Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polish v. wax question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 AM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Default Polish v. wax question

I have numerous coats of Zaino and Rejex on my car, and I am very tempted to top it off with a coat of good carnuba wax. My question is: Can I apply a polymer polish over the wax at some later time, or will the wax have to be stripped off for the polish to bond properly?
Old 05-11-2011, 10:51 AM
0TH0001@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
I have numerous coats of Zaino and Rejex on my car, and I am very tempted to top it off with a coat of good carnuba wax. My question is: Can I apply a polymer polish over the wax at some later time, or will the wax have to be stripped off for the polish to bond properly?
Assuming you mean 'sealant' instead of polymer polish (polishing being the marketing term that means the same thing).

It really depends on which carnauba wax you use. Some carnauba waxes are going to have a short life cycle, so provided you wait until its gone, you won't have any problems.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:25 PM
0zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com
Former Vendor

zoomzoom mazda5@properautocare.com's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agreed with Todd on this one.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:07 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthBaySurfer
The products you have listed are actually sealants (synthetic waxes) and can indeed be topped with a pure carnauba wax as desired. (A cleaner wax will remove some/all the sealant so make sure it does not contain polishes or cleaners). Once this is done you can keep the top level, carnauba, up with any number of spray waxes. You dont however want to go back to a sealant without properly polishing or cleaning all the layers off.

Polish -- Abrasive paste used to correct and polish paint. It helps to remove marring and swirls and prep for the sealant or wax of choice.

Cleaner -- A product using chemicals to clean paint and remove old waxes and sealants and prep for protection. Best used on paint in good shape.

Sealant -- A synthetic wax , these products can also have polishing and cleaning agents or just pure protection. Rejex is a pure sealant.

Waxes -- These products are often carnauba based and can also contain cleaning and polishing agents.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:14 PM
SouthBaySurfer
Burning Brakes

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts

Thanks for your replies; you've answered my question.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:38 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

What I use on our Vette after the Wolfgang Sealer is Wolfgang Fuzion Wax for a better shine and I do this monthly
Old 05-12-2011, 03:45 PM
chasboland
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
What I use on our Vette after the Wolfgang Sealer is Wolfgang Fuzion Wax for a better shine and I do this monthly
I cant believe there can be a better shine after the wolfgang sealant. The fuzion is better in your opinion? wow, i need to see the difference.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by chasboland
I cant believe there can be a better shine after the wolfgang sealant. The fuzion is better in your opinion? wow, i need to see the difference.
Fuzion is a hybrid wax with some traditional wax properties and the best European polymers. Its a tremendous wax and looks equally good, perhaps a bit wetter, than the sealant which made Wolfgang a recognized brand name.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:10 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No offense meant Scott but I love the marketing - "European polymers" or "German Engineered polymers". I could describe the polymers I formulate as European but made in USA

A polymer is a synthetic chemical, chemical Science has no political boundries

Last edited by TOGWT; 05-13-2011 at 07:14 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Polish v. wax question

Quick Reply: Polish v. wax question