Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Best wax on Black Z06

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 06:47 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best wax on Black Z06

Just got myself an 08 Black Z06, and never had a black car, so just wondering what you guys reckon is the best paint protection for this.

Have always used Mothers Pure Carnauba Wax on my other vettes and camaros, but these were all light colours such as white which doesn't show paint swirls easy.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 08:23 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,558 Likes on 2,161 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Zaino Z5 would be my go to polish/sealant on a dark color. Use Z6 spray detailer for regular touch ups. You won't get a consensus on this as there are many fine products out there. You won't go wrong with this though
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 AM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

The only real way to hide swirls effectively on a dark colored car is to remove them. Start with a mild polish and pad and go from there.
If you don't already own a polisher, now is the time to get one. You'll need it with a black car. Random Orbital is probably the best way to go. No experience necessary to get good results with them. I love my Flex 3401.
Once you have the swirls out there are lots of good products out there. I prefer Chemical Guys 50/50 Paste Wax on my Lemans Blue paint. It's a little pricey, but goes on and off easily and leaves the finish looking fantastic.
I prefer paste to liquid. Others feel the other way. There is no right answer for all.
Lots of good paste waxes in that price range. The "best one" is really subjective. You really just need to experiment until you find one you like. Another way is to look around at other black cars and if you see one you really like, ask the owner what they use.
There are also some great sealants out there. Rejex is one that comes to mind that does a great job, has good durability, and is reasonably priced. I use it on my chrome wheels.
I like the way carnauba looks better than sealant on my paint. Again, this is really just a personal preference. Many others prefer the look of a sealant. Both are great, but different.
The most important thing with a dark colored car is the way you maintain it once you get it to where you want it.
I think it is almost impossible to avoid swirls completely, but you can slow them down considerably with proper washing and drying.
The two bucket method of washing using a good wash mitt along with quality waffle weaves and quick detailer for drying is the cheapest and easiest way to get started on proper maintenance.
From there you can add foam guns, electric leaf blowers, or even a Master Blaster to your arsenal.
Black cars can be a real pain to take care of. My daily driver is a black SUV. The upside is that once properly done they look fantastic.
Good luck with the new ride.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 AM
KYbaldguysC4
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Watching this post carefully, I also have my first black car with slight imperfections and swirl marks been studying the forum ans already got my clay bar

Don in Kentucky
Old 01-04-2012, 11:40 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by capevettes
Zaino Z5 would be my go to polish/sealant on a dark color. Use Z6 spray detailer for regular touch ups. You won't get a consensus on this as there are many fine products out there. You won't go wrong with this though
Old 01-04-2012, 04:44 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

black fire wet diamond
Old 01-04-2012, 04:45 PM
arkus
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KYbaldguysC4
Watching this post carefully, I also have my first black car with slight imperfections and swirl marks been studying the forum ans already got my clay bar

Don in Kentucky
You need to remove the swirl marks first ...............
Old 01-04-2012, 06:57 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Show Car Paint --- Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax (absolutely no substitute)

Everyday Paint --- Rejex, Wolfgang Sealant , Four Star, Duragloss, Wolfgang Fuzion, Blackfire
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Stan MI
Pro

Originally Posted by arkus
black fire wet diamond
IMHO !!!! Absolutely the best and easiest to use product on the market !!!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:45 PM
KYbaldguysC4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by arkus
You need to remove the swirl marks first ...............
Was planning on a lite polishing cleaning compound by hand first then the clay bar ?? how's that sound

Don
Old 01-04-2012, 10:08 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by Killrwheels@Autogeek
Show Car Paint --- Pinnacle Souveran Paste Wax (absolutely no substitute)

Everyday Paint --- Rejex, Wolfgang Sealant , Four Star, Duragloss, Wolfgang Fuzion, Blackfire
Really like Wolfgang products for a daily driver
Old 01-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

I've tried them all. For black cars I love the combination of Z-AIO followed by Z-5. AIO removes fine swirl marks and Z-5 fills fine swirl marks. I have found the combination of these two products work wonders and the durability is killer. You can layer coats of Z-5 to make the shine even deeper and wetter if you desire......
Old 01-05-2012, 04:43 PM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Thanks for all the suggestions, being in Australia, i haven't even heard of of most of those, but will see which ones i can access over here.

The paint on the car is pretty much mint, as the car has only 4000miles, i just don't want to use a product which will cause those unsightly swirls.

Just been reading about Zaino and Blackfire, both seem great, just see if i can get some here.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:27 PM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Does the 08 Z06 with black paint have a clear coat?
Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 PM
0Killrwheels@Autogeek
Former Vendor

Received 242 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie Vet
Thanks for all the suggestions, being in Australia, i haven't even heard of of most of those, but will see which ones i can access over here.

The paint on the car is pretty much mint, as the car has only 4000miles, i just don't want to use a product which will cause those unsightly swirls.

Just been reading about Zaino and Blackfire, both seem great, just see if i can get some here.
We ship international as needed. We also offer a forum and you will likely find a supporting vendor in your area.

www.autogeek.net
Originally Posted by Aussie Vet
Does the 08 Z06 with black paint have a clear coat?
yes
Old 01-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Z28ImpalaSS
Pro

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by KYbaldguysC4
Was planning on a lite polishing cleaning compound by hand first then the clay bar ?? how's that sound

Don
Wash it first, then Claybar before you do any polishing. Claybarring first will make it polish a whole lot easier with better results.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:22 PM
cegusa
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Stan MI
IMHO !!!! Absolutely the best and easiest to use product on the market !!!

I have used this Blackfire recently on Torch Red topped with Wolfgang Fuzion. I really like the way it turned out. Extremely easy to work with, (a reasonable amount easier than Rejex and Zaino, I have used both) and very nice depth and gloss. Unfortunately at this time, I can't speak for durability since I've only washed it a few times since and don't drive in inclement weather. That being said, As easy as it was to work with, I wouldn't mind a shorter span between applications.

Get notified of new replies

To Best wax on Black Z06

Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 PM
wysiwyg
Racer

I've got a black C6 which is my daily driver.

I use Meguiars M105/205 for polishing. M105 is aggressive so only use if it truly needed.

I like to use S100 wax.

Leaves a deep, wet shine.
The following users liked this post:
Sailor Rick (08-17-2016)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:25 AM
Aussie Vet
Racer

Thanks guys,

Just found a source for Zaino in Australia, so i guess i will try that, seems like a winner.
Old 01-08-2012, 12:08 PM
BlackRoseNY92
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Swirls & Scratches

I have a 92 BlackRose. Years ago I brought it to a detailer that was recommended to me. The long and short of it is he let a rookie do my car and left me with more swirls then when I brought it to him. Made me sick literally & physically.
I had spoke to a few people and another detailer suggested I use Zymol Polish (after washing and drying of course) then apply a good carnauba wax. (Been using Meguiars) This actually works pretty well. Although I still see them. I can get a bit **** with my OCD and all and wondered if I can do anything else. I will not use a machine & I will not give it to anyone ever again.
Any suggestions?

Thanks
OCD

Quick Reply: Best wax on Black Z06