Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Scratch Removal?

Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratch Removal?

Today a dog jumped on the vette. I am curious what a good scratch remover is. It isn't into the paint, but certainly a pretty bad scratch. You can feel it with your nail.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:27 PM
goober51
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, the friggin' cat next door scratched my hood..I am interested to find out also
Old 07-26-2011, 10:47 PM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

That sucks, last year there was a dog or car on the hood.
They aren't very deep, and can barely feel them with my nail.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:14 PM
BLK281
Racer

Good news and bad news.

Good news is the scratch will come out...bad news is you won't do it without a buffer.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:56 PM
diablojota
Instructor

Wetsanding it will most likely remove most of the scratch. However, I would suggest trying it with some Meguiars 105 on a yellow or orange pad at high speed with your DA buffer. This will make it look far less visible. However, even with wet sanding, it may not get rid of it altogether, and a respray will be the only fix.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:05 AM
duramaxsky
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I did one like that backing my truck with the hood up. Hit the garage door opener connector. It came out with careful wet sanding and my DA with Adams products. I know where it is and can find it with a light but others who saw it unpaired can not find it. If its not through the clear you may be able to fix it.
Old 07-27-2011, 12:24 AM
shank0668
Burning Brakes

Sadly I do not have a buffer, this is all I have. http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
I have a friend with some sort of buffer, Ill have to ask him about it, not sure if it is like what I have or a real one.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:20 AM
diablojota
Instructor

You may want to find a local detailer of some repute. They will have the appropriate tools to solve this. If they aren't very deep a good compound will probably be enough and follow that up with polish. I'm not familiar with your equipment, so I can't say if it would be safe to use with the proper pads.
Old 07-27-2011, 06:32 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deep Scratches

A surface scratch that will `catch' your fingernail is approximately 0.04 Mil (1.0 µ) deep will usually require wet sanding (you should sand the scratch to bare metal because the device that caused this scratch was probably used with enough pressure to damage both the paint and the primer) and the clear coat refinishing

Removing a scratch requires removing the layer of paint that contains the defect; you need to level the paint to the lowest point of the scratch. Removing more that 0.5 mil (12µ) of clear coat will cause premature paint film failure as UV protection percolates to the top of the clear coat. Check paint film thickness with a Paint Thickness Meter (PTG) before you attempt to remove

As you go over a deep scratch, the abrasives round off the edges of the high spots of the scratch. The result is a shallower scratch (when no full correction can be made) rounded edges don’t reflect light the same way a sharp edge will and is therefore less noticeable.

It may be necessary to carry out some localized wet sanding to facilitate full removal of any deep scratches, once again, paint thickness must be checked, and if the paint is too thin wet sanding is NOT an option.

Once you have levelled the scratch apply paint in ‘layers’, by applying a coat of paint and then allowing it to dry, apply paint, and etc. Apply paint until it’s higher than the surrounding surface and then polish level.

Note: metallic paint is very difficult to match as the flakes won’t ‘lay down’ like OEM applied paint.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:44 PM
wysiwyg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had success using m105 by hand to remove scratches.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:27 AM
xsalvioutlawx
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That does not look bad. I had a few of those scratches that I buffed out with some polish and a buffer.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

http://www.autogeek.net/dual-action-polisher.html

Get notified of new replies

To Scratch Removal?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Scratch Removal?