Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

PVD coating vs Chrome: Any feedback?

Old 01-02-2012, 12:32 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

Default PVD coating vs Chrome: Any feedback?

Anyone have any reviews on the new PVD chrome coatings vs the good old fashioned hardcoat chrome! The non-peeling is a + but how about the shine? scratch resistance etc?
Thanks!
Old 01-02-2012, 05:13 PM
djbrun
Melting Slicks

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

It all depends are where they are done and the condition of the sputtering system it is done in.

The Physical vapor deposition process uses a powder coat, PVD Cr, then PVD NiCr, and the last step is a powder coat.

If it is done correctly the adhesion will be fine. But, as some of the forum members here can tell you, if done incorrectly (Vacuum leaks in the sputtering system or gas lines, incorrect prep, dirty environment) it will have delamination issues.

We just threw out our last sample wheel, so I do not have any wheels left to take pictures of. The shine was good but I would think that the bath type Chrome process would be a higher shine. (No clear coat on the final finish.)

Since it is clear coat (powder coat) you can remove some scratches if needed.

DJ
Old 01-02-2012, 07:24 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

I believe chrome to still be more durable but needs care just like any wheel type. Chrome often pits when caustic brake dust and other damaging contaminents are allowed to sit on wheel for extended time etching the surface. A good cleaner, and chrome polish often keep them shiny and new.

Since PVD coatings are similar to a powdercoating/clearcoated wheel you likely need to use extra care in wheel cleaning products, polishing, and protecting. I am guessing that chipping "could" be a possibility and likely leaving nasty stuff on the surface could damage it also. The biggest benefit is likely most can handle them like a traditional painted wheel.
Old 07-20-2023, 05:28 PM
ZR1North
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default PVD vs Chrome

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
I believe chrome to still be more durable but needs care just like any wheel type. Chrome often pits when caustic brake dust and other damaging contaminents are allowed to sit on wheel for extended time etching the surface. A good cleaner, and chrome polish often keep them shiny and new.

Since PVD coatings are similar to a powdercoating/clearcoated wheel you likely need to use extra care in wheel cleaning products, polishing, and protecting. I am guessing that chipping "could" be a possibility and likely leaving nasty stuff on the surface could damage it also. The biggest benefit is likely most can handle them like a traditional painted wheel.
My experience with PVD on all four wheels left a lot to be desired. I wanted to replace my grey-painted wheels that came on the car from the factory with GM chrome wheels. A wheel dealer (not a GM dealer) convinced me to go the PVD route rather than chrome. The PVD wheels he provided were supposed to be factory wheels, and I don't contest that they were not. When I picked up the PVD wheels, I noticed that the finish was noticably less shiney than chrome on the outside of the wheel. The inside, which is obviously less visible, but still noticable with a spoke wheel design, had a smokey look, somewhat like overspray. I proceeded to install the PVD wheels anyway.

After four years and 7,000, summer and fine-weather only, miles, I noticed three of my four wheels peeling in several places. The wheel dealer was dismissive suggesting that northern weather and harsh chemicals by detailers can be hard on wheels. Neither of these reasons apply in my case because of when the car is driven and because only I clean the car with automotive and wheel cleaning products that I've used for years with no problem.

I finally gave up working with the wheel dealer and bought four new chrome factory wheels to replace the PVD wheels this summer. When the chrome wheels were stood side-by-side with the PVD wheels, the lacklusterness of the PVD wheels was even more obvious. Based on my experience, I would certainly not recommend the PVD option, at least not for wheels.
Old 07-20-2023, 06:52 PM
John Ulrich
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 270 Likes on 199 Posts

An old resurrection of mine!

I ended up with two sets of PVD wheels for winter tires on two vehicles. Not even close to the chrome wheel sets for same vehicles.

Treat them like they are painted. Scratch easily.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:50 AM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,237 Likes on 908 Posts

This thread is 11 1/2 years old.
The following 2 users liked this post by cmonkey713:
FYRARMS (07-21-2023), leebay (04-14-2024)
Old 04-12-2024, 09:19 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by cmonkey713
This thread is 11 1/2 years old.
diesn’t make a difference how old. It’s still the same. The PVD chrome doed not shine like chrome plating.

Get notified of new replies

To PVD coating vs Chrome: Any feedback?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PVD coating vs Chrome: Any feedback?