Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

California Duster - Leaving Residue and Streaks

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:42 AM
dougj1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default California Duster - Leaving Residue and Streaks

I just got my California duster in the mail from Autogeek and within the first pass on my C6, the duster was leaving behind a film. Yes it removed the dust but it was leaving behind something. The only way for me to remove the streaks were to buff them off with a microfiber towel. I really want this product to work as I don't drive my vette everyday and it gets dusty sitting in the garage.

Was I supposed to wash or rinse the duster before first use? It didnt come with instructions but this should not be rocket science to dust a car.
Old 09-30-2011, 05:17 PM
dklowrider
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have done the newspaper wrap several times and even use newspaper to lay it on when not in use and i still get streaks and smudges here and there. sometimes i think you pick up a little oily grime from the lower part of the body and then transfer it to the upper parts next time you use it.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:35 PM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,551 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Humidity also causes them to streak as they will pick up moisture from the atmosphere. I periodically set my older Dusters on newspapers (just as I would a new one), especially in high humidity. It helps alot.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

As offered the strands on the Cali Duster are coated with paraffin wax. It is suggested to allow a new one to sit on a newspaper for several days before use. If any streaking is noted, often times a damp towel will remove it and certainly a rewash as needed. (or perhaps a quick wipe with a rinseless wash product).
Old 10-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
As offered the strands on the Cali Duster are coated with paraffin wax. It is suggested to allow a new one to sit on a newspaper for several days before use. If any streaking is noted, often times a damp towel will remove it and certainly a rewash as needed. (or perhaps a quick wipe with a rinseless wash product).
If any streaking is noted, often times a damp towel will remove it and certainly a rewash as needed. (or perhaps a quick wipe with a rinseless wash product).[/QUOTE]

But the idea is the duster should not make things worse and require a micro fiber toweling or wash. I have used them many times and some have little to no wax and just push the dust around while others have too much wax and cause streaking. If you get one that is good, it will last a long time but it's a toss up as I have had several that streak or don't pick up the dust. And yes, they were all the original California dusters, not imitations.
The following users liked this post:
1960 (09-21-2019)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:01 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,250 Likes on 915 Posts

Is there a new Cali Duster that is micro fiber instead of what the original duster is made of? Seems like someone here was commenting on a new MF duster.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:38 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
Is there a new Cali Duster that is micro fiber instead of what the original duster is made of? Seems like someone here was commenting on a new MF duster.
We offered one for awhile ... unfortunately without the paraffin wax strands and no static it kinda failed by moving dirt versus picking it up.

Get notified of new replies

To California Duster - Leaving Residue and Streaks

Quick Reply: California Duster - Leaving Residue and Streaks