Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

trying turtle wax black box this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 09:56 PM
lilypadsdad
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trying turtle wax black box this weekend

i'm not looking for a miracle, but i have read a lot of good reviews on the turtle wax black box. let's see how it does on my black 02z. any tips from anyone that has used it before?
Old 04-07-2011, 07:56 AM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

As I would say the problem with a product like this is its more of a filler type of product. Essentially you're just masking your finish and after a few washes or some heavy rain you're back to square one again. Don't get me wrong it looks good, but won't last and one has wasted a 1/2 day or more of their time on it.

The proper way to correct a finish is to properly remove the defects on the surface not hide them. 95% or more of any good detailing job on a vehicle surface is in the prep work you do, this is why sometimes the afters with this product or any other OTC product don't have the depth, clarity, or WOW factor you'd see with a corrected finish where the surface was properly prepped, corrected, and finished.

ProperAutoCare has been in leader in this area for many years and have the right products to achieve the look you are looking for with our flagship product BLACKFIRE Car Care Product.

http://www.properautocare.com/blackfire.html
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I also just bought the Turtle Wax kit for my black '04 Coupe. I'm anxious to hear about results or tips, so I'll be listening here carefully.

The previous owner of my car used orbital buffer and maybe it had dust in it or something, but the finish is simply millions of swirly scratches. You can't notice until you get right up on the car on a bright sunny day. I am hoping the Turtle Wax product will fill them in a little.

I like black, but I gotta say - I am not buying any more black cars!

-
Old 04-21-2011, 03:13 PM
lilypadsdad
Cruising

Originally Posted by Chevy-SS
I also just bought the Turtle Wax kit for my black '04 Coupe. I'm anxious to hear about results or tips, so I'll be listening here carefully.

The previous owner of my car used orbital buffer and maybe it had dust in it or something, but the finish is simply millions of swirly scratches. You can't notice until you get right up on the car on a bright sunny day. I am hoping the Turtle Wax product will fill them in a little.

-
does it look awesome? yes.

does it make all of those swirls and scratches go away? no.

is it worth it? yes.

i am very impressed with how my car turned out. it is not that much of a pain to apply, just make sure not to put too much of the wax or pre-cleaner on your applicator pad. if you put it on too thick, it will be a hard to remove. also, plan on ruining several microfiber towels. i think i went through 10 of them. this stuff looks like ink.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:32 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used it on my black 04 cause I had a lot of little white scratches, marks on the rockers and the front. Black Box took almost ALL of them out and that was June last year. It still looks great.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:33 AM
lilypadsdad
Cruising

convinced my dad to give the black box a try. it looked good before, but wow does it look good now.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:36 AM
lilypadsdad
Cruising

Old 05-20-2011, 06:42 AM
mvcrash
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

-
Black looks the best when cleaned and waxed. But in between....
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM
lilypadsdad
Cruising

Originally Posted by mvcrash
Black looks the best when cleaned and waxed. But in between....
in between washes i use the turtle wax black detail spray. you get 2 small bottles of it when you buy the black box. makes it look like you just waxed it.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:52 AM
Chevy-SS
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How are you guys applying this stuff?

I did my hood (a lot of work, whew), following the directions, but it seemed odd. I used the pre-cleaner and let dry to a haze, then I wiped off using numerous microfiber towels and the detail spray. But it kinda seemed like a bigger mess than necessary.

Then, on the final wax step, it was the same - wax on with applicator, then use spray and towels to polish.

It almost seems like the spray should be used first (or last) but not together with the cleaner/wax.

Are you supposed to wipe off the haze with towels and THEN spray, or do you use spray to clean the haze? Am I missing something?

Thanks
Old 05-24-2011, 07:38 PM
lilypadsdad
Cruising

How are you guys applying this stuff?

I did my hood (a lot of work, whew), following the directions, but it seemed odd. I used the pre-cleaner and let dry to a haze, then I wiped off using numerous microfiber towels and the detail spray. But it kinda seemed like a bigger mess than necessary.

Then, on the final wax step, it was the same - wax on with applicator, then use spray and towels to polish.

It almost seems like the spray should be used first (or last) but not together with the cleaner/wax.

Are you supposed to wipe off the haze with towels and THEN spray, or do you use spray to clean the haze? Am I missing something?

Thanks
that is how i applied it. i had a problem removing that stuff too on the first area that i did, so i didnt put it on as thick for the rest of the car and it came right off.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:29 AM
jdot
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My last BB treatment will be a year old next month and it still looks really good. The only problem is that it doesn't repel dust and that's something we all have to deal with on a black car. I'll probably reapply BB in the next few weeks just for the shine of it.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:35 PM
2004c5blackcoupe
Instructor

Just tried Turtle Wax Black Box polish and was very pleased with results.
I don't drive in the rain and only use Mothers Showtime instant detailer or
Meguiars Ultimate Quick Detailer with microfiber to dust.
Black Box is a two step process:
First use Pre Wax Cleaner, let haze, then mist Black Spray Detailer over haze and remove with microfiber towel.
Second step is to use Black Carnauba Blend Wax, let haze, mist with spray and then remove.
I then used a microfiber bonnet with my Porter Cable buffer to finish to a high polish.
Once again, easy to use and I was very happy with results.
$19.99 at Pep Boys
I also like Turtle Was Ice liquid synthetic polish as well.
No I don't work for Turtle Wax lol.

Get notified of new replies

To trying turtle wax black box this weekend

Quick Reply: trying turtle wax black box this weekend