Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Polish/glaze

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM
Spowell637
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Polish/glaze

I currently have a cybergray 2010 Corvette that is garaged. I polish and/or glaze it twice monthly. Any suggestions on a polish for best results? Currently using Meguiars #7.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:29 AM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spowell637
I currently have a cybergray 2010 Corvette that is garaged. I polish and/or glaze it twice monthly. Any suggestions on a polish for best results? Currently using Meguiars #7.
I would say Zaino's, since I use that and have for years, but as good as Zaino's is for all vehicles, it is really at its best on darker color vehicles. I have seen outstanding results on gray vehicles when applied with Zaino's, but I am sure there are other products out there that are great for lighter color vehicles. However, I will put money on the duriability will not be as great or last as long as Zaino will give you.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:49 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Zaino Z2-Pro looks great on Cyber Gray. For more pop follow with Clear Sealant and Z8 Grand Finale. You will love the wet look and durability. Maintain between full details with Z6 QD.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been using Meguiars Clay bar followed by Meguiars Mirror glaze #2 followed by Meguiars Scratch X, then Meguiars Gold Class wax. But I only do this every 2 to 3 months as the car is kept garaged.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kensmith
I have been using Meguiars Clay bar followed by Meguiars Mirror glaze #2 followed by Meguiars Scratch X, then Meguiars Gold Class wax. But I only do this every 2 to 3 months as the car is kept garaged.
I have used Meguiars on many different times early on and I have learned that I got a better and cleaner surface with #2, but it would like to me, as I still use #2 to prep my surface, but why do you follow it by using Scratch X? To me, you are doing the same process but less abbresive produce with the X.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Spowell637
you are likely using the terms incorrectly and may get wrong advice based upon certain terms.

Polishes -- abrasive pastes used to correct flaws and marring in paint while increasing gloss and reflection. A true polish has no protection benefits and find best results by machine but hand polishing is possible.

Glazes -- generally a product with no protection used to fill (temporary) light marring and often adds gloss or wetness depending on the design.

If you are looking for a pure wax (ie. protection) that will look as nice as a glaze like #7 but last longer consider our Pinnacle SigSeries II, Wolfgang Fuzion, or Blackfire Midnight Sun waxes.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:46 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Here is what I do on our 09 CG Coupe that is now 3 years old, every six months I start with the dawn wash, clay and wash again. Then I start with Menzenra SIP and orange pads to get out the swirls or imperfections, then detail spray before I do the next step (I do this between each step), then I use Menzenra Polish to get the shine really going, after that I use Wolfgang Sealer by hand easy on and easy off. Then the next day I use Wolfgang Fuzion Wax and I do this monthly as this keeps the shine really popping. The Fuzion Wax is so easy to use, put it on very thin, do one panel and take off.
Old 10-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c6vetteinhouston
I have used Meguiars on many different times early on and I have learned that I got a better and cleaner surface with #2, but it would like to me, as I still use #2 to prep my surface, but why do you follow it by using Scratch X? To me, you are doing the same process but less abbresive produce with the X.
After you use the Mirror Glaze #2, take a micro fiber towel and try to slide it over the paint. It will have resistance. Then try the same thing after using Scratch X, it will have much less resistance. It will give a smoother finish before waxing and to me, it leaves a more deep/clear look to the paint.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:16 PM
c6vetteinhouston
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Kensmith
After you use the Mirror Glaze #2, take a micro fiber towel and try to slide it over the paint. It will have resistance. Then try the same thing after using Scratch X, it will have much less resistance. It will give a smoother finish before waxing and to me, it leaves a more deep/clear look to the paint.
Makes since, but the funny thing is, is when I use #2, per directions. and when I wipe off the section I just worked with a 100% cotton towel if you laid the towel on that part, it will slide off with no effort on my part. that tells me, I have the cleanest surface I can get. I only use #2, followed by Griots pre-wax cleaner, when I want to strip off the current coats of Z5 I have applied and getting ready for my next few coats of Z5.

Last edited by c6vetteinhouston; 10-14-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Kensmith
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by c6vetteinhouston
Makes since, but the funny thing is, is when I use #2, per directions. and when I wipe off the section I just worked with a 100% cotton towel if you laid the towel on that part, it will slide off with no effort on my part. that tells me, I have the cleanest surface I can get. I only use #2, followed by Griots pre-wax cleaner, when I want to strip off the current coats of Z5 I have applied and getting ready for my next few coats of Z5.
Might be I had some residue when I did it? Not sure. I contacted Meguiars and they said the NEW Scratch X is much better than the old I am still using. Maybe it is more aggressive? I'm going to do some more research from Meguiars as their rep originally told be the #2 was more aggressive and the X was for very minor swirl type marks.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:18 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Alot of car shows this year, and found many of the best cars were using Bullet Polish. Met the guy at one and decided to give it a shot - couldn't be happier and the rides never looked so good. Durable, easy to apply, low maintenance. Finish is like liquid glass.

http://
http://
Old 10-15-2011, 11:00 AM
Bullet Proof
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Menzerna polish po85rd followed by wolfgang deep gloss sealant and top it off with pinnicle souveran wax

Last edited by Bullet Proof; 10-15-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:25 PM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by capevettes
Zaino Z2-Pro looks great on Cyber Gray. For more pop follow with Clear Sealant and Z8 Grand Finale. You will love the wet look and durability. Maintain between full details with Z6 QD.

Another vote for the Zaino. I prefer the Z2p/Z8 combo on Cyber Gray also.

Get notified of new replies

To Polish/glaze

Quick Reply: Polish/glaze