value your advice. However. I really believe I have the Zaino nack down pat. I know there is not an issue how it's being applied. I always come out with a perfect finish but it's Just the final look I just don't care for.

It's a simple look I don't get with Zaino. The shine is there, but not the deep black color. The Black in the sun almost gets washed out to a dark charcoal. Not like someone melted a black crayon on the finish..

If I put the car in the sun after doing a patch of Z2 or Z5 it does not matter... IT's VERY shiny. But not like liquid black. If I use Maguires or even F*rmula 1-1-3. The Black has a dripping black look to it. I am sure it has to do with the oils...

One way to test this is to dip your finger in ArmorAll and rub a little on the paint. See what it does... Too bad the whole car would not come out like this.

I love Zaino on any other color but Black. Black is a very unforgiving color. Especially in the sun. But most Zaino users refuse to see the difference. It's not an imaginary difference. IT's real.

Again I am not comparing for uv protection or long lasting or even ease of use.( Which I consider Zaino VERY easy to use). I want perfect paint.

Old 04-15-2002, 08:23 PM
Kale
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car? (chuckster)

Looks great on black c4's to me. Maybe it's just the c5's paint. :confused:
Old 04-15-2002, 08:48 PM
MBVette
Race Director

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car? (Kale)

so how many posts do we need today about you not liking Zaino?
Old 04-15-2002, 09:47 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car? (MBVette)

Maybe because I finally woke from my "cherry scent induced" trance and realized there might be better products out there for me and wanted to discuss them openly.

Look at this forum. Every other post is about Zaino. I like the product I use it on my White PAthfinder. But on Black it does not make me happy. This is the Care Care furum last time I checked. Not the Zaino froum like I suggested.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I just want the truth... not that crap that everyone spouts when asked... It' optically pure... yada yada yada. If it's really optically pure and the layers atually build on the other. Then Prove it.

You can dyno an engine but you can't prove any of the clains Zaino makes. I use it on my White car caus I like the results Period. I don't like the results on my Black car so I am looking for an alternative. :)
Old 04-15-2002, 09:54 PM
hcvone
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,766 Likes on 969 Posts

Default Re: Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car? (chuckster)

Maybe because I finally woke from my "cherry scent induced" trance and realized there might be better products out there for me and wanted to discuss them openly.

Look at this forum. Every other post is about Zaino. I like the product I use it on my White PAthfinder. But on Black it does not make me happy. This is the Care Care furum last time I checked. Not the Zaino froum like I suggested.

Sorry if I offended anyone. I just want the truth... not that crap that everyone spouts when asked... It' optically pure... yada yada yada. If it's really optically pure and the layers atually build on the other. Then Prove it.

You can dyno an engine but you can't prove any of the clains Zaino makes. I use it on my White car caus I like the results Period. I don't like the results on my Black car so I am looking for an alternative. :)

Chuck, what claims does Zaino make? Most if not all the starting posts here are from Zaino users, not people that sell Zaino, and it's not just this Forum, it's F-Bodys, Vipers, BMW's, NSX's, people seem to like the product, if you do not like how it looks on your car, that's fine, but I will tell you that many people that started using P21S and been back buying Zaino, good luck with whatever product you use, I am sure these people on the Forum can not be all brainwashed. ;)
Old 04-15-2002, 10:12 PM
GARYIAN
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also have a black car. I have been using Zaino. It is certainly easy to use. Up to this point I have happy with it, but I,m always willing to try something else to get that super shine. What Meguiar's are you using. There are like a million of them. :flag
Old 04-15-2002, 11:09 PM
chuckster
Race Director

Default Re: Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car? (GARYIAN)

I also have a black car. I have been using Zaino. It is certainly easy to use. Up to this point I have happy with it, but I,m always willing to try something else to get that super shine. What Meguiar's are you using. There are like a million of them. :flag
Have not used anything on the car but Zaino. I have used Meguires Cleaner/Wax in the past. and that is what I used to do the comparison test.

Who knows...Maybe the Black paint on a C5 does suck. All I know is I parked next to a Black Jetta and his paint made mine look pathetic. My car is practically a Garage queen, there is no excuse for this. I HAVE to try something. :confused:
Old 04-15-2002, 11:38 PM
Dave95C4
Pro

Who knows...Maybe the Black paint on a C5 does suck. All I know is I parked next to a Black Jetta and his paint made mine look pathetic. My car is practically a Garage queen, there is no excuse for this. I HAVE to try something. :confused:
You could try coating the car in Crisco. :D Kidding...it's your car, just put whatever on it makes you happy and then go with it. Polishes are like opinions, everyone has their own...and each is a matter of preference.

DW
Old 04-16-2002, 01:16 AM
Mystic '95
Race Director

Cruise-In II Veteran

Man That is weird! I've used Meguires for years and I thought it was great until I came across Zaino! My vette is black also and A couple weeks or so ago, I made a post about a guy in a new black Mercedes saying "that's the blackest black I've ever seen". I was parked next to his 'German black' and he also told me that he had waxed it a week before, it didn't compare with my 7 year old finish...

I'm not certain what happened or why Zaino is not pleasing you but I might guess that you 'didn't' go by the book, if you did, my mistake but please be honest with yourself..

That wetness that you say you now have is probably just that, it's carnuba and it stays wet! problem is, it's also a dust magnet..

Anyway, to each his own, can't win 'em all..

Peace! Enjoy your shine! I know I enjoy mine...

Vinny
Old 04-16-2002, 03:06 AM
KLO
Safety Car

I really do not know what is wrong, my black hood looks like a lake it is so deep, since Zaino is the only product out that that will layer, a few coats in a row makes a difference. Actually, the reason it can layer is the reason I am a distributor to this day, as you see, when I first ordered Zaino years ago I used it wrong was wondering what was so great about it (I did not know about the layering then as I was just a common wax user back then and I knew wax only looked as good as its gonna get with one coat) so I called Sal Zaino on the phone, he told me to put a second coat on my black car after 24 hours, I did so in my shop under my shop lights and I was COMPLETELY floored, the second coat was so unlike the first coat I could not believe it. I know had the liquid lake look I wanted but with no oiled up sheen. I had waxed and detailed cars for 15 years and NEVER saw a product that did exactly what it was advertised, Sal told me it would and I was impressed. I called him back and told him I wanted to work for his company, true story.
Old 04-16-2002, 06:45 AM
Shadow
Instructor

I am not pleased with Zaino on a Black Car. I have done side by side tests on the same paint with Maguires and Z. Maguires is Blacker, Wetter, And Deeper Period.
Don't care how long it lasts. I polish every few weeks anyway.
Chuckster,

You're not the only one who feels this way. I've heard other owners of dark colored cars comment that the polymer protectants (like Zaino and Klasse) give the car a "sterile" look. The finish has plenty of gloss but seems to lack depth & warmth.

The alternative is to change to a regimen of using a high quality carnuba like P21S, Pinnacle Souveran or One Grand Blitz. They don't have the durability of the polymers but produce warm, glossy finishes. They also don't fill minor scratches, so you'll have to do more paint preparation with a glaze or swirl mark remover.

There's lots of good information about all this stuff at www.autopia-carport.com. The forum seems to have a good balance of Zaino users, Klasse fanatics and waxers.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:23 PM
Andy1983
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have done side by side tests on the same paint with Maguires and Z. Maguires is Blacker, Wetter, And Deeper Period.
Have not used anything on the car but Zaino.
:confused: I'm confused. Which one is it?
Old 04-16-2002, 10:38 PM
fourthrail
Instructor

Makes my black C4 look sweet... :cool:

Did you use Z2 or just Z5? Black seems to have better results with just the Z5/ZFX application, and skipping the Z2.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:34 AM
ThumbsUp
Instructor

Default Re: Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car? (fourthrail)

I posted the same concern about the "sterile" look of Zaino on black well over a month ago. It generated lots of postings on this forum. I went on that search for the holy grail, but it was a post from a fellow forum member that proved to be the answer.

Use Zaino Z5, and only Z5, in VERY thin coats. After buff out, wash the car with Zaino car wash. This is the hot ticket to shine, depth, warmth, nirvana!

[Modified by ThumbsUp, 9:35 AM 4/17/2002]
Old 04-17-2002, 11:43 AM
Dave95C4
Pro

Default Re: Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car? (ThumbsUp)

I was trying to refrain from posting this, but I've given up. :) I just don't think a Meguiar's car can do this. BTW, this is ZFX+Z2 on a base coat of Z5:

[Modified by Dave95C4, 11:53 AM 4/17/2002]

Get notified of new replies

To Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car?

Quick Reply: Is it me or does Zaino lack Wetness and Depth on a Black car?