Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

How do u clean ur interior carpeting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 01:47 AM
vickvette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How do u clean ur interior carpeting?

The shampooing really doesn't do the job. I was thinking about getting it steam cleaned but after a day spent calling the car washes I can't find one in L.A. with a steam cleaner. I'll be installing the heat insulation in my car and was thinking if the carpeting is out, why not clean it. I'd like to steam clean it but somehow can't find the place with one. How on the heck do dealerships clean the interiors? Any ideas what would work the best?
Old 09-01-2011, 03:29 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Shoot me a pm I have a guy that will make it perfect, does mine every few months. Im a few miles from you.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:12 AM
flyeri
Drifting

Received 118 Likes on 103 Posts

Four years ago I bought a 95 Toyota for my 16 yr old daughter. I don't think the carpet, seats, or engine had ever been cleaned. I vacuumed all the loose dirt. Then I used a Hoover carpet cleaner that had a hose and attachment for steps and upholstry. The carpet cleaning solution did a pretty good job but still did not get the years of spilled coffee, Coke, and stains embeded from wet shoes. I finally resorted to using a cleaner like Simple Green. I sprayed (soaked) the stained areas and used the Hoover to vacuum the dirty cleaner out. I used it on seats, carpet, and even the headliner. It cleaned it all and removed the old car smell that comes from all the acccumulated dirt. A wet/dry shop vac would work too.

If you have the carpet out a pressure washer can be used. Spray with cleaner, scrub any stains and foot well areas, and pressure wash it out. Sounds harsh but it works great. Just keep a little distance with the wand.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,233 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Actually I just use Woolite foam carpet cleaner on mine and it keeps them looking like new - but I also use a heavy duty rubber floor mat over the stock mats to help keep it clean. Plus I try not to drive the car when the weather is bad.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:42 PM
DaveVY
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past I would use soap type of products and had good success with a few of them. The challenging part was to remove the soap from the carpet, otherwise the soap would trap and hold dirt afterwards and the carpet would get dirty very quickly again. It took using an extractor to thoroughly flush the soap out and then allowing the carpet to dry for a LONGGG time.

I am now having great success using Adam's Carpet and Upholstery Cleaner. It doesn't suds up but effectively cleans the carpets and I just have to blot the carpet dry with towels. I get rid of coffee stains, soda stains, grease, makeup residue, etc. For really bad areas an extractor can help make it a bit easier and quicker.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Anyone local have an extractor ???

Folex works well and can be found locally at most stores
Old 09-02-2011, 04:20 AM
TOGWT
Melting Slicks

Location: Ponte Vedra Beach / London State: Dazed and confused
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carpet Cleaning - http://www.autopia.org/forum/guide-d...ning-care.html
Old 09-03-2011, 02:23 AM
vickvette
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you guys for the info, will clean sometimes next week or the week after - all depends from work and "free" time :-)

Get notified of new replies

To How do u clean ur interior carpeting?

Quick Reply: How do u clean ur interior carpeting?