Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Suggestions For Black

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 01:26 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Suggestions For Black

Looking to get the black so wet and black it makes Crayon jealous. I'm talking about the deepest, blackest, wettest, swimming around in a black hole of oblivion black while drowning in water black. A black soooo black that black pales in comparison.

Now that you know what I'm looking for, any suggestions? I know most will say use a DA however I don't have one of those right now so all is done by hand. I DO have minor imperfections as well as a few scratches that will NEVER come out and I have some water etching. I know it will never be perfect again but, what can I get over the counter and use in what order, to achieve close to my goal?

Currently I have clayed the car and started to use Megs Ultimate Polish. I have heard to use a glaze after this and then follow with a good wax. I have Pinnacle Sovereign here at the house, a good shady garage, a lot of fans, and nothing to do this weekend.

Thanks for any and all responses. Ill post a few reference pics in a few minutes.

Last edited by Slow Z06; 07-15-2011 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:34 PM
hb4lthr
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Your opening paragraph states that you have high expectations to create a show car shine. You also indicate that you do not own a polisher and that you wish to use OTC products. To me, these are conflicting goals.

After looking at your paint, I would definitely invest in a dual action polisher such as a Porter Cable or Flex. The swilrs need to be corrected rather than covered temporarily using a glaze. Once your finish is swirl free then you can use a quality wax/sealant to protect your paint.

Process including surface prep is more important than products. You can apply the best carnuba wax or sealant on your paint but it will not look as good compared to a properly prepped surface using an OTC LSP.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

I realize I wont achieve what I want without a DA, but are there any products that can get me closer OTC? I have a weekend to do stuff, I dont want to wait a week for things to ship then try to plan out another weekend to do things. If not, then I guess I will suffer the wait.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:37 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I highly suggest reconsidering a buffer (rotary or orbital) and an assortment of polishes and pads. If not you are going to see very little results and need alot of time and patience. The best show finishes require alot of time, skill, and the proper assortment of products.

Your pictures show some etching, marring, and spiderwebbing. These can be removed via polishing. Polishing will also amp up the reflection and gloss to the levels desired. Take some time and study these as applicable:

http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html
Old 07-15-2011, 09:41 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Thanks, yea after talking with some over at your site, Im just going to hold off and get a PC and some Menzerna products. Ill just find another part of the car to clean this weekend...LOL
Old 07-15-2011, 10:03 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Slow Z06
Thanks, yea after talking with some over at your site, Im just going to hold off and get a PC and some Menzerna products. Ill just find another part of the car to clean this weekend...LOL
thats a great idea. Each area of car care has alot of attention to detail and most need no heavy expenses , just some time and care. Let us know if we can help.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:17 PM
FirethornC5
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just detailed a Black car using Menzerna compound/polishes and finished with Mequiars #26 using a PC with the proper uber pads. Looks amazing!

1st: Menzerna Power Gloss Compound to remove any swirls or haze.
2nd: Menzerna Power Finish which is a medium polish
3rd: Menzerna Super Finish as a final polish
4th: I chose to use Mequiars #26 - High Tech Yellow Wax because this is recommended for dark colors.
You could also use Menzerna Power Lock (Polymer Sealant)

A wax will show a deeper gloss, but doesn't last as long as a polymer sealant. However a polymer sealant shine will last longer when compared to a wax but supposedly doesn't show as deep a gloss as a wax.

Just my .02
Old 07-15-2011, 11:43 PM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Well I just pulled the trigger and got the PC 7424XP, a 6pack of LC 5.5 flat pads, the 5in hook and loop backing plate and the Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle.

Let the waiting begin
Old 07-15-2011, 11:49 PM
FirethornC5
Instructor

Well I just pulled the trigger and got the PC 7424XP, a 6pack of LC 5.5 flat pads, the 5in hook and loop backing plate and the Menzerna Power Gloss, Power Finish & Super Finish Bundle.

Let the waiting begin
All good stuff! Worth the wait!

When you wash your Vette after getting all the swirls out use the two bucket method with grates (one soap and one water). Autogeek has the grates too. Also use a microfiber wash mitt and I dry with a Jelly Blade the finish dry with microfiber.

The best way not to get swirls is to prevent them in the first place by proper washing.

Last edited by FirethornC5; 07-15-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Im pretty sure I know how the washing works but can ya refresh my memory on the 2 bucket. Wash then rinse mit then soap and wash next panel?
Old 07-16-2011, 12:08 AM
FirethornC5
Instructor

Im pretty sure I know how the washing works but can ya refresh my memory on the 2 bucket. Wash then rinse mit then soap and wash next panel?
I just never return the "dirty" mitt to the wash bucket before I spray it, rinse it and ring it out in the water bucket. I also never refill any bucket by spraying water back into it thus causing the dirt to circulate from the bottom.

I probably go through 2 wash and rinse buckets per car wash, depending on the size of the car/truck I wash sometimes 3.

The Menzerna products will take the swirls and haze out. Some products out there just fill in the swirls and after a few washes the swirls come back. This will not happen with Menzerna.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Slow Z06
Le Mans Master

Good deal. Thanks!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:28 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Let the waiting begin
it will be worth the extra $$ and time to get it to ya ... one impressive combo.

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions For Black

Quick Reply: Suggestions For Black